Windows 10: Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel (Backup & Restore)

Discus and support Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel (Backup & Restore) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by garg, Feb 3, 2016.

1. garg Win User

Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel (Backup & Restore)

Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my "ACER Aspire E1 472P- 6491" laptop by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 . I do not have a Windows (8.1 or 10) product key , as the Windows was pre-loaded on the laptop .

Now I want to make a " Windows10 Recovery Drive ", which can be used later to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot or to reset/troubleshoot any problems on Windows10 . Accordingly I tried to Create Factory Default Backup via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option, but I found that it is meant for Windows 7 or 8.1 only ( which means that the system can be recovered back to Windows 7 or 8.1 only – not Windows 10 ) .

I am surpised as to why Backup & Restore is meant for Windows 7 only , when I have upgraded to Windows 10 already . In fact I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 ( not Windows 7 ), then why it is taking me back to Windows 7 ? Can I not create a Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup for Windows10 for future use , after I have upgraded to Windows 10 ? If not , then how to make a Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive .

I expect some Microsoft representative to reply & explain on the following points –

a) After upgradation to Windows 10 , why Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option is meant for Windows 7 ( or 8.1 ) recovery .

b) How to create Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup that will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot in future .

Thanks in advance .

==================================================================================================== ===========

:)

garg, Feb 3, 2016
  2. SG2015SG Win User

Recovery USB Media/Drive for Windows 10 - via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )

Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive
    - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my "ACER Aspire E1 472P- 6491" laptop by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 . I do not have a Windows (8.1 or 10) product
    key , as the Windows was pre-loaded on the laptop .

Now I want to make a " Windows10 Recovery Drive ", which can be used later to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot or to reset/troubleshoot any problems on Windows10 . Accordingly I tried to Create Factory Default
    Backup via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option, but I found that it is meant for Windows 7
    or 8.1 only ( which means that the system can be recovered back to Windows 7
    or 8.1 only – not Windows 10 ) .

I am surpised as to why Backup & Restore is meant for Windows 7 only , when I have upgraded to Windows 10 already . In fact I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 ( not Windows 7 ), then why it is
    taking me back to Windows 7 ? Can I not create a Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup for Windows10 for future use , after I have upgraded to Windows 10 ? If not , then how to make a Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive .

I expect some Microsoft representative
    to reply & explain on the following points –

a) After upgradation to Windows 10 , why
    Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option is meant for Windows 7 ( or 8.1 ) recovery .

b) How to create Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup
    that will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot in future .

Thanks in advance .

===============================================================================================================

SG2015SG, Feb 3, 2016
  3. SG2015SG Win User
    Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) - Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive

Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive
    - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my "ACER Aspire E1 472P- 6491" laptop by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 . I do not have a Windows (8.1 or 10) product
    key , as the Windows was pre-loaded on the laptop .

Now I want to make a " Windows10 Recovery Drive ", which can be used later to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot or to reset/troubleshoot any problems on Windows10 . Accordingly I tried to Create Factory Default
    Backup via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option, but I found that it is meant for Windows 7
    or 8.1 only ( which means that the system can be recovered back to Windows 7
    or 8.1 only – not Windows 10 ) .

I am surpised as to why Backup & Restore is meant for Windows 7 only , when I have upgraded to Windows 10 already . In fact I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 ( not Windows 7 ), then why it is
    taking me back to Windows 7 ? Can I not create a Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup for Windows10 for future use , after I have upgraded to Windows 10 ? If not , then how to make a Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive .

I expect some Microsoft representative
    to explain and reply on the following points –

a) After upgradation to Windows 10 , why
    Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option is meant for Windows 7 ( or 8.1 ) recovery .

b) How to create Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup
    that will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot in future .

Thanks in advance .

===============================================================================================================

SG2015SG, Feb 3, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this forum is run by fellow users.. if you'd like to attract the attention of MS employees, suggest trying technet - a MS forum.
    Technet forums

To answer (a): Here's a MS answer (a little searching finds this helpful info):
    Backup and Restore - Microsoft Community

To answer (b): From the tutorial section:
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I would also strongly suggest you look into 3rd party disk imaging, generally preferred, which allows you to restore your system to how it was when you created the image, back up your data, and generally let you sleep at night *chuckle

Hope that's useful.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2016
  5. garg Win User
    ============================================================================
    I shall welcome reply/comments from any expert/user to explain the points raised by me . Thanks

garg, Feb 4, 2016
  6. garg Win User
    I shall welcome reply/comments from any expert/user to explain the points raised by me . Thanks
    ========================================================================

garg, Feb 4, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    I am afraid it is your lack of understanding that is the issue.

Firstly, you are wrong about the backup and restore (Windows 7).

It works for Windows 10 fine. It is just badly named - it just means backup and restore, using the imaging backup method as initially used in Windows 7, rather than the newer File History Backup as introduced in Windows 8.

I recommend 3rd party apps like Macrium Reflect Free as much more powerful (and reliable).

Also, you are wrong about creating a usb recovery drive.

You simply go to control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, and click to copy system files

In any case, you do not really need a recovery drive for windows 10, as Windows 10 no longer uses recovery partitions as such.

It rebuilds the OS from protected folders within Windows 10 rather than having a separate copy of OS in a recovery partition.

To this end, a recovery usb is not really much different to a clean installation usb, but is slightly more convenient to use. TBH - you have to recreate it any way after each build update anyway.

Windows 10 is by far the easiest version to reinstall, as you do not even need an installation key if using digital activation, or PC has it preinstalled, or you buy a key from the store etc.

Also, due to new build models, the isos on the MS site are always reasonably up to date, so you no longer get the ziilions of updates needed to be downloaded any more.

If you find when you go to use Recovery options, the reset option refers toWindows 7/8, that is because you probably still have the old recovery partitions on the drive. If you had deleted them during the install, they would not be referred to.

It is best practice to image backup drives before upgrading, and then installing Windows 10, deleting all partitions (except any data partitions) you may wish to keep.

Finally, this forum is not affiliated to MS. If you expect an MS rep to respond, ask MS.

cereberus, Feb 4, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Did you actually read my reply above?

dalchina, Feb 4, 2016
  9. garg Win User
    ===========================================================================

Thanks for your reply . However to make my point more clear I am citing a case and look forward to specific reply .

" In my other Laptop Windows 10 was installed ( upgrade from 8.1 ) . Its hard disk (HDD) is now crashed which has been replaced with a new one . No recovery/back up drive was ever made . No Code for Win 8.1 is available as it was preinstalled. Now the problem is as to how to get back Windows 10 , as Microsoft does not recognize the new HDD . What is the solution . "

Shall appreciate your reply . Thanks in advance .

garg, Feb 6, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Install it from scratch by creating a usb installation stick or dvd.

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  11. Josbeph Win User
    Here's how to create a recovery disk.
    1. Download Rufus from rufus.akeo.ie
    2. Download a Windows 10 ISO (you can get them from Microsoft)
    3. Open rufus
    4. What you will do is create a bootable usb for windows 10
    5. If your laptop ever fails, just boot it up and choose repair my computer!
    6. Simples!

Josbeph, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel (Backup & Restore) - Similar Threads - Windows10 Recovery USB

2. Does Control Panel's "Backup & Restore" work with Win 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Control Panel's "Backup & Restore" work with Win 10 Pro?: The Control Panel app "Backup and Restore" has saved me numerous times over the years from Windows 8 to Windows 10 Home.Does anyone know if it works with Windows 10 Pro?I only see one file created which makes me nervous.If not, can you recommend a simple to use...
  3. Does Control Panel's "Backup & Restore" work with Win 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Control Panel's "Backup & Restore" work with Win 10 Pro?: The Control Panel app "Backup and Restore" has saved me numerous times over the years from Windows 8 to Windows 10 Home.Does anyone know if it works with Windows 10 Pro?I only see one file created which makes me nervous.If not, can you recommend a simple to use...
  4. Does Control Panel's "Backup & Restore" work with Win 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup and Restore Windows 7 in Control Panel doesn't recognize USB HDD after Feature...

Backup and Restore Windows 7 in Control Panel doesn't recognize USB HDD after Feature...: Backup and Restore Windows 7 in Control Panel doesn't recognize USB HDD after Feature update to Windows 10 version 2004. Backup and Restore gives he message that it can't find a drive to backup to when I have the USB HDD plugged in which I've been using for backup with this...
  6. Restore Point on Windows10 with DualBoot stay forever in the restore panel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Point on Windows10 with DualBoot stay forever in the restore panel: I have a pc with windows 10 and Linux mint. I made some changes on my windows 10, but because I didn't like it, I tried to use a restore point that wassaved especially for this occasion. I made the procedure and everythingwas apparently okay, but after one day the restore...
  7. Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?

Backup, Create a Restore Point or Create a Recovery Drive?: In case I get a virus, I want to create a backup which can make the computer exactly as it was before the virus with all files, programs, and disk drives (C and D) exactly as they were. Something like Apple's Time Machine. Windows has three different options and I don't which...
  8. Is there anyway to restore classic control panel?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there anyway to restore classic control panel?: Is there anyway to restore classic control and disable settings apps, I know you can still open classic personalization menu but I also want all the other settings who were moved into windows settings app. 123275
  9. Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) > Creat a system...

Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) > Creat a system...: Over two years ago, someone posted this same issue with the title: backup and restore (0x807800C5) and (0x8078004F) The issue was never properly addressed, was never resolved, yet the thread was closed. I followed all the suggestions in the thread, including performing a...
  10. usb boot from restart vs recovery options in control panel

usb boot from restart vs recovery options in control panel: when attempting to install win 10 from a usb drive is there a difference between restarting the pc with usb as first in boot order in bios vs in win8.1 control panel recovery options advanced options using it to restart and boot from usb devive. when i restart my usb...