Windows 10: Windows10 reinstall or restore or...?

Discus and support Windows10 reinstall or restore or...? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys. New to the forums. I have a dell inspiron 7000 series with windows 10 home. Any dell I've ever owned has always had a bad install of windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Windows10 reinstall or restore or...?

Hey guys. New to the forums. I have a dell inspiron 7000 series with windows 10 home. Any dell I've ever owned has always had a bad install of windows. I used to tech on windows 7 down to windows 95, but have very little experience with 10 since I left the field. I used to fdisk, delete partition, format and then let windows partition the drive from there. Windows 10 is WAY different. If I download the factory image from dell onto a USB, how would I go about wiping the disk and doing a fresh install of 10. I'm guessing the image would include drivers, etc. Also, is virus protection even needed anymore? I've got a lifetime subscription to trend micro antivirus+, but I don't know how well windows 10 has evolved. Any help would be much appreciated! I've already got a backup of my computer currently on a separate external, so i'm not worried about anything with my data. Beyond the normal OS headache I have, I downloaded a HDD update via dell for Seagate, which didn't install at all and made my computer continually boot to "Seagate firmware upgrade tool" instead of the OS. I fixed that, but even in bios that's what it had as a boot. What a headache... any help is much appreciated! Thank you.

:)

SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 15, 2016
  2. Ayush Roy Win User

Unable to launch an application...long story!

Good morning,

Thanks for your answer. I don't have any restore points before

the problem came. I am thinking to reinstall Windows10 on my PC. Creating a new account did not help. I am planning to reinstall Windows10 on my PC. This HP Envy came with Windows10 pre-installed (it's a new PC). Do I need a product key? If ues, where can
    I find it?

Thanks

Ayush Roy, Jan 15, 2016
  3. reinstalling windows10

Hi I have just read your message as I have a similar problem the four lies that need typiny in do I type them as one line because when I have finished the first line and hit enter the computer tries to work on the first line ????

John Tregunna, Jan 15, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows10 reinstall or restore or...?

This is what I do with a new computer:

On an external drive, make a folder - I like to call mine DriversXX where XX is the version of Windows currently installed (81, 10, 7). Also on this external drive I like to store an image of the original HDD/SDD created by Macrium Reflect Free.

From an elevated command prompt run:
    DISM.exe /Online /Export-Driver /Destination:E:\DriversXX

Obviously put the path to the created folder for what is in red. That exports all the third party drivers on the computer. Then I boot from a vanilla Windows 10 install USB/DVD created with either the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool or an ISO downloaded from Tech Bench (preferred), select the custom install option, delete all the existing partitions on the HDD/SSD, install to the unallocated space.

After install, open Device Manager and any hardware without drivers or with driver problems, I update driver software, browse my computer, and just point it to the DriversXX folder I created on the external drive and let it install the driver that was there previously.

Easy as pie and I don't have to figure out what the "unknown device" is under device manager and where to get the driver from. The only problem I have had doing it what way was with a Nextbook Tablet that needed a registry entry from the factory Windows 8.1 to set the orientation for the screen rotation sensor. Had to restore back to the 8.1 image I had made to export the registry entry.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  5. So windows 10 does give you the option to delete a partition and install from USB? Dell has an image already made for my specific computer, so if it allows me to wipe the drive clean and reinstall, that would make me happy. I'm not as crazy into cleaning out the registry, editing startup, etc. As I once was. I just want fast and simple, I mainly use our for browsing and picture editing. The OCD in me wants the install perfect though, a solid base to work from.

SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 15, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2016
  7. hmm, I made an image from the dell website and mounted it to USB, but when I boot to it it brings me to the windows 10 recovery console or whatever it is. How do I get to where I can delete paritions and such?

SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 16, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

What you will end up with, though, is probably the factory software load with all of Dell included apps and extra software. When you select the option to reset your PC, there should be an option to erase the HDD and load from scratch.

If you want a clean install of Windows 10 only, then you need to create the Windows 10 install USB from Microosft - not Dell - as stated in Post #4

NavyLCDR, Jan 16, 2016
  9. thank you, i'll give this a shot. "simple" is confusing. I much rather liked doing it through command prompt, etc.

SuzukiGS750EZ, Jan 16, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    I have been using pcs since beginning, and installing windows 10 using a usb stick is so simple compared with old days.

Create usb stick, boot from it, select custom install, wipe all partition and install.

Re antivirus.Windows Defender is fine these days.

cereberus, Jan 16, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Yeah insert diskette 1 to 13 and than all over again, good old days !!!

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows10 reinstall or restore or...? - Similar Threads - Windows10 reinstall restore

2. Reinstalling windows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling windows10: My computer will not boot to windows. I created a windows installation disk on a usb. I get to the part about the partitions. The directions say I should delete all partitions and be left with allocated space. I have not done anything yet because I do not see the allocated...
  3. reinstall windows10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reinstall windows10: About 2 yrs ago, running under W7, I picked up a virus that prevented my desktop PC from booting. I decided to take a brute force approach to the situation, and simply kill the virus by reinstalling W7. So I went to Micro center Rockville MD and forked over about $100 for a...
  4. windows10 reinstall

windows10 reinstall: why does my c: drive show full after windows10 reinstall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-reinstall/b3884bf8-45f6-49fb-8b62-f6d2cf78a21e
  5. Windows10 Reinstallation

Windows10 Reinstallation: I have a WIN10 Home retail box with flashdrive. After 6 months the SSD I installed Win10 on has become flakey. I have a new SSD. All of my files are on other drives. So, the only thing I need to do is reinstall Windows10 and a few programs. What is the best way to...
  6. Reinstallation of Windows10

Reinstallation of Windows10: I have a fairly old Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows10. To try to speed up my laptop, I want to wipe everything and reinstall Windows but I do not have the CDs because the laptop obviously came with an earlier version of Windows originally My question is:- Is it legal and...
  7. Reinstall Windows10 and restore apps/data after reformat?

Reinstall Windows10 and restore apps/data after reformat?: I upgraded to Windows10 from WIndows7 sometime ago and have just kept cloning my hard drive whenever I needed a drive upgrade. I've ended up with a 2T NTFS drive with Windows10 that has a messed up boot record and also won't update the OS. I'm thinking I need to (or should)...
  8. restore in windows10

restore in windows10: Should I stay near by my computer all the time that takes to restore because whenever I left it and come back I find it shutdown then I have to restore the whole process again....
  9. Restoring Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Windows10: Hi, I'm new here and I hope I have this question in the correct area. First off. I have 2 windows 10 in my house. one is almost 4 yrs old and the other is a week old. The newer win10 had some serious issues and Windows10 itself need to be reinstalled. We recently had a...
  10. Reinstalling windows10

Reinstalling windows10: I purchased a lenovo thinkpad laptop with lisenced windows10. I had no back up or recovery disk made then. I only have the lisence key. Now i have to format the system and reinstall original lisenced windows. How to do it??...