Windows 10: Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive

Discus and support Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is there a preferred program and method to simply clone an SSD install of Win10 to a freshly formatted hard disk with plenty of room. Format and MBR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by loninappleton, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive

Is there a preferred program and method to simply clone an SSD install of Win10 to a freshly formatted hard disk with plenty of room. Format and MBR was done through Win10 on the SSD to the HD.

I have been having a repeated problem of drive recognition after running Norton Ghost which says
    successful completion in the usual way. Then on reboot I get the grey screen for Boot Manager which says if I recall right no device connected. The HD shows up at POST etc and is just in the Boot area so far as I can see.

Full disclosure is I haven't gotten the proper thumb drive yet to make a Win10 Repair disk to get
    to the MBR and fix boot commands.

Is this a known problem and is there a good solution?

One other thing on this: On the SSD how can I check for a System overwrite which could display as Win10 (Restored) just like that in parenthesis? The boot error message contains this drive identifier phrase where it should not exist.

:)

loninappleton, Aug 18, 2018

2. cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Aug 18, 2018
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Aug 18, 2018
  4. Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive

Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

Also to make it clear when cloning both the source (your hard drive) and the destination drive (your SSD) must both be connected.

When Imaging only the source (hard drive) and an external USB drive to store the image need be connected. After the Image Backup is created you remove the hard drive, connect the SSD and restore the image (using the image backup product's "Recovery Media"
    which you need to create and boot from) to the SSD. Most products also have a "SSD" option check box to properly configure the SSD offset.

You can read a product's user's guide to see exactly what step are required for cloning or imaging.

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive

1. Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Windowss cannot clone

2. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?: Hi Microsoft Community,I'm trying to clone my data and licensed version of Windows 10 Home from my old HHD drive to a new Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. It clones fine but when I install the new SSD hard drive into my laptop it will...
  3. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?: Hi Microsoft Community,I'm trying to clone my data and licensed version of Windows 10 Home from my old HHD drive to a new Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. It clones fine but when I install the new SSD hard drive into my laptop it will...
  4. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  6. Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD: I tried to clone my HDD drive to brand new SSD drive by using Macrium Rreflect.During the cloning it requested access to new driveSSD and it failed.. Afterwards the message "unable to match partition - Drive 0, Start Sector 50620416 - MFT corrupt" appeared. After own a disk...
  7. Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD: I tried to clone my HDD drive to brand new SSD drive by using Macrium Rreflect.During the cloning it requested access to new driveSSD and it failed.. Afterwards the message "unable to match partition - Drive 0, Start Sector 50620416 - MFT corrupt" appeared. After own a disk...
  8. Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  10. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880