Windows 10: Winver shows two different versions on two machines

Discus and support Winver shows two different versions on two machines in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Win 10 installed on two machines. The first, an HP Laptop, came from the factory with W10 and quickly updated itself to version 1511 OSbuild... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, Nov 22, 2015.

1. JJG10 Win User

Winver shows two different versions on two machines

I have Win 10 installed on two machines.

The first, an HP Laptop, came from the factory with W10 and quickly updated itself to version 1511 OSbuild 10586 according to Winver.

The second, a Dell Destop, was updated from Win 7 to Win 10 back in December and after the latest update yesterday shows version 10 Build 10240 according to Winver.

Why the difference? Shouldn't they be the same?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Nov 22, 2015

2. Display issues on two different Nvidia machines caused by most recent update

Yes I have downloaded the Nvidia Geforce experience and downloaded all latest updates, which unfortunately did not resolve my problem. I then tried the steps in the other thread for AMD and tried uninstalling the device from device manager when in safe
    mode and then allowing it to reinstall but am left with the same issue.

It is strange that this is affecting two entirely different machines. Are there any other suggestions?

Winver shows two different versions on two machines [​IMG]

KyleStanfield, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Jaune Bel Win User
    Display issues on two different Nvidia machines caused by most recent update

We appreciate your time responding back to us with more details. Since updating the drivers won't resolve the issue, we suggest that you roll back the display drivers of your PC. We'd like to know if you can access the
    Device Manager.

The Device Manager has the list of your drivers that you could either update or roll it back. To access the
    Device Manager, Right-click the Windows icon > Select
    Device Manager > Click the drop-down icon beside the Display adapters > Right-click your graphics driver and select
    Properties > On the Driver tab, select
    Roll Back Driver

Let us know if the above resolution fixed the issue.

Jaune Bel, Nov 22, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Your HP gets the most current build, 10586. It must have been updated BEFORE Nov 21st.
    Your Dell gets the older build, 10240. It was updated on or AFTER Nov 21st.

The reason :
    Version Windows 10 10586 was released by Microsoft about a few days ago. Then on November 21st, MS took it off and replaced it with the older version 10240.

Microsoft has tried to explain, but the attempt is feeble, at best. To me MS does not make sense, period.
    Presumably, the new 10586 will be released through Windows Update again ..... soon.

davidhk, Nov 22, 2015
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you very much. That is a clear explanation.

JJG10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Winver shows two different versions on two machines - Similar Threads - Winver shows different

2. Two Computers, Different Versions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Computers, Different Versions: Hi! I have two computers in the Windows Insider Program. Both of them have been upgraded to Windows 11, but apparently different versions. COMPUTER 1: Lenovo Desktop AIO, A12 Processor, Windows Insider Preview Evaluation Copy Build 22478.rs_prerelease.211008-1414.COMPUETR 2:...
  3. Two Computers, Different Versions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Computers, Different Versions: Hi! I have two computers in the Windows Insider Program. Both of them have been upgraded to Windows 11, but apparently different versions. COMPUTER 1: Lenovo Desktop AIO, A12 Processor, Windows Insider Preview Evaluation Copy Build 22478.rs_prerelease.211008-1414.COMPUETR 2:...
  4. Two different versions of win 10 home.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two different versions of win 10 home.: Good morning. First, I have a copy of win 10 home upgraded from my win 7. It is alive and well. I have version 21H1.I am a "computer tweaker". A long way from a computer "gooroo". I enjoy seeing what I can make them do.I am running a HP Pavilion dv6 with a AMD processor. I...
  5. Two PCs but two different internet speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two PCs but two different internet speeds: I get on about 450Mbps on my several Dell Windows 10 PCs. However, one of my Dell PCs is running Windows 7. The speed on it is about 8Mbps. All of the PCs are networked via Cat5 cables. My iPhones see about 100Mbps wireless of course.So is it Windows 7 that causes the...
  6. I have two product keys to same Microsoft account on two different machines

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have two product keys to same Microsoft account on two different machines: Hello,I have two product keys to same Microsoft account on two different machines one on my laptop and one on my PC, is it OK?i mean i log in with my same Microsoft account on my two different computers one windows home and one windows pro ....
  7. Two different problems reported by two different browsers for Outlook.

in Browsers and Email
    Two different problems reported by two different browsers for Outlook.: This started about three days ago and is consistent with Microsoft Edge and hit or miss with Firefox, except that Firefox has the option to accept the risk and continue on to sign-in. Both browsers are fully up to date but the funny thing is, my smart phone uses the same...
  8. Setting the default application with two versions on the machine?

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting the default application with two versions on the machine?: I have both Sketchup 2019 and 2020 0n my machine. However, 2019 is the default application listed for the .skp files. Of course I get and error when it tries to open a file created in the newer 2020. I tried setting the default to 2020 through the file type properties but no...
  9. Two users, two different environments on a laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two users, two different environments on a laptop: Likely a newbie question... I don't have a laptop so I can't check right now. Windows 10 x64 Pro two users. Is it possible to have two environments / desktops (maybe something like admin and guest?) on a laptop? which desktop showing up depending on the login credentials?...
  10. Two (little) different BSOD in two days.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two (little) different BSOD in two days.: Hi, Two (little) different BSOD in two days. The first yesterday while I was not using the PC (but many apps open), I heard him restart. I checked the memory, no problem. I checked all my drives, no problem, I installed the latest AMD drivers and today I got the second...