Windows 10: WinZip encryption compatible with Win 10 Unzipper?

Discus and support WinZip encryption compatible with Win 10 Unzipper? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I create WinZip Compressed Folders containing files that are encrypted. WinZip has lots of options for different encryption methods but I'd like one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by larrymcg, Jul 8, 2016.

1. larrymcg Win User

WinZip encryption compatible with Win 10 Unzipper?

I create WinZip Compressed Folders containing files that are encrypted. WinZip has lots of options for different encryption methods but I'd like one that the standard, built-in, Windows 10 compression tools can decrypt. I want this because I copy WinZip compressed folders to another Win10 PC that does not have WinZip installed.

So, which WinZip encryption methods are compatible with the Windows compressions tools?

-- Larry

:)

larrymcg, Jul 8, 2016
  2. TCMan Win User

Microsoft Edge vs Adobe Reader

I finally tracked down this issue. Turns out it was related to WinZip of all things!

Older versions apparently have compatibility issues with Win.10.

Updating WinZip to a newer (not necessarily the latest) version has resolved things. WinZip encryption compatible with Win 10 Unzipper? :)

--

TCMan, Jul 8, 2016
  3. Winzip not working with Windows 10

what version of Winzip do you have installed under Windows 10, Homes First nonprofit?

There are problems using really old versions of Winzip under Windows 10:

Windows 10 - An app default was reset (older WinZip versions)

Important quote from that article: "NOTE: WinZip versions 17.5 and older were not designed for use on Windows 10 and are not fully compatible. We advise that you upgrade to the latest version
    of WinZip when installing on Windows 10."

Best to use either v19.5 or the newer v20 release of
    Winzip
    under Windows 10.

erpmanila3w, Jul 8, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Almost certainly, none.

For security reasons Microsoft has never published the precise details of how their encryption works. As such WinZip would not be able to legally create a compatible encryption method even if they wanted to, which they probably wouldn't.

LMiller7, Jul 8, 2016
  5. larrymcg Win User
    Taking a wild guess, I tried encrypting with WinZip "Legacy (Zip 2.0)". Win 10 can open the compressed file and apply the password to decrypt the file just fine. So there is at least one form of encryption from WinZip that can be handled by Win 10 built-in tools.

I'm wondering if there are others.

-- Larry

larrymcg, Jul 8, 2016
  6. larrymcg Win User
    For some reason I thought that WinZip had lots of options for the kind of encryption. Actually, there are only three: AES-256, AES-128, and Zip 2.0. I have tested all three and only the Zip 2.0 encryption can be decrypted by the built-in Win 10 tools.

Cheers,
    Larry

larrymcg, Jul 10, 2016
  7. Your question has indeed served another purpose of letting other users learn about supported encryption methods by the system.
    Thank you. *Smile

Shadow Delta, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WinZip encryption compatible with Win 10 Unzipper? - Similar Threads - WinZip encryption compatible

2. Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11: I recently built a new system with a hardware combo for WIN 11, and moved my old hard disks over to the new system. During the change, I could not boot to my old boot drive due to it being NTFS. I used a new SSD and was able to get it formatted and installed windows there,...
  3. Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11: I recently built a new system with a hardware combo for WIN 11, and moved my old hard disks over to the new system. During the change, I could not boot to my old boot drive due to it being NTFS. I used a new SSD and was able to get it formatted and installed windows there,...
  4. winzip

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    winzip: how i reinstale winzip drivers udtade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winzip/36f7d520-9291-4afa-ae74-54e35eba15d2
  5. WinZip

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    WinZip: WinZip: Microsoft charged me for an annual subscription which I did not want. PayPal refused to refund my money because I had already cancelled the subscription. I cancelled the next day after I saw the subscription had been taken by Microsoft. Now, after months, I figure...
  6. winzip

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    winzip: How to stop winzip appearing as a pop up everyday? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/winzip/1e0242b6-17e1-463b-a8df-a8ba77baf0b5
  7. WinZip

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WinZip: Is WinZip a virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winzip/f15e7abb-085f-4b5e-ae35-0791e7a77ec3"
  8. winzip where can i download winzip for windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    winzip where can i download winzip for windows 10: where can i download winzip for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winzip-where-can-i-download-winzip-for-windows-10/6ca6f430-55c6-44bf-a8c0-c86c663d0ace"
  9. Compatibility with win 10

in Cortana
    Compatibility with win 10: Is it "Stream what you hear? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compatibility-with-win-10/3064d8c5-2349-42d4-9215-bb107aa6189d"
  10. encrypt win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    encrypt win 10: Hello I have heard so much about privacy or the lack of it, like Windows being able to see my private folders in the EULA. Is there a third party encryption program I can protect my machine with? I say 3rd party for the obvious as I do not want a backdoor peeking. TY 22891

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winzip encryption windows compatibility

2. how to decrypt .doples file format

3. Is winzip enterprise a decryption backdoor for all winzip users