Windows 10: Wipe upgraded Windows 10 to sell

Discus and support Wipe upgraded Windows 10 to sell in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning to sell my Surface Pro 3. I upgraded it to Windows 10 (but not the Creators update). I would just like to be sure that if I select the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sberti, Apr 18, 2017.

1. sberti Win User

Wipe upgraded Windows 10 to sell

I'm planning to sell my Surface Pro 3.
    I upgraded it to Windows 10 (but not the Creators update).
    I would just like to be sure that if I select the "Remove Everything" (from the "Reset this Computer" screen) that this will not remove my Windows 10.
    I'm concerned that since I bought it with Windows 8, that it might revert to Windows 8, if I do this reset.
    Will the computer keep Windows 10 if I do the Remove Everything?

:)

sberti, Apr 18, 2017
  2. TomFugate Win User

computer factory default reset

A friend passed away. Her computer came with Windows 8 or 8.1 (i forget which) It was then upgraded to windows 10 via the free upgrade. her family wants me to wipe the computer to get it ready to sell. is there any way to do the factory reset and then
    get it back to windows 10 without any additional expense? The wipe is being done not because of any problems but just to remove personal information.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TomFugate, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Disassociate windows 10 upgrade based on retail license from hardware?

Since windows 10 upgrade bases it's authentication on a hardware footprint, how can I retain my windows 7 retail license rights when/if I sell the hardware it's currently installed on?

My intention is to wipe the HDD and sell the hardware as a full PC without OS but my understanding is that if the buyer were to attempt to install windows 10 from the ISO that it would automatically pick up the key based on hardware.

Is there any way for me to keep my purchased licensing rights or does the new upgrade license override those?

stevenswilson, Apr 18, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Apr 18, 2017
  5. sberti Win User
    Thanks. Appreciate the reply.
    I didn't make a recovery disc when I bought my Surface Pro 3.
    I'm going to make one now before I do the reset. Just wondering if the recovery disc will hold my personal data or just the operating system.

sberti, Apr 18, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Recovery Drive makes a USB. If you tick 'include system files' it has all the files needed to restore a clean system. It should also include any OEM customizations. No personal data is written to a Recovery Drive.

7. sberti Win User
    Thanks!

EDIT:
    Now I have another question:
    During my SP3 reset, I have a screen with the following message:
    "A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
    WARNING: Clearing erases information stored on the TPM. You will lose all created keys and access to data encrypted by those keys.
    Press F12 to Clear the TPM
    Press Esc to reject this change request and continue"

I don't know which to do. Can anyone help?

sberti, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wipe upgraded Windows 10 to sell - Similar Threads - Wipe upgraded sell

2. Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10: Hello,I have a desktop running Windows 10 and I'm getting ready to sell it. I chose to delete all files from all drives and toggled "clean data" on. At one point in the reset process, I saw a confirmation screen. I forget exactly what it said now but I said yes/confirmed...
  3. Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10: Hello,I have a desktop running Windows 10 and I'm getting ready to sell it. I chose to delete all files from all drives and toggled "clean data" on. At one point in the reset process, I saw a confirmation screen. I forget exactly what it said now but I said yes/confirmed...
  4. Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?: Hello everyone,I hope this message finds you all well. I am planning to sell my old Android phone, and I want to make sure that all my personal data is completely and securely erased before I do so.I understand the importance of protecting personal information, and I've heard...
  6. How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?: Hello everyone,I hope this message finds you all well. I am planning to sell my old Android phone, and I want to make sure that all my personal data is completely and securely erased before I do so.I understand the importance of protecting personal information, and I've heard...
  7. Question about wiping laptop to sell later

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about wiping laptop to sell later: I'm resetting my wife's old laptop so we can sell it. When the reset is complete, and Windows starts wanting me to add a name, location and all the other personalization stuff, is it possible to simply shut off the laptop at that time without entering any info like that? I...
  8. Wiping PC and upgrading windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping PC and upgrading windows 10: I have Windows 10 education edition but no longer have access to the college account it is registered to, meaning I no longer have admin privileges on my own computer. I own a new copy of Windows 10 Home. How do I go about wiping my pc and downloading it? submitted by...
  9. how to wipe clean hp stream to sell

how to wipe clean hp stream to sell: wipe clean hp stream to sell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-wipe-clean-hp-stream-to-sell/812bc9cb-2082-44e6-8a76-4efd55a2f347
  10. Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling

Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling: The HP Pavilion desktop originally came with Windows 7 and I still have the product key on the sticker. We did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I plan on using DBAN to completely wipe it before reinstalling Windows 10 so I can sell it to a stranger. How would I go about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to wipe a hard drive for selling windows 10 with upgraded pro

2. selling an upgraded pc windows 10