Windows 10: Wiped My Computer By Accident

Discus and support Wiped My Computer By Accident in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have done something really stupid and wiped my hard drives on my Lenovo laptop and now have nothing at all to boot up. For information I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maxal, Apr 11, 2017.

1. maxal Win User

Wiped My Computer By Accident

Hi, I have done something really stupid and wiped my hard drives on my Lenovo laptop and now have nothing at all to boot up. For information I was using Mini Tool Partion and thought I was wiping an external hard drive that I had connected via usb. I am looking for some advise on whats the best way to get my laptop up and running again please.

:)

maxal, Apr 11, 2017

2. reset my computer to recycle

I accidently reset my computer to recycle and now cannot restore as it wiped all apps and settings what do I do to reset it so I can use it again.

JackieLambNA, Apr 11, 2017
  3. T Mobile - HDC HD2

wiped device by accident.

Biswas Karna, Apr 11, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Do not panic yet - it may be possible to recover the drive.

Do you have access to another pc - do not do anything yet to existing pc ie attempt to install anything.

cereberus, Apr 11, 2017
  5. maxal Win User
    Hi, yes I do have another laptop

maxal, Apr 11, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    On laptop, download iso from here and create a bootable usb drive eg using rufus.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

Boot your pc from this awesome recovery drive

Run minitool (on this recovery drive) which you know anyway

Highlight your drive that has been wiped

Select Disk - Partition Recovery and follow instructions.

If you have no attempted yet to write anything to the drive, with luck, you will recover the partitions.

cereberus, Apr 11, 2017
  7. maxal Win User
    Thanks I will try this when I get home tonight and will keep you updated.

maxal, Apr 11, 2017
  8. maxal Win User

Hi, just found this on the web,

About "Wipe Partition"

Wipe Partition feature in MiniTool Partition Wizard can erase all data on the specified partition permanently, and the erased data can't be recovered by any data recovery solution. Therefore, wiping partition is a quite good way to prevent private or confidential information from being leaked. MiniTool Partition Wizard tutorial below will show users detailed steps.

Not sure now if what you said to do will me now what do you think.

maxal, Apr 11, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    If you used that option you may be out of luck. If you simply deleted them, you may be ok.

In the end - the key lesson is to make regular image backups.

cereberus, Apr 11, 2017
  10. maxal Win User
    I tried last night and as I thought I can't recover my hard drive so I suppose all I can do is to try and install W10 which I will try tonight. I did make back ups of my hard drive folders ie downloads, pictures, documents and keys so all is not lost if the install of windows 10 goes ok.
    If anyone would like to of any advice on doing a fresh install of W10 that would be great.

maxal, Apr 12, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    Do you know how to install Windows? If not there is a guide here Clean Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials .

If you haven't already and have access to another PC put the Windows Installer on a USB so you are ready to start this evening. Details are in the previous link.

The one thing you need to consider is your initial internet access. If you don't have Ethernet cable to plug in then you should download the Wi-Fi driver from Lenovo site and put it on a USB key just in case Windows doesn't recognize your WiFi card. Once you have internet you can get all the other drivers.

I did a clean install Windows on my Lenovo X201 a couple of weeks ago after I used Partition Wizard to merge 2 partitions and my larger files (VMs etc) from the old D drive came out as 0 bytes in size on the merged C drive. These things happen and it doesn't matter if you have backup.

You should look on the bright side - timing wise you'll be clean installing the latest version of Windows just days after its release and you have all your documents backed up. The whole process (assuming you have an installer USB) should only take an hour or so (plus weeks to customize it as you like *Smile )

Lots of people suggest making a system image after install using Macrium but personally I don't mind doing clean installs if the need arises.

12. maxal Win User
    Thank you for the advice I will now do some reading and downloading ready for tonight.

maxal, Apr 12, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

Buy/Borrow a 8GB USB or larger key and run the Media Creation Tool program from here on a Windows PC. Download Windows 10

After that go to Lenovo and download the driver for your WiFi (if you don't have Ethernet cable) and copy it onto the same USB.

After that it should be easy for you - boot from the USB, say you don't have a key when asked and follow the rest of the prompts.

Let us know if you have a problem.

14. maxal Win User
    Ok thanks for the tips. You say click on don't have key why? as I do have my key.

maxal, Apr 12, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    Because if you previously had an activated version of Windows 10 it will automatically re-activate as soon as you connect to the Internet and it checks your hardware ID with Microsoft servers.

You can type it if you want to but there is no benefit (in fact the installer says not to enter the key if you are reinstalling).

I'm sure some pedants will say that there are occasional edge cases when typing in the key would make a difference (if you had bought a OEM PC with Windows Home and updated it to Pro for example you could type in the upgrade key during installation rather than after).

I never type it in but if you want to you can. It doesn't matter either way. I clean install a lot and find it easier not to bother.

Thema:

1. Wiped My Computer By Accident - Similar Threads - Wiped Computer Accident

2. Onedrive wiped my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive wiped my computer.: Why does onedrive delete native files? I couldn't get emails anymore and was told that I have to free up space.Deleted my one drive since I assumed it was just a backup BUT NOPE IT DELETED EVERYTHING OFF MY COMPUTER.I found an article to restore the files to go buy the...
  3. Onedrive wiped my computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive wiped my computer.: Why does onedrive delete native files? I couldn't get emails anymore and was told that I have to free up space.Deleted my one drive since I assumed it was just a backup BUT NOPE IT DELETED EVERYTHING OFF MY COMPUTER.I found an article to restore the files to go buy the...
  4. Onedrive wiped my computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I wiped my windows 10 with easybc by accident

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I wiped my windows 10 with easybc by accident: I tried dual booting my acer nitro 5 with windows 10 and 7. So i tried installing windows 7 while on windows 10. But the installer setup for windowsn7 didnt work so i just deleted the windows 7 bit from the boot screen with easybcd. I restarted my computer and it took me...
  6. I wiped my windows 10 with easybc by accident

I wiped my windows 10 with easybc by accident: I tried dual booting my acer nitro 5 with windows 10 and 7. So i tried installing windows 7 while on windows 10. But the installer setup for windowsn7 didnt work so i just deleted the windows 7 bit from the boot screen with easybcd. I restarted my computer and it took me...
  7. I wiped my windows 10 with easybc by accident

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Wipe My Computer Clean

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wipe My Computer Clean: Currently, I am preparing my computer to return to an employer. We were allowed to use it for personal use however some word documents that were for personal use were placed on the desktop. I've since cut those personal docs from the desktop and pasted to my thumb drive. My...
  9. Wipe My Computer Clean

Wipe My Computer Clean: Currently, I am preparing my computer to return to an employer. We were allowed to use it for personal use however some word documents that were for personal use were placed on the desktop. I've since cut those personal docs from the desktop and pasted to my thumb drive. My...
  10. Wiping a computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wiping a computer: So i just got a new pc and i signed into my dads account because i wanted my xbox account to be on the pc and now everything is signed in as my dad. I was wondering if i wipe my pc then will it wipe everything from his account on his other computer?...