Windows 10: Wiping a Win7 computer. Fastest way to get up to 10?

Discus and support Wiping a Win7 computer. Fastest way to get up to 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I got a hand-me-down computer from work that is off lease running Win7 Enterprise. I have a retail Win7 key and want to start this thing over from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kelemvor, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Wiping a Win7 computer. Fastest way to get up to 10?

So I got a hand-me-down computer from work that is off lease running Win7 Enterprise. I have a retail Win7 key and want to start this thing over from scratch.

Do I need to do a full install of Win7, activate it, do 2-3 hours of windows updates, and then finally get up to Windows 10? Or is there any way to install Win10 from scratch and somehow use the Windows 7 key along the way?

Just don't want to waste any more time than I have to since I know a Win7 install from scratch takes forever with 200 Updates or so.

Thanks!

:)

Kelemvor, Sep 19, 2015

2. Fastest way to convert flv videos to a compatible format for the E71?

Hi guys,

It is goog that you are all providing links here for converters but please avoid posting ones wherein it leads to direclty purchasing various products alone as this will be considered as spamming and is not allowed in the boards.

Since the links show free downloads, this can be tolerated but please do not abuse posting any further links that would require you to purchase the applications.

Thanks!

nixy_fedorov, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Fastest way to convert flv videos to a compatible format for the E71?

It is goog that you are all providing links here for converters but please avoid posting ones wherein it leads to direclty purchasing various products alone as this will be considered as spamming and is not allowed in the boards.

A fair number of the converters are freeware others are shareware and others let you trial the product either via a short test or watermark . I have posted some that are paid for as well as freeware but its like mentioning Apple IPhone would that also
    be classified as spam .Likewise again their are other apps for your phone if they are not freeware are they classed as spam if mentioned . Their seems to be no intention of spamming when asked about a product to do a particular job and the actual replys
    fall outside the definition of spamming .If the definition of spam on this board is mentioning paid for applications then the list is long starting with Windows and should not just be applied to this section .

But as their are so many views as what app to use paid for or free then i see the board as being safe from abuse .

jje

jjegan---01, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 19, 2015
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Clean install Windows 7 and activate. No need to do updates. Upgrade to 10 with 7 key. This will give you cleanest possible install.

mrgeek, Sep 19, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    I beleive when you upgrade Windows 7/8 Enterprise to Windows 10. It will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    There's a way to fresh install Windows 10 without going thru the pain upgrading it.
    You can use the current Windows 7 Enterprise and save the retail key for another PC to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro.

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

• Download Windows 10 Pro DVD/ISO. Burn the ISO, mount it or extract it.
    • Navigate to the folder X:\sources (X is the drive letter of the DVD/USB) and copy gatherosstate.exe to desktop. Right click and run as Admin. A file: GenuineTicket.xml is created on the desktop. Copy it to a USB or to another drive.
    • Wipe the disk clean and Install Windows 10. Skip the product key when asked.
    • Once finished, from folder options, turn on: show hidden files/folders and copy the file GenuineTicket.xml to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket.
    • Reboot.
    • Win+X->System. Activation status should be activated.

topgundcp, Sep 19, 2015
  7. Kelemvor Win User
    So I can just installed Windows 7 from my USB Drive and then immediately go get the Media Creation Tool to go up to 10? Does Win7 need to be at a certain level for that to work or anything like that? That would save hours... *Smile

Kelemvor, Sep 20, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Kelemvor, *Smile

If you wanted a clean install of Windows 10, then the fastest way in your situation would be to:

1) Install and activate Windows 7. No need to install updates.

2) Use the method in the tutorial below to clean install Windows 10 and activate.

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Brink, Sep 20, 2015
  9. mrgeek Win User
    Correct. The upgrade can take place over the base level Win7 install. Doing hrs of updates will just add more unnecessary files to the OS. You can, prior to the upgrade, do a clean install, using Brink's tutorial but you would already have about as minimal a Win10 install, as possible. Many upgraded a 7 to 10 after years of use, so MUCH more for the install to separate out. Or do the upgrade to 10 from the USB drive, then do a clean install from it by checking the Remove Everything option (essentially a wipe). Then do your updates and install your preferred programs.
    Mark topic as solved, if all this worked. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Sep 20, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Has Microsoft changed their policy? Last time I checked, Microsoft was not offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Enterprise.

In order to use the clean install without upgrade method using the gatherosstate.exe program - the OP will have to be coming from his retail Windows 7 anyway - so he will have to install Windows 7 from scratch because I don't think there is a way to downgrade Windows 7 Enterprise to a retail version.

NavyLCDR, Sep 20, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, you can't upgrade from Windows Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 10 FAQ Tips - Microsoft

Brink, Sep 20, 2015
  12. mrgeek Win User
    "the OP will have to be coming from his retail Windows 7 anyway - so he will have to install Windows 7 from scratch because I don't think there is a way to downgrade Windows 7 Enterprise to a retail version."
    All subsequent posts presume that he has a retail 7 to install and will not keep Enterprise, at all.

mrgeek, Sep 20, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Well...one thing you previously posted....

The upgrade to Windows 10 doesn't actually use the Windows 7 key. It uses the Windows 7 license. It's a small, but important difference in that the OP will only use the Windows 7 Product Key for one thing, and one thing only - install and activate Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Sep 20, 2015
  14. essenbe Win User
    The first post says he has a retail Windows 7 key and wants to reinstall and upgrade. You can clean install the retail Windows 7 and activate it without doing the updates, then follow Brink's tutorial and upgrade to Windows 10.

essenbe, Sep 20, 2015
  15. GregH Win User
    And then, if you want a truly "clean" Win 10 install, after the upgrade and activating your Win 10, reboot with your same USB ISO and format/partition your drive again, installing Windows 10 CLEAN. As in not an upgrade over Windows 7. Will take you an extra 30 minutes.

GregH, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Wiping a Win7 computer. Fastest way to get up to 10? - Similar Threads - Wiping Win7 computer

2. What is the easiest and fastest ways to clean up your file after a data transfer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the easiest and fastest ways to clean up your file after a data transfer?: I need a way to organise all the files on my old PC after a data transfer to a new PC. I have several Desktop files, and other duplicates, and not very much time to accomplish this. Thanks!...
  3. Fastest Way to reset old laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fastest Way to reset old laptop: Hi guys.I need to reset my laptop. It is a 5 - 6-year-old hp laptop with windows 11 version and an Intel i3 processor. Can you guys tell any efficient way to reset my laptop completely and thoroughly? I am currently thinking of doing a complete reset and deleting all files...
  4. Fastest Way to reset old laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fastest Way to reset old laptop: Hi guys.I need to reset my laptop. It is a 5 - 6-year-old hp laptop with windows 11 version and an Intel i3 processor. Can you guys tell any efficient way to reset my laptop completely and thoroughly? I am currently thinking of doing a complete reset and deleting all files...
  5. Fastest Way to reset old laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. What is the fastest way to get to this screen? Getting to it always seems burred under 30...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the fastest way to get to this screen? Getting to it always seems burred under 30...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ToUseWhileAtWork [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kn5xbr/what_is_the_fastest_way_to_get_to_this_screen/
  7. Fastest way besides clean boot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fastest way besides clean boot.: What is the easier way besides clean boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fastest-way-besides-clean-boot/9fa8ff65-582b-4242-8c8b-35256b6729cd
  8. What is the fastest way to get iphone photos to Windows 10?

What is the fastest way to get iphone photos to Windows 10?: I take a picture on my iPhone. How can I automate them going wirelessly to my PC? Bonus points for being in the correct orientation and not sideways. submitted by /u/yottabet [link] [comments]...
  9. Fastest and easiest way to tag multiple files?

Fastest and easiest way to tag multiple files?: I'm a long-time MacOS power user who has decided to give Windows 10 a try for a number of reasons, one of them is that Apple has done a very poor job of putting out compelling hardware for the last couple of years. I made good use of tags in MacOS, but I'm finding it...
  10. Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defective hard drive - fastest way of copying contents: A 500GB WD Blue drive just failed (unrecognized by BIOS, unrecognized in USB case, clicking, etc) on a friend's laptop, Lenovo Ideapad 110. Fortunately, the owner says that he has any important contents backed up elsewhere. With nothing to loose, I have left the drive in the...