Windows 10: Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS?

Discus and support Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, Once or twice a year I wipe my whole PC and it is time to do another one. I usually install a full version of XP then upgrade to win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrje1, Aug 19, 2015.

1. mrje1 Win User

Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS?

Hello Everyone,

Once or twice a year I wipe my whole PC and it is time to do another one. I usually install a full version of XP then upgrade to win 8.1. Do I need to still do that or can I just pop in Windows 10 Bootable disc to start the re installation process? If that is ok, then what else do I need prior to re installation?

I made a Windows 10.iso file to make the installation.

Thank you!

:)

mrje1, Aug 19, 2015
  2. RolyTK Win User

cannot start my windows 10 destop lenovo computer

i used the media creation tool to create a usb windows 10 stick. Then i installed windows 10 again and my files were not wiped but the short cut icons had gone. All of a sudden my computer shut down without warning .

i had use the win 10 usb stick again and it resetting my pc. this is pretty awful

RolyTK, Aug 19, 2015
  3. windows activation

i just upgraded my pc and installed windows 10 straight away but I cant activate windows now. it is a windows 7 key but it would've upgraded to 10 anyway so is there any way I can activate windows without wiping my pc and installing 7 directly? thanks

thomas_7121, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS?

Your machine will only activate from the Upgrade version of Win10 if it has been through an in-place upgrade from Win8.1 -- and activated afterward. If your machine has never had Win10 on it, a clean install of Win10 will never activate -- as MS provides no way to enter existing product keys for upgrade versions of Win10.

Mark Phelps, Aug 19, 2015
  5. AddRAM Win User
    No, you don`t have to re install XP and Windows 8.1 again, just clean install 10. But yes, you do have to create the install media, either a dvd or usb stick.

Why not just make an image though ? Or use the reset feature, Why keep re installing all the time ? No need.

But as Mark says, you will have had to do the upgrade from 8.1 and activated 10 at least once to do future clean installs.

AddRAM, Aug 19, 2015
  6. joncraw Win User
    You can upgrade from 8.1 or buy an install image for a clean install. The 8.1 activation will be transferred to W10. You'll get a key when you buy an ISO online.

Explore the reset/refresh options in 10.

joncraw, Aug 20, 2015
  7. fredc Win User
    The OP said he had a bootable disk with the ISO image on it , are you saying he has to create something else for it to work?

fredc, Aug 20, 2015
  8. AddRAM Win User

No, but the OP also specifically said this "I made a Windows 10.iso file to make the installation."

He never actually said he made the disc yet, he just asked if he could pop in a windows 10 disc to start the install.

So I just wanted the OP to be sure, read it how you want *Smile

AddRAM, Aug 20, 2015
  9. Mansome Win User
    He actually could start the install from the ISO file it self if doing the upgrade.

Mansome, Aug 20, 2015
  10. fredc Win User
    Thats what i did and now Win 10 will not activate , i upgraded Win 10 the proper way the first time as well , my computer according to the command prompt was permanently activated but after doing a clean install from an ISO file directly from Microsofts website it won't activate , exact same version as well .

fredc, Aug 20, 2015
  11. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you Mark. I appreciate the info. If I downloaded the windows 10 upgrade and installed it before I do the clean can I then wipe my whole computer clean and then pop in the windows 10 bootable disk and do an install from there instead of putting in my windows XP full version, then my windows 8.1 DVD that I created from the ISO file and then the windows 10 DVD that I created from the ISO file? It would be really awesome if I can just plop in that Windows 10 DVD that I created from the ISO file which would save me some time.

I know I heard of some other methods, but this is the way I've been doing it for years and haven't really learned how to do anything else because I haven't had the time. Once again Mark thank you so much for your answer and your time.

mrje1, Aug 20, 2015
  12. mrje1 Win User
    thank you AddRAM For your help and information. I have done that method I've mentioned in my post for years and just didn't have time to learn other methods and I was content with what I was doing. If people here and can tell me that the other ways are much quicker and to the point where it can wipe my computer clean just like doing a complete wipe that I've been doing for years and maybe I'll look into switching.

mrje1, Aug 20, 2015
  13. mrje1 Win User

Making an image seems pretty interesting. Can you point me to the right direction and how to learn to do this? I've heard about this but have never really looked into it. Does the reset feature do perform wiping as good as wiping the way I described in my post?

Thank you!

mrje1, Aug 20, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 20, 2015
  15. Bazz Win User
    The answer is NO

Thema:

1. Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS? - Similar Threads - Wiping Install without

2. Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?: Hello,My PC has been running really slow recently and I want to format it, but I have a lot of data on my D drive that I don't want deleted and I'd like to know if using the Windows reset setting wipes all drives or just the C drive.Thanks....
  3. Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?: Hello,My PC has been running really slow recently and I want to format it, but I have a lot of data on my D drive that I don't want deleted and I'd like to know if using the Windows reset setting wipes all drives or just the C drive.Thanks....
  4. Can I format my PC without wiping my D drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i wipe my pc without settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i wipe my pc without settings?: My taskbar isn’t working and my apps aren’t opening does anyone kniw how i can wipe my pc without entering any apps My start and windows aren’t working so nothing can open atm...
  6. How do i wipe my pc without settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i wipe my pc without settings?: My taskbar isn’t working and my apps aren’t opening does anyone kniw how i can wipe my pc without entering any apps My start and windows aren’t working so nothing can open atm...
  7. Wipe HDD without removing Windows OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wipe HDD without removing Windows OS: Hello, I want to completely wipe my HDD clean without removing my Windows 10 from it. Is there a way to do this? As I have lost my disc for windows and do not want to buy another copy of it. Thanks submitted by /u/AlexRichh [link] [comments]...
  8. can i reset my pc without loosing window os

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can i reset my pc without loosing window os: can i reset my pc without loosing window os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset/38ee12a8-6552-4f1f-aabe-4a1e223baef1
  9. wiping out data without removing Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    wiping out data without removing Win 10: I want to prepare my desktop before selling it and wipe all personal data. I am aware of tools like DBAN which would wipe out the entire disk including Win 10. I would prefer not to do that. On a related note - my desktop is HP - came with Windows 7 - has the disk...
  10. Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?: I have two older PC's running Win 7 Pro (32 & 64 bit). We want to add a number of in the box(s) upgrades...like Motherboard...Graphic cards...SSD's etc. My question is does it matter if we do all this 1st before Win 10 upgrade...or can I change the 2 boxes after the 10...