Windows 10: Wiping my Windows 10 pro PC.What Method should I use to wipe-Reinstall

Discus and support Wiping my Windows 10 pro PC.What Method should I use to wipe-Reinstall in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, Every so often I do a reboot of my computer. What I have done for years is use a program like DBAN to wipe my whole computer. Next,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrje1, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mrje1 Win User

Wiping my Windows 10 pro PC.What Method should I use to wipe-Reinstall

Hello Everyone,

Every so often I do a reboot of my computer. What I have done for years is use a program like DBAN to wipe my whole computer. Next, the only full version of Windows I own is XP, so I install that and that creates a partition that puts XP on it. Then I would install the current windows operating system I own and at the time of my last reboot I installed Windows 8 and then the upgrade to windows 8.1. Now I currently have Windows 10 pro that I installed by taking advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade back when it first came out.

I am looking for a more easier method I can utilize instead of doing all that installing. What best method to get my computer rebooted again with Windows 10 pro that you guys would recommend?

Thank you very much for your help.

:)

mrje1, Nov 25, 2015
  2. mdicki02 Win User

Windows 10 Home install over 10 pro not working

I thought I had Windows 10 Pro installed but it was the Home version. After a failure during a pushed update, I had to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. I loaded 10 Pro and it wouldn't activate. I then installed 10 Home but it still says it's the pro
    version and won't activate.

Any work arounds to this? I'm not keen on wiping and reinstalling again.

mdicki02, Nov 25, 2015
  3. reinstall after upgrade

I have a Surface Pro that originally had Windows 8.1 Pro. I have installed the free Windows 10 upgrade, but I now want to reinstall it. I want to completely wipe my hard drive and install Windows 10. I know this can be done, but I need a list of steps to
    get everything necessary to reinstall Windows 10 (including exporting settings & preferences) and how to wipe my hard drive. Are there any good places to get a good detailed list of steps to do these things? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski, Nov 25, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Once Windows 10 is activated you can just format the whole disk and clean-install Windows 10 directly (skip key when asked). When first connected to the internet it will find your registration on Microsoft servers and activate automatically, no key needed. Just make sure you install the same version (Home or Pro) or it won't activate. You can download the latest build ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench. Be careful to download the correct language to be able to upgrade older Windows to 10. "English" is English US and "English International" is English GB. Each one can only upgrade the same language Windows. Unless you have a specific restricted version, you are looking for "Windows 10", which contains both Home and Pro (depending or serial or previous Windows version). Others are special restricted versions and can only upgrade their respective Windows 7 and 8 versions.

spapakons, Nov 25, 2015
  5. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you spapakons. Doing this way you suggest will this method clean out completely like the department of defense DoD Short or something in that range? Also, is this method you suggest be safe enough or wipe out the drive enough to just give the computer away etc?

Thank you!

mrje1, Nov 25, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could turn on bitlocker and encrypt the whole drive. If you want to give it away just clean install again - nothing earlier will be recoverable.

7. spapakons Win User
    Or you can do a full format (not quick) at each partition before you delete them and install Windows 10 at the unallocated space. You could also fill the disk with zeros, but this is too far.

spapakons, Nov 26, 2015
  8. mrje1 Win User

This clean install you are recommending it sounds like the one I mentioned in my original post. Correct? If not, what clean install are you suggesting? Also, I have never used bitlocker, why and/or when should I use that feature?

Thank you!

mrje1, Nov 26, 2015
  9. mrje1 Win User
    This is kind of my original method I mentioned in my original post.

mrje1, Nov 26, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would boot from a Windows 10 Pro installation media, select custom install, delete all the partitions on the hard drive when you get the listing, then clean install to the unallocated space. It would take a forensics expert to recover any old information left on the hard drive not overwritten by the clean install.

Let Windows 10 create it's own partitions during the install by just selecting the unallocated space to install to.

NavyLCDR, Nov 26, 2015
  11. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you NavyLCDR. Since I didn't buy Windows 10 retail version and I have made a disc via media creation tool will I be able to do the same thing?

Just making sure here. It might sound stupid. By deleting and reinstalling windows 10 on my partition doesn't that not wipe out the old information to the way like a program DBAN would by writing all zeros?

Doing it this way, since I don't own a full version of Windows 10, but the free upgrade that I got when Windows 10 first came out. Don't I need to have atleast a prior operating system first before able to install windows 10?

mrje1, Nov 26, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    If Windows 10 is activated, this information is stored in Microsoft Server. When first online after the new installation, it will detect this information and reactivate automatically (assuming of course you install the same version Home or Pro).

spapakons, Nov 26, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes.

Well, it deletes the markers to the information (Master File Table or File allocation Table). Until the old information is written over, it's still there - it just takes special software to retrieve it.

No. When you install Windows 10 on the same computer it will calculate the same Hardware ID as the previous installation of Windows 10 (calculation based on hardware installed [mostly the motherboard] not on information stored on the hard drive). The Hardware ID is sent to Microsoft activation servers, where the previous Hardware ID and activation was stored when you upgraded. When the activation server finds your matching stored Hardware ID, it will return the activation - if the version of Windows 10 also matches.

NavyLCDR, Nov 26, 2015
  14. mrje1 Win User
    Thank you very much NavyLCDR and everyone.

NavyLCDR, in regards to the method you described earlier. You mentioned it will delete the markers to the information (Master File Table or File allocation Table), but will I get a very clean refreshed PC? Will this method you described remove viruses, bugs etc.?

mrje1, Nov 29, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    To the average user it will completely erase the hard drive and start over from absolutely nothing. Yes, you will get a very clean refreshed PC and it will remove viruses and malware. (Bugs are errors in the actual operating system). What it will not do is overwrite the entire contents of the hard drive so a forensics expert examining the hard drive bit-by-bit could reconstruct some of the old files that are have not been overwritten.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Wiping my Windows 10 pro PC.What Method should I use to wipe-Reinstall - Similar Threads - Wiping pro Method

2. Will Windows reinstall after a PC-wipe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows reinstall after a PC-wipe?: I'm looking to wipe/ refresh my PC - been experiencing BSOD and some performance issues. I will not be swapping any hardware, just refreshing, but am curious if Windows will reinstall. I checked Settings > Updates & Security, and do see it digitally linked to my account. Can...
  3. Will Windows reinstall after a PC-wipe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Windows reinstall after a PC-wipe?: I'm looking to wipe/ refresh my PC - been experiencing BSOD and some performance issues. I will not be swapping any hardware, just refreshing, but am curious if Windows will reinstall. I checked Settings > Updates & Security, and do see it digitally linked to my account. Can...
  4. Will Windows reinstall after a PC-wipe?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?: My computer has been crashing randomly, doesn't use solid state drive and will use a ton of RAM to operate. Need to uninstall and relinstall windows. Have tried all other recovery options and Dell tells me that I need to do a full reset. What is the fastest way to do this? I...
  6. What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to completely wipe and reinstall windows?: My computer has been crashing randomly, doesn't use solid state drive and will use a ton of RAM to operate. Need to uninstall and relinstall windows. Have tried all other recovery options and Dell tells me that I need to do a full reset. What is the fastest way to do this? I...
  7. Trying to wipe PC and reinstall Windows 10

Trying to wipe PC and reinstall Windows 10: I recently upgraded to windows 10, and since I have my PC has continuously crashed while playing the most simplest games. I kept my old files from my previous setup and want to try wiping everything and start fresh. But when I try it says, Could Not Find Recovery Environment....
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 after wiping pc clean

Reinstalling Windows 10 after wiping pc clean: I have a custom built gaming PC and my issue is that the games i am playing keep crashing. Everything is up to date. i went through every drive and updated them. i am thinking of resetting the pc and wiping everything off and starting fresh to clear out what i might have...
  9. I want to wipe out and reinstall Win 10 Pro

I want to wipe out and reinstall Win 10 Pro: I'm having some issues with my Lenovo Yoga Laptop. I want to wipe it clean and then install Windows 10 PRO and get a clean start. How do I go about wiping out my Laptop. I have backed up all of my important files. > How do I go about wiping my laptop clean? > Anything else...
  10. Best method to wipe an ssd drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best method to wipe an ssd drive?: Any tips? I've used secure erase in parted magic (the option for enhanced secure erase was blanked out) but then read somewhere that there is no secure way to wipe an ssd? Planning to reinstall and then sell the machine on. It's only a small 80gb drive and not new to me or...