Windows 10: wiping out data without removing Win 10

Discus and support wiping out data without removing Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to prepare my desktop before selling it and wipe all personal data. I am aware of tools like DBAN which would wipe out the entire disk including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dudley, Oct 24, 2015.

1. dudley Win User

wiping out data without removing Win 10

I want to prepare my desktop before selling it and wipe all personal data. I am aware of tools like DBAN which would wipe out the entire disk including Win 10. I would prefer not to do that.

On a related note - my desktop is HP - came with Windows 7 - has the disk partitioned to C: and Recovery Image D:. If I do wipe out the entire C: drive, how exactly will I be able to recover Win 7 from D: ? It won't boot, right?

I realize this question is not Windows 10 specific but I love this forum. Thanks.

:)

dudley, Oct 24, 2015

2. Windows 10

Read the post. I have purchased Win 10 in the box. I just need to know how to go about installing it on the computer with the error codes without wiping out my data or killing the computer.

DaveRobb42, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Aolsen96 Win User
    How to get win 10 back?

Hello, i have wiped my system and only have win 7 disk, i had win 10 before the wipe and i cant figure out how to get win 10 back again without having to pay for windows a second time on the same device. Could anyone help me?

Aolsen96, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Dudley, *Smile

If you like, resetting Windows 10 would accomplish wiping your personal data without removing Windows 10. During Windows Setup, you could setup a local account without a password for the new owner to use until they setup their own account.

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Oct 24, 2015
  5. dudley Win User
    Hello Brink and thank you for your answer,

I really do not want to sound paranoid but just resetting Win 10 would not overwrite the entire disk, right? What I mean is that I understand my current files would not be visible to a regular person but they would be recoverable (or at least some of them) with special software if someone really tried.

dudley, Oct 24, 2015
  6. The Recovery Partition requires a utility in C:\ to start the recovery to 7. That is what is wiped out when you upgrade to a newer OS. You would need to contact HP for a download of the utility before the Recovery Partition would be usable again.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 24, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It won't do a secure erase of the drive, but the data will pretty much be unrecoverable by the average Joe.

Otherwise, you'll need to do a full clean install instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Brink, Oct 24, 2015
  8. wiping out data without removing Win 10

And you can do that without having to worry about Windows activation (since it has already been activated). You'll read that in the tutorial, but thought I'd add to what Sean said and post it here too.

DustSailor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. wiping out data without removing Win 10 - Similar Threads - wiping data without

2. Win 11 wipes out VPN credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 wipes out VPN credentials: Hello, Win 11 seems to have cache problems when coming to storing Cisco Meraki VPN credentials; it wipes them out every day forcing us to go through the whole process daily. Does anybody else have the same problem?...
  3. Win 11 wipes out VPN credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 wipes out VPN credentials: Hello, Win 11 seems to have cache problems when coming to storing Cisco Meraki VPN credentials; it wipes them out every day forcing us to go through the whole process daily. Does anybody else have the same problem?...
  4. Reinstall Win 10 without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Win 10 without losing data: Please direct me to a relevant tutorial so that I can reinstall Windows 10 without losing anything on my computer. I hav Macrium so imaging the C drive isn't a problem. 163886
  5. reinstall windows without wiping data

reinstall windows without wiping data: I'll start off with saying I'm an idiot for not backing up my files before my pc crashed and gave me the blue screen of death. Is there a way to reinstall windows and still keep my files on my hard drive? Can I use the installation media from a usb without wiping my computer?...
  6. windows 10 stuck in repair loop and wiped out data and programs

windows 10 stuck in repair loop and wiped out data and programs: It just happened yesterday , found blue screen with message that windows could not be repaired, after rebooting the system goes in a loop and keep displaying same think, the repair start as soon as the logo is displayed. I managed to disable the auto recovery, but I could...
  7. undo windows 10 system update that wiped out all data

undo windows 10 system update that wiped out all data: Hi! My laptop did a system update last night and when I turned it on this morning, all of my files, settings, apps were gone. I don't have a restore point. How do I undo that system update?...
  8. Data wipe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data wipe: So I was wondering if I restart windows via wipe all data future how much disk space will windows take? submitted by /u/isusbog45 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gw2c59/data_wipe/
  9. Wipe HDD without removing Windows OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wipe HDD without removing Windows OS: Hello, I want to completely wipe my HDD clean without removing my Windows 10 from it. Is there a way to do this? As I have lost my disc for windows and do not want to buy another copy of it. Thanks submitted by /u/AlexRichh [link] [comments]...
  10. Win 10 Update wiping out entered documents and bookmarks

Win 10 Update wiping out entered documents and bookmarks: I have 4 computers. They all update within a day or two of each other. 3 of the computers are updating with no problems at all. One HP Desktop computer started wiping out all entered information, bookmark saved to Yahoo and Chrome, and just about everything that was...