Windows 10: Wired home network has collapsed after recent Win 10 update

Discus and support Wired home network has collapsed after recent Win 10 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For a long time I have had a very stable wired network of four PCs (and a fifth if I choose to add it) until the recent Win 10 update. Suddenly my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stony41, Dec 17, 2016.

1. stony41 Win User

Wired home network has collapsed after recent Win 10 update

For a long time I have had a very stable wired network of four PCs (and a fifth if I choose to add it) until the recent Win 10 update. Suddenly my network and workgroup have collapsed. One exception is my wife's PC, which I can see from my main office PC and, because a printer is attached to it, I can print to it, but not to any of the printers within touching distance from my desk.

Before the update all was fine. Like my workgroup, my network had a name that appeared on all the PCs, but now random stupid names have appeared on the PCs. I have icons for all my PCs on each PC, but only those for my main PC and my wife's PC now work. (By the way I never have been able to use the guide provided on the forum to allow the network name to be changed.)

An utter mess that has been totally unexpected. I would be very grateful for suggestions as to how I can get my wired network back. Of course, something else may have created this chaos, but my money is on the update.

:)

stony41, Dec 17, 2016

2. unable to connect to internet in windows 10.

old title: windows 10 networking

I have an HP desktop systwm with windows 10. Recently I get the error "Unable to connect to the internet" then in Network and sharing center the connection has changed from using the wired home network to a wireless one. The PC has both a wired and wireless
    interface however I only want to connect to the home network using the wired adapter.

BTW-Using the windows troubleshooter, it responds with unable to fix, missing protocol. HELP!

ToddReichert, Dec 17, 2016
  3. windows 10 networking

I have an HP desktop system with windows 10. Recently I get the error "Unable to connect to the internet" then in Network and sharing center the connection has changed from using the wired home network to a wireless one. The PC has both a wired and wireless
    interface however I only want to connect to the home network using the wired adapter.

BTW-Using the windows troubleshooter, it responds with unable to fix, missing protocol. HELP!

ToddReichert, Dec 17, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

What do you mean by collapsed. An update to a Operating System is not going to take a LAN offline or cause other computers to not connect.

What are you using as your Router?

bro67, Dec 17, 2016
  5. stony41 Win User
    I have a Huawei HG658 VDSL2 modem plus a TP-LINK TL-SC1016D switch.

I must admit that I have just replaced the modem, having had the same model for some time. My phone provider thought that a problem with VoIP would be rectified with a replacement, but it wasn't. I don't think this exchange has a bearing on the issue I have raised as this network/workgroup issue preceded the change. Internet is fine.

stony41, Dec 17, 2016
  6. stony41 Win User
    My apologies for raising this thread, but I have just discovered the culprit.

I had forgotten that I had had two of my PCs at a computer shop for some work a few days ago. The guys there are very competent, but I have just noted that they had put my PCs on their network and had forgotten to change things back. I have restored my settings and everything is back working again.

stony41, Dec 17, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    You need to mark this as solved.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wired home network has collapsed after recent Win 10 update - Similar Threads - Wired home network

2. Upgrade to Win 11 has caused wired network printer to not print.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Win 11 has caused wired network printer to not print.: I have a HP laptop 17-ca3 that I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11 about 2 weeks ago. I use a wired Canon MF729CDw on my network. It worked just fine under Win 10, but now it won't print from this laptop. It still prints just fine from the other computers, all running Win 10, on...
  3. Upgrade to Win 11 has caused wired network printer to not print.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to Win 11 has caused wired network printer to not print.: I have a HP laptop 17-ca3 that I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11 about 2 weeks ago. I use a wired Canon MF729CDw on my network. It worked just fine under Win 10, but now it won't print from this laptop. It still prints just fine from the other computers, all running Win 10, on...
  4. recent win 10 updates? windows home

in Windows 10 Support
    recent win 10 updates? windows home: I can tell windows to delay or stop updates but we know the omnipotent overlords at microsoft can overrule anything we say. the computer is not usually on the internet (also prevents viruses) i have to go on the internet to download new software. are there any recent updates...
  5. home network win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    home network win 10: Prior questions here have led to no answer. 2 computers on the same wifi network need to access each other. Computer that i need to access shows up on File Explorer - Network. But attempts to access give this: [ATTACH] I have tried all of my passwords, looked for something...
  6. Recent Win 10 Updates have affected Networking?

Recent Win 10 Updates have affected Networking?: Win 10 updates KB4565351, KB4569751 and KB4569073 were installed yesterday and since then my WAN networking has stopped working, apparently due to an ISSUE with the DNS Server. Both WiFi and Ethernet connections are affected. I have already tried / ruled out: 1. The...
  7. no networking capability / WIFI / Wired after windows 10 update

no networking capability / WIFI / Wired after windows 10 update: last week my laptop (which i dont power off very often) auto updated a windows update (KB4493464) and since all wifi connections have disappeared and i cannot connect to broadband via wired capability! tried uninstalling said up-date which briefly fixed the issue for 2 days...
  8. Win 10 Crashing Home Network

Win 10 Crashing Home Network: Hi, After my partners 2 year old HP laptop had a hard drive failure, the tech guy who installed the new hard drive installed win 10 on it as opposed to the win 8.1 which was lost with the old hardware. Since then whenever she attempts to use the internet via our netgear...
  9. can't boot Win 10 after recent update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't boot Win 10 after recent update: I just did an update, it had one Windows defender update and and a KB something it downloaded, installed and asked me to reboot. I did this and it did the 20%, 30% thing before restart, it shut down and restarted upon start, I have been sitting for an hour with the...
  10. No network (wired) after Win 10 Upgrade - Zone Alarm

No network (wired) after Win 10 Upgrade - Zone Alarm: Hi, I'm new here and am posting this in the hope it may help others. I had what seems to be a common issue after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, where the PC (desktop) could not see the network/router. I do not have any VPN client installed and it was not a WiFi issue so...