Windows 10: Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected

Discus and support Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 in a custom built rig with a TP Link wireless antenna (PCI) for wireless access to our home wireless network. I've already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by onefootswill, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected

I'm using Windows 10 in a custom built rig with a TP Link wireless antenna (PCI) for wireless access to our home wireless network.

I've already eliminated a number of things.
    The modem-router is fine - all other devices use it without problems.
    The Ethernet connection in my PC is working fine.

I have a gut-feeling this is a software issue. So before I rush out and buy a new antenna, I wanted to try and troubleshoot it here.

A bit of history.
    All was fine. My wife went away for a couple of weeks, so I connected up an Ethernet cable (which I am not normally allowed to run through the house *Smile ).

When I disconnected the Ethernet cable upon her return, the wireless seemed to be on the Fritz.

It still reports a strong signal.
    But, it reports "No Internet, secured" underneath the SSID after connecting to it.

Obviously, the browsers do not load any sites.

I am not even able to load the modem-router's firmware interface via its IP address.
    I am not able to ping the IP address of the modem-router.

As I said, the wireless card seems to be working, as it still detects my next-door neighbor's network (in addition to my own) and reports a plausible signal strength for it.

Can anyone suggest how I can determine whether this is hardware or software. I think I've conclusively narrowed it down to either being:
    • the wireless antenna; or
    • Windows 10.
    And remember, all I did was stop using it for a couple of weeks.
    Thanks

:)

onefootswill, Aug 26, 2017

2. limited connection

I learned something else that will be helpful. On the Win7 machine, there are two wireless adapters, one internal and one an external USB-connected antenna of higher power. The key tidbit is that when you start a hostednetwork, and there are multiple wireless
    adapters, Windows picks one AT RANDOM. Could it be that if Windows picks the antenna adapter (which is used to connect to the RV park's wireless network) as the one to be used for the hostednetwork, that is the source of the interference? So, to make this
    work, you must

1. not have the external antenna plugged in

2. start the hostednetwork

3. plug in the antenna

4. connect to the Internet

None of the items about using Internet Connection Sharing say anything like this, and there are lots of them. They assume an Ethernet internet connection and one wireless adapter. Mostly they tell you to update the driver, when it is obviously not a driver
    problem since it was working just a few hours ago, and will work again tomorrow.

Golfer1john, Aug 26, 2017
  3. Alen994 Win User
    Kernel Security Check Failure - Windows 10

I'm already using the latest driver for my wireless adapter. Since I'm using laptop I have laptop's embedded wireless adapter and one external wireless adapter ( TP-link, TL-WN722N) ( in one of the posts I called it antenna). I use external adapter because
    of the distance between my laptop and router. That antenna caused crashes as soon as I unplug it. But not anymore. Now I can plug it in or out, crash won't occur. The only problem now is that my usb 3.0 port is not working.

Yes, that driver dates from 2011, it's when I bought my laptop and this tp-link wifi adapter.

I don't know why system stopped crashing, but this problem with usb port persists.

Thank you for your effort Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected :)

Alen994, Aug 26, 2017
  4. Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected

Hi onefootswill.

Agree software. Before trying anything below I would create a Restore Point. If you don't have a Image then I would also look at Macrium Reflect. Nothing below is that drastic but Windows does have a mind of its own and having a Plan B is always a good idea. A data backup is always recommended.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

You could try a Network Reset. This will cause all Wireless passwords to be forgotten.

Start => Settings => Network and Internet => Scroll to bottom of right hand side => Network Reset

Run the following four bolded commands. Use a Command Prompt(admin)
    Do not key in info in brackets, there for your information.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 26, 2017
  5. Thanks Ken. Will run through those steps when I get home from work this evening. Will post the results back here.

onefootswill, Aug 27, 2017
  6. That worked. Thanks for the help!

onefootswill, Aug 27, 2017
  7. Excellent. Glad the forum could help.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected

1. Wireless Antenna Stopped Working as Expected - Similar Threads - Wireless Antenna Stopped

2. Wireless Adapter stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless Adapter stop working: Hello Team,We have installed Wireless Microsoft adapter to connect screen with device wirelessly - but it seems to stop[p working now.Can we please have any updates, is there any firmware update - if so what is the new version and how we can access the drivers for that.We...
  3. Wireless Adapter stop working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless Adapter stop working: Hello Team,We have installed Wireless Microsoft adapter to connect screen with device wirelessly - but it seems to stop[p working now.Can we please have any updates, is there any firmware update - if so what is the new version and how we can access the drivers for that.We...
  4. Realtek Wireless Stop Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Wireless Stop Working: my Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC has stopped working properly. Normally my internet speed is 36 Gb, now it has dropped to 4 maybe 5 Gb. New drivers installed if they are still there, but it doesn't change anything. System window 10. Could the card be broken...
  5. Realtek Wireless Stop Working

Realtek Wireless Stop Working: my Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC has stopped working properly. Normally my internet speed is 36 Gb, now it has dropped to 4 maybe 5 Gb. New drivers installed if they are still there, but it doesn't change anything. System window 10. Could the card be broken...
  6. wireless mouse stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wireless mouse stopped working: I have a logitech M325 mouse/keyboard that was working fine. I plugged it into another computer with no issues, but when I plugged it back into my computer the mouse and keyboard no longer work. When I plug in the adapter the computer makes a noise which i think means that it...
  7. Wireless mouse stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless mouse stopped working: My HID-compliant USB wireless mouse ran out of battery. Since I replaced the battery, the computer recognizes the device but the mouse doesnt respond. I have tried installing driver updates for the computer and the mouse. I only have one port so cant try plugging it into...
  8. how to use wireless adapter with antenna

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to use wireless adapter with antenna: Hi! I recently bought a Duel Band Wireless USB Adapter. It looks like the brand name is "abgnac." It comes with a USB and an antenna to connect to the USB. And also a small software installation disk, about 3" in diameter. I need it for my SL510 Lenovo Thinkpad laptop...
  9. Wireless devices stopped working

Wireless devices stopped working: Hi, all my wireless devices stopped working suddenly after computer restart. One day it worked, the next day I turn on laptop, tries to connect bluetooth speaker and its impossible to turn bluetooth on its not even there, adapters are nowhere to be found as well. Then I...
  10. Dell Wireless Card - Antenna dBi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dell Wireless Card - Antenna dBi: Does anyone know what dBi antennae Dell uses in its built-in wireless cards? I'm having difficulty keeping a reliable connection to wifi when in certain areas at work. I've considered getting an external USB dongle with a 5 or 9 dBi antenna. 90355