Windows 10: Wireless connection.......2.4 / 5.0

Discus and support Wireless connection.......2.4 / 5.0 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am stuck in a hotel this week with pathetic wireless connections. If I download a page for yahoo, Drudge etc....it takes about a minute to open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RaymondWindoz10, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Wireless connection.......2.4 / 5.0

I am stuck in a hotel this week with pathetic wireless connections.

If I download a page for yahoo, Drudge etc....it takes about a minute to open.

And the loading symbol continues to rotate.

It's not my laptop or my smartphone because it happens to both of them.

It's the wireless connection.

I did a speedtest and I was getting .3 download and .1 upload.

When I connected my smartphone to the laptop using a USB cord I was pulling 48 down and 38 up.

So, it's the wireless.

I don't feel obligated to use my data plan at my expense.

I checked the hotel connection and they are using 2.4 HZ .

How can I check my laptop to determine what I am connecting to ? I assume it is 2.4 HZ because that is the standard.

If I have the option of changing form 2.4 to 5 HZ can I do it? Will it help my reception because it is less popular?

Do access points and routers transmit and receive both bands at once or is it just one bandwith?

IF I COULD change the frequency from 2.4 to 5 on my laptop, would it be recognized by the access points?

Do you know if I can change it on my smartphone Nexus 5 / Android- Marshmallow assuming it will work on the laptop?

I made a remark to the desk clerk but she said it was a common complaint and there isn't really anything she can do. There is no need to be rude to her, it's like shooting the messenger.

Thanks

:)

RaymondWindoz10, Oct 11, 2016
  2. 7moon12 Win User

tmobile lumia 640 connecting to time warner wi-fi...

hello folks. my time warner wi-fi router has both 2.4 and 5.0 ghz wireless capabilities. when i would scan for wireless networks on my previous android phones, both my 2.4 and 5.0 wireless options would be visible on the phone to choose from. when i scan
    for wi-fi networks on my new lumia 640 though, only my router's 2.4ghz option seems to be visible on my phone. is this normal? the connection works fine, it's just that my fiance and i like to use the 5.0ghz wifi option for ourselves, while we let her 2 sons
    use the 2.4ghz option.

7moon12, Oct 11, 2016
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Cannot detect 5Ghz wifi

When you left click the Wireless icon in the taskbar you don't even see the 5.0 network? Do you have the 5.0 and 2.4 set up with different SSIDs?

The 5.0 GHz radio doesn't have quite the range of the 2.4 so if you are not close to the router, move around to see if you can pick up that radio.

I did not notice any changes with my system on the 5.0 GHz band. My router has been getting firmware updates this last year. If you have V2 of that router it looks like the last firmware was in Jan. of last year.

Saltgrass, Oct 11, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Wireless connection.......2.4 / 5.0

The frequency ranges at which the hotel equipment operates is up to the hotel (or rather, the equipment installer who sets things up for the hotel, and perhaps the management company that keeps them going). If you don't see a 5 GHz SSID on offer, chances are the equipment is not offering access at the higher frequency range. You can always ask about who manages their networks and talk to those folks, but I'm guessing that won't help your situation much if at all. Best thing you can do is voice your opinion and ask them to consider offering the faster service.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Barman58 Win User
    It's normal for a modern router to provide access to the 5Ghz band in addition to the 2.4 Ghz so it is normally possible to set your device to use the 5GHz if the device is 5GHz ready and can actually see the broadcast

The use of 5Gz is preferred to 2.4Gz as 2.4GHz is used by many other non computing devices Cordless phones, Doorbells Etc

The 5GHz band is not faster than the 2.4GHz and transmits the same internet speed, (to a somewhat shorter range from the router that 2.4GHz ), as 2.4GHz, but is likely to be more stable in use due to less interference

Barman58, Oct 11, 2016
  6. Thanks for your replies.

It looks like I might be stuck.

They had a number for me to call for IT help and they said there was nothing wrong.

They said there was some outside interference.

And they said that 1 person on the access point was pulling 100GB. WT heck !

He must have been downloading a 4K movie. I have no idea what kind of file would be that large.

Or it could have been retrieving the instructions for the next experiment to be done at CERN or HAARP.

Who knows............

I'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks.

RaymondWindoz10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wireless connection.......2.4 / 5.0

1. Wireless connection.......2.4 / 5.0 - Similar Threads - Wireless connection

2. Can't connect to wireless display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to wireless display: Whenever I try to use a wireless display, I get an error message saying, "Couldn't connect". I've tried several different TV's, all the same. I have other Windows 11 machines that can display just fine to those TVs. I do see an attempt being made on my TV, as I'd expect. I...
  3. Can't connect to wireless display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to wireless display: Whenever I try to use a wireless display, I get an error message saying, "Couldn't connect". I've tried several different TV's, all the same. I have other Windows 11 machines that can display just fine to those TVs. I do see an attempt being made on my TV, as I'd expect. I...
  4. wireless connection to TV problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wireless connection to TV problem: Hi, a batch of my lenovo thinkpad running on wndows 11 suddenly cannot connect wireless to samsung tv, seeking any advice.I have updated windows, unintsall network adaptors driver, display adaptors driver, but still cannot connect. Some of my laptop can still connect to the...
  5. wireless connection to TV problem

wireless connection to TV problem: Hi, a batch of my lenovo thinkpad running on wndows 11 suddenly cannot connect wireless to samsung tv, seeking any advice.I have updated windows, unintsall network adaptors driver, display adaptors driver, but still cannot connect. Some of my laptop can still connect to the...
  6. Can't connect to wireless display anymore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to wireless display anymore.: I have a Yoga 7i Lenovo with Windows 11, and I've been able to cast to my television just fine until about a week ago. It's a TCL Roku TV. I haven't changed any settings and I've restarted both devices several times, but I still says, "Couldn't Connect." My iPhone still...
  7. Can't connect to wireless display anymore.

Can't connect to wireless display anymore.: I have a Yoga 7i Lenovo with Windows 11, and I've been able to cast to my television just fine until about a week ago. It's a TCL Roku TV. I haven't changed any settings and I've restarted both devices several times, but I still says, "Couldn't Connect." My iPhone still...
  8. Wireless headphones can't connect or appear on my windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless headphones can't connect or appear on my windows 11 laptop: My wireless headphones aren't able to connect to my windows 11 laptop. Other devices such as my phone appear. Is there a way i can solve this?...
  9. Wireless headphones can't connect or appear on my windows 11 laptop

Wireless headphones can't connect or appear on my windows 11 laptop: My wireless headphones aren't able to connect to my windows 11 laptop. Other devices such as my phone appear. Is there a way i can solve this?...
  10. my Bluetooth headphones doesn't connect after wireless Bluetooth update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my Bluetooth headphones doesn't connect after wireless Bluetooth update: problem started now it also happened before . i want to fix this . it says that didn't work make sure the Bluetooth device is still discoverable .. and it is discoverable...