Windows 10: Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet

Discus and support Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Last week or so, we had a storm, and devices got unplugged. Internet service was out briefly. Wireless internet came back shortly after, but my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jgmurphy88, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet

Last week or so, we had a storm, and devices got unplugged. Internet service was out briefly. Wireless internet came back shortly after, but my desktop and our PS4 both can't connect to the internet via ethernet, and I can't figure out why. I've done the usual stuff: power cycle, tried out other ethernet cords, etc. Comcast has said that it's not on their end, and our wireless signal is fine, so we're clearly getting signal through the modem and out through the router. My desktop is plugged into a different modem, but also won't connect to the one attached to the router. A hard reset of the modem didn't help, whether through the button or through the configuration settings. My desktop is claiming that there's no ethernet cable plugged in, though there definitely is. I'd suspect a broken port if the PS4 weren't having the same issue. I've tried a few things on the desktop, including installing the most recent drivers for the network adapter, rolling back the driver, disabling/renabling, and just deleting it and let it reinstall one on restart, and trying to reset the IP stack. I'm posting links to screenshots of some of the command prompt commands I've tried, and the results. They vary a little bit, I've gone into the registry to enable some permissions after access was denied. Any ideas you can send my way are greatly appreciated.
    https://i.imgur.com/kK6y2mE.png https://i.imgur.com/lVWm470.png
    Link to my computer model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883258020
    My modem is a Netgear cm400. Currently all of the lights save the ethernet light are solid green.

:)

jgmurphy88, Aug 29, 2016
  2. RonBueing Win User

Windows 10 No "WiFi" Option

I am connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection. I need to access my WiFi network, but no WiFi option shows up in Network & Internet list on the left hand side of the page and the only available network showing is to my **** Router which is connected
    by Ethernet. The wireless router is working and several other devices are connected, but I cannot see the wireless network on my computer and it has a wireless card. When we set up the router at first it would only connect via wireless and not by Ethernet.
    I wanted the Ethernet connection for the desktop computer for the speed, so we disabled the wireless during the set up of the router. The wireless now does not even show up to be enabled. Any ideas.

RonBueing, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Mel Tar Win User
    Server cannot be found

Hi,

To isolate the issue, please answer the following:

• How are you connected to the internet? Is it through wireless or via Ethernet cable?
    • Is this also happening to other websites?
    • Are all devices that are connected to wireless or via Ethernet cable impacted?
    You may also contact your internet service provider if all devices are impacted.

Regards.

Mel Tar, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet

Welcome to the forum on a none working of from a CNC prompt type ipconfig /all. Then tracert 294.119.131.66 post both results

Samuria, Aug 29, 2016
  5. Here are the results, thanks for your help!

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. Allrights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :Aang
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . :Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . :No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . :No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . :Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . :Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :94-DE-80-92-FE-F1
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . :Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . :Yes

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert294.119.131.66
    Unable to resolve target system name294.119.131.66.

jgmurphy88, Aug 30, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    the trace needs a space you put tracert294.119.131.66 should be tracert 294.119.131.66
    It stating media not connected does the router port show its connected to the pc

Samuria, Aug 30, 2016
  7. I actually did put it in with a space, not sure why it's displaying like this when I copied it over. Tried it again just to be sure, but I get the same message "Unable to resolve target system name 294.119.131.66." Typed it in as "tracert 294.119.131.66"

Currently, four of the five lights on the modem are on. The ethernet light is off. There's no indication that it is connected, but everything is definitely plugged in correctly.

jgmurphy88, Aug 30, 2016
  8. Grizzly Win User

Since this modem belongs to your provider (TWC I assume) I would take the modem to their store and have it exchanged. Clearly the provider end is working but not the connection between the modem and your computer. Do you have by chance a router in between these two devices??

Grizzly, Aug 30, 2016
  9. There's no router in this setup: in another room there's another modem and router, which are definitely working. While I'm not 100% sure that this modem is working (the Netgear) I did use the other one (a Motorola) and couldn't connect to the internet using that one either.

jgmurphy88, Aug 30, 2016
  10. Grizzly Win User
    Sounds like your NIC in your PC got damaged. Are the lights on at the jack of your NIC? yellow and green?? if not your NIC is damaged. In that case uninstall the driver for this card and replace the card with a known good one. Setup your connection (dynamic IP / Static IP) and you should be up and running in no time....

BTW: the green light shows if your connection is good, the yellow is flashing when data is transferred... If the green is off your NIC does not have a connection or is dead...

Grizzly, Sep 1, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    I have a problem here. Why are you asking the OP to tracert an invalid IP address? The highest valid numeric value for any number in the dotted quad address format is 255. 294 is higher than 255, so ergo, invalid. I imagine you're trying to provide some kind of multicast address, but the address you provide can never resolve. Please correct, or explain.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

PS: Here's a quote from my college textbook, Guide to TCP/IP, 5th edition, page 52: "Numeric IPv4 addresses use dotted decimal notation when expressed in decimal numbers and take the form n.n.n.n, where n is guaranteed to be between 0 and 255 [inclusive] for each and every value."

EdTittel, Sep 1, 2016
  12. Grizzly, I think you're right: neither light is on by the ethernet port in my PC. I had kind of disregarded the idea since other devices are also down, but I guess it's coincidental. Thanks for your help!

jgmurphy88, Sep 2, 2016
  13. Grizzly Win User

Sorry to respond so late but I was kind of out of town. If no light comes up your NIC is definitely kaputt (defective in english ;D).
    In your case I would pull up the device manager and remove the network card (uninstall) and delete all the drivers for it. Then turn PC off and replace the NIC , reinstalling the new drivers...

Otherwise you will have orphaned drivers on your PC which can, if too many, slow down your PC

Grizzly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet - Similar Threads - Wireless internet works

2. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet: I have three windows PCs that I just bought, all the same model. When I plug two of the PCs into ethernet, they connect to 'network 2' and get internet but when I connect the third PC to the same ethernet port, it tries to connect to network 3 and doesn't get internet....
  3. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet: I have three windows PCs that I just bought, all the same model. When I plug two of the PCs into ethernet, they connect to 'network 2' and get internet but when I connect the third PC to the same ethernet port, it tries to connect to network 3 and doesn't get internet....
  4. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless

No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless: I have a Windows 10 desktop that will not connect to the Internet either wired Ethernet or wireless. It previously connected fine through a D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter. I swapped the adapter to an identical machine and it worked fine. I plugged in a known working...
  6. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless: My wireless symbol has changed and I can only connect to the internet when I put the ethernet cable into my laptop. What is wrong>...
  7. No internet connection via wifi or ethernet

No internet connection via wifi or ethernet: Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise - I'm not super techy. but I...
  8. Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet: Hello all, I've seen many forums with the same issues, but to no avail I still am experiencing the same problems. I was given my desktop about a week ago by my uncle, and I wiped it cleaned and installed Windows 10 Pro. I go to connect the Ethernet cable and it says...
  9. Internet connection via ethernet problems

Internet connection via ethernet problems: I hope I'm putting this in the right place. We have two desktop pcs both running W10. Husbands PC was off for a while then wouldn't connect to the internet. Now mine has had to be switched off for a couple of months and we're having the same problem with this one too. Neither...
  10. No internet connection form Ethernet while Wireless works.

No internet connection form Ethernet while Wireless works.: Hello. My problem is this. My desktop for some reason can't connect to Ethernet, but it still can connect to the wireless connection(Wifi). I have no idea why this is and it's getting really annoying. Thanks to any one who could offer a fix *Smile 58686