Windows 10: Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies in local group policy ?

Discus and support Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies in local group policy ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear forum readers, I know it's possible to configure Wireless settings by policy. However it seems absent from the local group policy, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NovHak, Aug 26, 2016.

1. NovHak Win User

Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies in local group policy ?

Dear forum readers,

I know it's possible to configure Wireless settings by policy. However it seems absent from the local group policy, which is where I would like to put it.

How can I do ? Maybe it would work if I copy the corresponding "Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies" section from a non-local policy template, then import in my local group policy ? I would need such a template though, since I don't know how it looks like.

I'm speaking of the security templates here (the inf files), not the admx files which I have already since I have W10 Pro...

:)

NovHak, Aug 26, 2016
  2. iamdon Win User

Cannot conect to my IEEE 802.1X Wireless Network after upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update

Cannot connect to my IEEE 802.1X Wireless Network after upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 10 is 1503.250

I can connect to other Wireless Networks

Others in my network running Windows 10 1607 can connect to the IEEE 802.1X Wireless Network

The network is defined in AD Wireless Network (802.11) Policies (see the image below)

The computer certificate is valid

Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies in local group policy ? [​IMG]

iamdon, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Clicking the wifi icon tries to bring up the available networks but closes before it can find anything

I'm on this att wi-fi connection as I write this.

The tool you gave me did not find the problem and gave me this:

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Network Adapter)

Network Diagnostics Log

File Name:
    L: AD3A32EA-ACC3-403D-A2B8-76883722A762.Diagnose.0.etl

Network Diagnostics Log

File Name:
    L: F247BF92-4524-4EF6-B177-CCFF05462B65.Diagnose.1.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs

File Name:
    L: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Other Networking Configuration and Logs

File Name:
    L: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information

Computer Name:
    TAMIPC

Windows Version:

Architecture:

x64

Time:

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:57:25 PM

Publisher details

Windows Network Diagnostics

Detects problems with network connectivity.

Package Version:

Publisher:

travisteeXP, Aug 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

GPO is meant more for a Domain setup. Without a Domain, any user can just over ride the settings.

bro67, Aug 27, 2016
  5. NovHak Win User
    System-wide local group policy can't be overridden by non-admins, and that's precisely why I want to do this, because it seems the only way to have all users wireless profiles that can't be modified by any user...

NovHak, Aug 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Actually they can without being on a domain. There is no such thing as a non-admin on Windows anymore. Everyone is kept as an admin, because of how Microsoft has made it so that either you get the annoyance from UAC and their Sandbox if you downgrade a user's rights that they have to have a admin password to do everything, or run them as an admin, without a domain policy and script that keeps them from going around the locks.

bro67, Aug 28, 2016
  7. NovHak Win User
    bro67, your answer is confusing to say the least. In a nutshell, you're saying there's no such thing as non-admin because it's too anoying to be a non-admin, and that one should rely on an external domain policy+scripts to achieve security locally.

I find this higly risky... While I guess you'll be able to restrict what programs users can run, and maybe even prevent the local administrator from leaving the domain, I don't think GPOs are designed to act as a replacement for the local admin/non admin privilege separation.

Anyway, it would be higly useful if someone could post me GPO inf files containing a wireless network policy section (or links to which syntax I should use) so that I can try putting it in my local group policy, because the local GPO editor doesn't give the option to create wireless network policies.

Maybe it's impossible after all and importing such a policy as a local GPO would fail, but who knows without trying ?

NovHak, Aug 28, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Nothing really confusing about it. Anyone that uses a stand alone workstation can get around the stand alone workstation and user policies that I or you could place on the OS for that user. Only way to lock them from doing any changes, is by going through and using an AD setup using an alternative Server OS to take the place of Windows Server if you wanted to do it on a small scale budget or setup.

I try to stay to the minimum with any changes on Windows 7. Windows 10 I do not even bother, because of the pure fact that Microsoft is always changing things on it, so that it is always evolving into a more mature OS each time they make some major change.

Changing WIFI and Network policies on a workstation is only asking for headaches. There is no easy way to do it with Windows 10 as I mentioned about Microsoft evolving the OS every time they push out a new major update.

bro67, Aug 28, 2016
  9. NovHak Win User
    I am asking for headaches. I will come back here when (if ?) I find answers, in case someone is interested !

NovHak, Aug 28, 2016
  10. Really? Care to elaborate? If I do not give a user admin privileges and give them very restricted privileges, just how does the user do this? And why does having an AD domain make any difference? And we'll assume the admin passwords are a good 20 character random string.

davidimcintosh, Nov 25, 2016
  11. Strangely, I am looking for the same headaches, bro67's comments not withstanding. In fact, I also need the .admx files for a good wifi policy. I cannot seem to find anything for download for "Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies", and my machine does not have it. Did you ever find anything? Thanks.

davidimcintosh, Nov 25, 2016
  12. NovHak Win User
    I had temporarily stopped searching, but your message renewed my interest, and I finally found more :
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/cc232934.aspx

This is interesting because it contains schemas for XML wireless network policy files as well as examples. Presumably, one could create such an XML file in some protected directory, then go to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Wireless\GPTWirelessPolicy, create a string value named Path and containing the path to this policy file.

I'm supposing this out of this post, but didn't try yet. Keep us informed if you ever meet some success ! Of course I will as well.

NovHak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies in local group policy ? - Similar Threads - Wireless Network IEEE

2. Wired Network IEEE 802.3 Policies not showing in groupe policy management editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired Network IEEE 802.3 Policies not showing in groupe policy management editor: Hello,I'm a non domain user using windows 10 and i need to configure the policy "Wired Network IEEE 802.3" as explained in this article :...
  3. Wired Network IEEE 802.3 Policies not showing in groupe policy management editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wired Network IEEE 802.3 Policies not showing in groupe policy management editor: Hello,I'm a non domain user using windows 10 and i need to configure the policy "Wired Network IEEE 802.3" as explained in this article :...
  4. Wired Network IEEE 802.3 Policies not showing in groupe policy management editor

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  6. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  7. Local group policies

Local group policies: Hello, I have issue with windows 10 home basic. There is no options for Administrative Templates inLocal Group Policies. Please resolve this issue...[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policies/bdbb2977-adf0-4aed-a08d-4dd5601fffac
  8. Wireless Network 802.11 Policies not listed in Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless Network 802.11 Policies not listed in Group Policy Editor: I am in the process of trying to get Miracast working. I understand this is a fairly common issue for computers that were upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. One of the articles that I'm following is recommending that I make a change in the Wireless Network 802.11 Policies...
  9. local group policy

local group policy: I have windows 10 home edition 1903 and I need to edited the local group policy but I can't seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy/c696e164-1135-4b8b-b687-38f4b18d1f6f
  10. applying local group policy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    applying local group policy: Hi ive no experience applying group policy settings. What I'm hoping for is that I can have certain registry configurations applied cross all users. If I downloaded a registry.pol configuration, how do I apply this actually? So I've copied the file to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wireless network (ieee 802.11) policies

2. Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies missing

3. ieee 802.11 local

4. wireless network (ieee 802.11) polices user authentication computer authentication,
  5. windows 10 wireless network (802.11) policies not working,
  6. Information for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID: 26c811e8-4041-4f98-9f4a-e7137f4cbb1b Interface name: Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter Interface type: Native Wi-Fi Result of diagnosis: There may be problem,
  7. wireless network policies,
  8. wireless network (ieee 802.11) policies not listed in windows 10 local policy,
  9. windows server 2019 wireless 802.11 group policy,
  10. realtek rtl8188ee 802.11 bgn wi-fi adapter interface type: native wi-firesult of diagnosis: there may be problem,
  11. Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies windows 10,
  12. windows 10 wireless Network 802.11 policies not displaying on local machine,
  13. gpo wireless network (ieee 802.11) policies