Windows 10: Wireless turned off after lid closed or sleep (Not Power Management)

Discus and support Wireless turned off after lid closed or sleep (Not Power Management) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All, In the last two weeks I have been experiencing something very strange with my Windows 10 Pro. When my laptop resumes from sleep the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aechOps, Mar 1, 2016.

1. aechOps Win User

Wireless turned off after lid closed or sleep (Not Power Management)

Hello All,

In the last two weeks I have been experiencing something very strange with my Windows 10 Pro. When my laptop resumes from sleep the Wireless is turned off in Windows. I don't believe it was an update because I have defer updates enabled. Unfortunately, I just noticed System Restore was turned off. *Sad

1) I have checked the power settings in Device Manager and the device is NOT checked to use power management)
    2) I have updated to the latest wireless driver available.

Wireless turned off after lid closed or sleep (Not Power Management) [​IMG]

Wireless turned off after lid closed or sleep (Not Power Management) [​IMG]

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. *Smile

Edit: I believe this issue has something specifically to do with Sleep because when I reboot or shutdown/power-on the Wireless is enabled and working fine. It only seems to be when Windows goes into sleep mode.

:)

aechOps, Mar 1, 2016

2. Can't wake PC from sleep

Windows 10 operating system: version 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

I just used the standard Windows 10 troubleshooter.

Current settings for sleep are:

Screen. On battery power, turn off after 5 minutes

Screen. When plugged in, turn off after 10 minutes

Sleep. On battery power, PC goes to sleep after 15 minutes.

Sleep. When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after 30 minutes.

Power and sleep buttons and lid settings When I press the power button: on battery - sleep, plugged in - sleep

When I press the sleep button: on battery - sleep, plugged in - sleep

When I close the lid: on battery - sleep, plugged in - do nothing

Shutdown settings

Turn on fast startup - enabled

Sleep - enabled

Hibernate - not enabled

Lock - enabled

Power plan = balanced

TIA

Sarah_J_81, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Laptop Lenovo ideapad 500S doesn't wake up on opening the lid.

Laptop Lenovo ideapad 500S doesn't wake up on opening the lid. Though under 'settings' , 'advanced power options' , 'power buttons and lid ' the lid close action under 'battery' and 'plugged in' is set to sleep. Also under 'sleep' option 'allow hybrid
    sleep' is turned to off on 'battery' and while 'plugged in'.

SoniaDhingra, Mar 1, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It is common behavior for any devices to be powered down if you close the lid to place into sleep mode.

bro67, Mar 1, 2016
  5. aechOps Win User
    lol, yes that is true. Thanks for the post.
    However, while the wireless is obviously powered down while the computer is in sleep mode the problem here is that when the computer comes out of sleep mode the wireless device is still turned off. I actually have to go into the Windows 10 Settings and click the Wireless slider from Off to On.
    I am not sure what in the system is causing Windows to actually turn the Wireless to Off when it enters sleep mode.

Thanks.

aechOps, Mar 1, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Again that is normal behavior when coming out of sleep mode. You may want to uninstall the driver and device and manually reinstall, do not let Windows install. You can also troubleshoot with the Powercfg command in the Command Window.

bro67, Mar 1, 2016
  7. aechOps Win User
    Thanks for the reply, bro67. I have to disagree about this issue being normal Windows 10 behavior. I have 2 other machines with Windows 10 using Wireless as their primary network connection and neither of them act the way this laptop does. The other machines start the wireless as soon as the logon screen appears when resuming from Sleep mode. However, this laptop does not start the wireless unless I login again then head to settings and switch Wireless from Off to On. Moreover, this issue just started happening two weeks ago and the device would reconnect to the Wireless normally before that time.

Update: I believe I found the culprit. I had the Prey software (anti-theft software) installed on the laptop and it recently updated itself to its newest version. I believe the software update was causing the issue. I removed Prey last night and after coming out of sleep mode this morning the Wireless was still On!
    Later this afternoon, I will confirm the problem has been resolved and if it has then I will mark this question as solved. Thanks.

aechOps, Mar 1, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Yes it is common behavior with Windows for some hardware devices to not come out of sleep state. Has nothing to do with Windows 10. Yes it could be the anti-theft software, but that I highly doubt. Just because you have two other computers working fine, does not mean that this one will, especially if they are all different hardware.

bro67, Mar 2, 2016
  9. aechOps Win User
    Unfortunately, the issue persists. Its was not the Prey software. I do appreciate your assistance bro67. Again, I must reiterate this was never a problem until just very recently. Something in the last two weeks has changed and is causing this issue. Fortunately, I realized my off-site backup has been working so I'm now deciding between doing an image restore from a few weeks ago or trying the Reset PC feature.

Thanks.

aechOps, Mar 2, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    This problem will come back when you load the old image and Windows 10 updates.

Your problem with that computer is a issue that has been around since XP SP3, which is due to some hardware drivers not waking the device up after a sleep state.

You need to use Powercfg to troubleshoot the issue, instead of just loading a backup and having the problem come back.

I have already told you to uninstall the device and driver, then install the driver from either the OEM website or chipset mfg website. Also turn off to not allow Windows 10 to update the device drivers.

bro67, Mar 3, 2016
  11. aechOps Win User
    Problem appeared to be with the wireless driver, I rolled back to two previous versions and the sleep issue is gone. I disabled the windows auto-update of device drivers.

Thanks for the help.

aechOps, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wireless turned off after lid closed or sleep (Not Power Management) - Similar Threads - Wireless turned off

2. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  3. hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed: i already tried different tv and hdmi cable, also reinstalled nvidia etc... soo basically i can't use it unless the lid is open, without hdmi, it works, but as soon as i plug it in and close that lid, it turns off after 1 minute, yes i already edited "choose what lid does...
  4. hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed: i already tried different tv and hdmi cable, also reinstalled nvidia etc... soo basically i can't use it unless the lid is open, without hdmi, it works, but as soon as i plug it in and close that lid, it turns off after 1 minute, yes i already edited "choose what lid does...
  5. The screen won't turn off after closing lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The screen won't turn off after closing lid: I have DELL XPS9310 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 10.0.19044 Build 19044.1466.When I close the lid, the screen remains on.My usage: I have a secondary 24" display attached and I want to watch a movie on it. During the movie, I want to close the lid so that it does not produce...
  6. The screen won't turn off after closing lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The screen won't turn off after closing lid: I have DELL XPS9310 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 10.0.19044 Build 19044.1466.When I close the lid, the screen remains on.My usage: I have a secondary 24" display attached and I want to watch a movie on it. During the movie, I want to close the lid so that it does not produce...
  7. turn off laptop sleep when closing lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    turn off laptop sleep when closing lid: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330 I want to use with a docking station with 2 monitors. How do I get the laptop to stop going into sleep mode when I close the lid....
  8. Not to turn off laptop when closing lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not to turn off laptop when closing lid: Where can I enable a feature that even if I close the lid on my laptop it doesn't go to sleep. I need this because I'm using an external monitor and it would be really convenient. submitted by /u/KvoDon [link] [comments]...
  9. Laptop turning off when closing lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop turning off when closing lid: Hi I've just set up my laptop and monitor via a docking station so I can work from home with a larger screen. however when I shut my laptop it seems to close down and therefore I can't project the screen. I know there is a way of stopping it from doing this but I've gone...
  10. Power options and action for a lid,sleep,turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Power options and action for a lid,sleep,turn off: Guys I need help.I cant find a way to change 3 actions in my power plan.I need for option "sleep" -action do nothing,"close lid" -action do nothing and for option "power button" -turn off computer. The point is that I cant find proper registry.Is there any bat.file or...