Windows 10: Wireless works fine on new install until I run Windows Update

Discus and support Wireless works fine on new install until I run Windows Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an elderly but perfectly functional Acer 5920 laptop (I upgraded it extensively in the years). It has an Intel 3945ABG wifi chipset. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IronMew, Mar 29, 2016.

1. IronMew Win User

Wireless works fine on new install until I run Windows Update

I have an elderly but perfectly functional Acer 5920 laptop (I upgraded it extensively in the years). It has an Intel 3945ABG wifi chipset.

I've been running Linux on it since forever, but it became necessary to put Windows on it. I installed Windows 8.1 and everything worked fine. I then ran Windows Update, it downloaded (via wifi) all the updates and applied them, and upon rebooting I found out that the wifi had gone - the interface doesn't appear, and device manager says "This device cannot start (Code 10)". Hitting the wifi button on the keyboard makes no difference.

I tried disabling and re-enabling the device, uninstalling it and rebooting, then futzing around with the Intel Pro/Wireless drivers, all to no avail.

After hours of cursing I decided I'd had enough, so I wiped and installed Windows 10 instead. And lo, the exact same thing happened: worked fine, downloaded and applied the updates, rebooted and promptly lost the wifi interface. Device Manager shows the exact same error.

What do I do now?

Edit: Solved it. After endless Googling I found an Italian forum that had the solution - it's a driver conflict with the IR transceiver and Ricoh cardreader. Downloaded the Windows 7 versions of those from the Acer site, installed them, and now everything works fine.

:)

IronMew, Mar 29, 2016

2. Windows 10 works fine until i need to restart and then a restart loop. (i'm new to here so if i post on wrong slot sorry)

Hi.

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are not able to restart the computer.

Let us create Windows 10 DVD and perform Automatic repair.

Download Windows 10

Perform the Automatic repair:

a) When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.

b) The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.

c) Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.

d) After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

e) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

f) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner

g) Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click Automatic repair.

If that doesn’t work, then try the next method to perform a System Restore using the Windows 10 bootable disk and check if you are able to boot the computer to the Start Screen successfully.

Method 2: Perform a System restore and check.

To perform a System Restore, follow these instructions and check:

a) Contact the computer manufacturer to change the boot order of the computer. You will have to change the boot device to CD/DVD drive and then boot from the Windows 10 installation disc.

b) In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c) Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

d) From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

e) Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

f) In the “Advanced Options” screen, select “System Restore”.

g) Follow the on screen instructions to restore the computer to an earlier state when the computer was working fine.

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance, get back to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harsha Rasquinha, Mar 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 works fine until i need to restart and then a restart loop. (i'm new to here so if i post on wrong slot sorry)

At first my keyboard didn't work, then i found out it did but i had to hold the keys down for 2-3 sec's. but that was an easy fix, just click filter key to off. but i couldn't get defender to work with Spybot and couldn't remember how i did it in 8.1.
    So i went to delete Spybot and it wanted to reboot. Twice i have updated to 10 but when i need to reboot i get put in a reboot loop. So can someone help?

MatthewSpitzmesser, Mar 29, 2016
Thema:

Wireless works fine on new install until I run Windows Update

1. Wireless works fine on new install until I run Windows Update - Similar Threads - Wireless works fine

2. My computer was running fine until it tried to run the ASUS automatic repair then I got a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer was running fine until it tried to run the ASUS automatic repair then I got a...: I have no option to troubleshoot or do any other inputs, I have tried restarting it 3 times and unplugging everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse....
  3. My computer was running fine until it tried to run the ASUS automatic repair then I got a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer was running fine until it tried to run the ASUS automatic repair then I got a...: I have no option to troubleshoot or do any other inputs, I have tried restarting it 3 times and unplugging everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse....
  4. Crashes Every hour since building computer. Computer was running fine. until I installed...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashes Every hour since building computer. Computer was running fine. until I installed...: Built A new computer and literally spent the last 12 hours getting bsod trying to figure it out. Computer runs fine but will bsod after an hour or so. Does it constantly. It was giving it more frequently until I switched ram slots. Before I switched ram slots as soon as I hit...
  5. Windows 10 usb installs just fine until....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 usb installs just fine until....: Hello their I was hoping you could possibly help me out. Steps taken so far: Using the Windows 10 media creation tool I have created a boot disk onto a USB stick. I have set the boot order to read from the usbstick first. I type in mywindows 10 key that was sent to me...
  6. HP Deskjet 3050 wireless printer worked fine until I got a new router, now can't print....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Deskjet 3050 wireless printer worked fine until I got a new router, now can't print....: New router, but HP Printer cannot find wireless router. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-deskjet-3050-wireless-printer-worked-fine-until/30456bd8-52f8-4e59-81fb-2ca347eeb75f
  7. I can't Edit photos...was fine until an update overnight

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't Edit photos...was fine until an update overnight: In the middle of trying to edit photos...the screen goes completely blank. Worked fine until an update overnight https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-edit-photoswas-fine-until-an-update/401b83c5-2c6f-4c72-bc31-81f67e04b84b"
  8. No audio device installed in windows 10, this has worked fine until today.

No audio device installed in windows 10, this has worked fine until today.: Need to know what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-audio-device-installed-in-windows-10-this-has/8e29c0dc-58a7-4072-bb61-d85818f1dd6c
  9. Printers working fine until update to 10074

Printers working fine until update to 10074: I had two printers hooked up in wireless mode, a Samsung ML-2525W and a Brother inkjet MFC_J870DW. Both were working fine until the recent update and both dropped off the network. I reinstalled the driver for the Samsung and providing I have it wired to a USB port on the...
  10. Need some help, new install on SSD was working until I updated Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Need some help, new install on SSD was working until I updated Win10.: So I got a new ssd, installed windows 10 on it everything was going fine, until I went to update windows 10, Now everytime I go to boot up the pc I get this: Reboot and select proper boot devices or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. It started...