Windows 10: Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C:

Discus and support Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C: in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm currently configuring a new PC with Windows 10 Pro - it has two identical 2TB hard drives. Somehow (and don't ask me how) the drive order has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WinTenner, Feb 5, 2018.

1. WinTenner Win User

Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C:

I'm currently configuring a new PC with Windows 10 Pro - it has two identical 2TB hard drives. Somehow (and don't ask me how) the drive order has become mixed up and volume C: is on drive 2 while volume D: is on drive 1. The boot drive must be drive 2 given that volume C: is on it as I type this.

I want to change things around so volume C: is on drive 1 but am not sure how to go about this. Naturally I want to have drive 1 as my main boot drive. I do have Acronis True Image installed on the PC as well as Acronis Disk Director so hopefully these will help.

Why do I want to do this? On my old PC I used Acronis True Image to clone my drives so drive 2 was a backup of drive 1. While I can of course just clone drive 2 to drive 1 on the new PC it makes sense in my head to clone 1 to 2 and I don't of course want to accidentally do it the wrong way around and erase new files with old ones.

At a guess the best way seems to be to clone disk 2 to disk 1 and then swap around the boot order in the BIOS. Does that sound right?

Thanks

:)

WinTenner, Feb 5, 2018

2. Activating a GPT Partition

On a Lenovo IdeaPad Ultra Book, I installed a used drive that was working OK and installed Windows 10. After using it for a short time, I noticed that the C: Drive, Disk 0 , and I copied the files from Drive C from the only partition on the disk to a much
    larger partition on Logical Disk 1, which is currently Drive D. In order to complete a move to Drive D, in Diskpart, I typed the command "ACTIVE" without the quotes. and get a message that this can't be done with a GTP partition. My question is how to I
    activate the new partition as the boot drive?

Just for clarity:

Logical Disk 0
    Logical Disk 1
    Logical Drive 1
    Logical Drive 1
    Logical Drive 1

Partition 1
    Partition 1
    Partition 2
    Partition 3
    Partition 4

C Drive /
    System/ Disk D
    Reserved
    Primary
    Primary /Disk F

moved to files, folders and storage

JohnEJBeale, Feb 5, 2018
  3. EmirK02 Win User
    My C drive is almost full, while my D drive is empty

Thank you for your quick reply.

Again, I this is my first Windows computer, so all of this is still a learning curve.

Ive conducted some more research and apparently its possible to allocate space from the D Drive to the C Drive. Is this safe? I have no personal files on the D Drive except for the default files. If I proceed with this, will my computer be corrupted?

Thank you

EmirK02, Feb 5, 2018
  4. Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C:

Are these SSD Drives? SATA Drives? If they are all you need to do is Power Off your PC and swap the SATA Cables.

Josey Wales, Feb 5, 2018
  5. bro67 Win User
    It actually depends on the UUID of the Partition and the drive, for what gets assigned the letter. Swapping them is not going to change anything, because it is in the MBR.

bro67, Feb 5, 2018
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's not true at all. @Josey Wales was correct. Swap the sata cables and change the boot order in BIOS/UEFI to boot from the new drive 0.

For example:

Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C: [​IMG]

If I swapped my SATA cables around, my C: and E: would be physically located on Drive 1, and my D: and R: would be on Drive 0. As long as I changed the boot order in UEFI to boot from the new Drive 1, everything would operate exactly as it does now - expect the drive numbers would be swapped.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2018
  7. WinTenner Win User
    Thanks all - these are SATA hard drives. Some time today I'll swap the cables as suggested and change the boot order then report back here.

WinTenner, Feb 5, 2018
  8. WinTenner Win User

All working now, thanks all.

I should have said that I also have a SATA Blu-ray drive in the PC on SATA 3. At first I swapped the SATA 1 and SATA 2 cables for the hard drives and changed the boot order but strangely this kept C: on drive 2 and D: on drive 1. So I disconnected the Blu-ray drive and then the hard drive order was correct. Reconnected the Blu-ray drive and the hard drive order is still correct.

So all is well. *Smile

WinTenner, Feb 5, 2018
  9. bro67 Win User
    That would be a Bios issue, not a problem with the OS.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C: - Similar Threads - Wish change drive

2. Merging the C drive with the D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merging the C drive with the D drive: I have been trying to merge my drives and searching up how to do it. I have come to an area where I can't go any further. I have allocated space on my D drive by shrinking it. I have unallocated space on the d drive but when I try to extend my C drive it is grayed out. Is...
  3. Merging the C drive with the D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging the C drive with the D drive: I have been trying to merge my drives and searching up how to do it. I have come to an area where I can't go any further. I have allocated space on my D drive by shrinking it. I have unallocated space on the d drive but when I try to extend my C drive it is grayed out. Is...
  4. Merging the C drive with the D drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Drive C/D

Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  6. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  7. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  8. I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend: So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive so i can extend C...
  9. C Drive vs. D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive vs. D Drive: Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway. Thanks for any help!...
  10. Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.: How do I copy all files on my "C" drive onto my current "D" drive (including bootup files and Windows 10), then change my "D" drive to "C" drive and my my old "C" drive to "D" drive?...