Windows 10: With the latest Windows update ".gif" files are no longer animated

Discus and support With the latest Windows update ".gif" files are no longer animated in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; That's good *Thumbs You marked it 'resolved' a little earlier which is all you can do *Smile Threads are never closed because often others in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Mooly Win User

With the latest Windows update ".gif" files are no longer animated

That's good *Thumbs

You marked it 'resolved' a little earlier which is all you can do *Smile

Threads are never closed because often others in a discussion wish to either continue among themselves, or perhaps new information comes to light.

Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Silvera Win User

With the latest Windows update ".gif" files are no longer animated. That is the issue has anyone else experienced this or is my machine really messed up?

:)

Silvera, Apr 17, 2018
  3. EFTaylor Win User
    my animated gif no longer animated

Pawan,

Thank you for your assistance. I had my local tech look at my PC. The problem was traced to a registry corruption. It appears an update, left old data in the registry and once it was removed the program started working again.

Ernie

EFTaylor, Apr 17, 2018
  4. EFTaylor Win User

my animated gif no longer animated

I could not find:

Settings

Purchased

My Library

Downloads

So I deleted Photo app and reloaded it. :
    1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

3. Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.
    get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, I install the Photo app from the Windows Store.

The icon does not open the App. When I try to open a jpg or gif file by right click and selecting (Open With) the icon is gray and I'm getting (Error: Invalid value for registry)

EFTaylor, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    What are you using to see animated gifs? Do you mean in a browser? If so, is it all browsers or just one?

Which version of Windows does Winver say you have? The latest is version 1709, os build 16299.371.

Does this look animated?
    With the latest Windows update ".gif" files are no longer animated [​IMG]

6. Berton Win User
    It is working for me in the latest Firefox and Internet Explorer 11. It also loaded in Edge but slower than in the others.

Berton, Apr 17, 2018
  7. Same here, everything works for me.

Did your Default App Settings get changed for opening .GIF files? You can check this by clicking Start and typing Default App Settings. Then select the blue link for adjusting file type settings.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 17, 2018
  8. Silvera Win User

Bree – your circle is animated. But it is on the website. None work as they used to on my machine.
    Berton - I am just using Windows 10 on an a Dell computer.
    Masterchiefxx17 – I have not changed anything. I believe a few days ago there was no issue with gif’s.
    These gfis are older but would that be the issue?

Silvera, Apr 17, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    @Silvera, you still haven't told us what you are using to view the animated gif files on your machine. Not all viewers are capable of showing the animation. The Photos app can, the older Windows Photo Viewer can't.

What do you open the animated gifs with? The default may have been changed, perhaps by an update, perhaps inadvertently by yourself.

10. Silvera Win User
    Opps, sorry about that. I have been using Windows Photo Viewer for years.,

Silvera, Apr 17, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    You're right. In 1709 build 16299.371 the Windows Photo Viewer doesn't show the animation. The only other machine I have to hand at the moment is Windows 7 and that Windows Photo Viewer does show animations.

I tested that with the 'loading' gif I posted earlier. You can right-click on it and save it to your PC if you'd like to use it for your own tests.

You said in post #1 "With the latest Windows update...". What update was that? Was it the Features Update that would have upgraded you to the Fall Creators Update, version 1709? Or did you already have 1709 and it was just a cumulative update?

Look in Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and see what 'View installed update history' says, post a screenshot if you can.

Edit: and on further investigation I'm even more puzzled - apparently I shouldn't be able to play animated gifs in Windows 7 Photo Viewer....
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-68b599b31bf5

Edit (again): My mistake - in Windows 7 my default for .gif was set to IE. Actually opening with Photo Viewer shows no animation.

Set your default to open .gif with Internet Explorer and you'll be able to view animated gifs with a double-click. Perhaps you had been using IE before without noticing (as I did in 7) and an update has change the default?

12. Silvera Win User
    Thanks Bree, I copied it to my machine and it does not spin. I do not recall when the up date occurred. I have not opened a gif in a while. It real ticks me off that Microsoft did that. I have saved a lot of gif files over the years and now they only just a picture or if you use their "open any file" option you get a supper enlarged fuzzy image. It was up dated yesterday evening at 10:45 pacific standard time. I clicked on "Get help" it opened then immediately closed. Interestingly the last updates were 4/12/18 and all were only 32-Bit Edition. I believe my machine is 64-Bit but my memory has been failing me. (It is no fun getting old) my first machine was a '85 Compact lug-able with a tiny green screen.

Silvera, Apr 17, 2018
  13. Berton Win User

Check your System Info, hold down the Windows key + the Pause key. Or right-click the Start button then choose System. The information will give whether you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version. Windows system files won't interchange, have to be for the version actually installed. The 64-bit hardware can run the 32-bit version of the OS but not the other way around.

Berton, Apr 17, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    Well, to be able to view all your animated gifs, I suggest you set the default for opening them to Internet Explorer.

Right-click on a .gif file. Select 'Open with > Choose another app'. tick the 'always use this app to open .gif files' box, select Internet Explorer from the list, then click OK.

15. Silvera Win User
    Yes my machine is 64bit. I hope someone will post something that will run a gif as they were meant instead of the stupid Open Any File option that blows them up and makes them fuzzy.

I just opened IE and that does animate the gif's. Thanks for the tip!

Silvera, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. With the latest Windows update ".gif" files are no longer animated - Similar Threads - latest update gif

2. OneDrive GIFs No Longer Work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive GIFs No Longer Work: Using OneDrive through a browser, GIFs have not worked for the last year. Previously I was able to view a folder, and all GIFs in the folder would auto-play. Now GIFs in folders, as well as ones added to Albums, no longer auto-play nor do they play at all. No image even...
  3. OneDrive GIFs No Longer Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive GIFs No Longer Work: Using OneDrive through a browser, GIFs have not worked for the last year. Previously I was able to view a folder, and all GIFs in the folder would auto-play. Now GIFs in folders, as well as ones added to Albums, no longer auto-play nor do they play at all. No image even...
  4. OneDrive GIFs No Longer Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft GIF Animator crashes on my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft GIF Animator crashes on my PC: Good Day:I found this morning as I was creating an animated GIF, using Microsoft GIF animator, that all of a sudden it would just disappear! This was to my chagrin and horror, as I use it very frequently and have never had this problem occur before.I have the error log event...
  6. Microsoft GIF Animator crashes on my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft GIF Animator crashes on my PC: Good Day:I found this morning as I was creating an animated GIF, using Microsoft GIF animator, that all of a sudden it would just disappear! This was to my chagrin and horror, as I use it very frequently and have never had this problem occur before.I have the error log event...
  7. Microsoft GIF Animator crashes on my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Animated Wallpaper or GIF wallpaper

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Animated Wallpaper or GIF wallpaper: Does anyone know how to get some nice animated or gif wallpapers on windows 10 because I've seen some YouTubers have nice wallpapers and when I watch videos on how to get them and use the link they provide I am not able to do it Any help is grateful. submitted by /u/Atharvt...
  9. Set animated gif as lockscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set animated gif as lockscreen: Hi, today I discovered that you can change the windows startup sound, so I changed it to the sound of a car starting up. Now I want to set my lock screen to an animated gif of a car’s dashboard. How can I do so if possible? submitted by /u/Jammer313908 [link] [comments]...
  10. Avatars (Animated gif)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Avatars (Animated gif): I don't wanna hi-jack Stephanie's thread so I created this thread for animated avatars. @gregrocker , here is your request. [img] Hope this will do... Creating animated avatar is easy. Anyone can do it online for FREE. The only tricky part is creating the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Play animated gif not showing up on outlook desktop after windows updates