Windows 10: With Win10 Creators Update, Office 2003/Word 2003 Crashes

Discus and support With Win10 Creators Update, Office 2003/Word 2003 Crashes in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Although Office 2003 Pro was NOT supposed to work with Windows 10, it has been just fine until Windows 10 Creators Update. Now when I go to save a new... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by dworsky, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dworsky Win User

With Win10 Creators Update, Office 2003/Word 2003 Crashes

Although Office 2003 Pro was NOT supposed to work with Windows 10, it has been just fine until Windows 10 Creators Update.
    Now when I go to save a new document in Word 2003 in a different subdirectory from the default one, the dropdown freezes, and Word crashes with a message "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working". The document is rescued, but still can't be saved elsewhere.
    I have tried almost EVERY one of the compatibility modes (win 8, 7, xp, 95, etc.) with essentially the same results.
    I also cannot open .docx any more when I could previously in Win10 mode and I think compatibility mode too.
    Can't open some spreadsheets in Excel, but using a compatibility mode seems to work. Could open a newer .ppt, but it crashed soon after. Compatibility mode seemed to work at least for that one ppt.
    HELP... any ideas? I don't want to upgrade (I love the old interface), but feel I am going to be forced to get Open Office or similar.
    Thanks in advance,
    Edgar

:)

dworsky, Apr 18, 2017
  2. Alex Mh Win User

Outlook 2007 and Windows10

"Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode. "

Older versions work. Word 2003 and Outlook 2003 work under Win 10.

Outlook 2003 has minor glitches like autocomplete function - it finds the address but can't automatically fill it.

Word 2003 works well - in fact, I'm considering switching to Word 2003 after spending countless hours on bringing Word 2013 to a usable shape. Barely customizable ribbon in 2013 is a deal-breaker, and so is the missing Office Picture Manager.

Alex Mh, Apr 18, 2017
  3. _Shorty Win User
    Windows 10 Autoupdate

That's great and all, but Win10's autoupdate is attempting and failing to install this update over and over and over.

_Shorty, Apr 18, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Have you tried uninstalling it and the reinstall it.

sml156, Apr 18, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

why not keep your OLD OS as a VM and run the new OS on on your main machine.

That way the old Office 2003 will continue working for as long as you want. Share the data disk between VM and main machine --vmware player is free.

BTW Office 2007 works fine if you have a copy and still like the Office 2003 interface -- simply press CTRL + F1 to minimize the larger ribbon in office 2007.

A good office clone though (much more compatible with Office than Libre or Free office) is the Free version of WPS office -- note though doesn't have an email client. BTW also works on Linux !!!

The Most Compatible Free Office Suite - WPS Office

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 18, 2017
  6. dworsky Win User
    I did the "repair" function for Office 2003... and the problem continued.

dworsky, Apr 18, 2017
  7. dworsky Win User
    Jimbo... I am not familiar with virtual machines... but can look into it.

Thanks for the tip about Office 2007 (and the beloved old interface).

I installed WPS Office 2016 which has a 2003 emulation function for now.

Edgar

dworsky, Apr 18, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

I Would uninstall it totally, then I would run CCleaner and clean up the drive and the registry and reboot the computer and then reinstall Office.

sml156, Apr 19, 2017
  9. Remco Win User
    I don't know if you already found a solution for your Office 2003 problem, but today I encountered exactly the same issue on a Windows 10 machine that was recently updated to the Creators Update.
    What helped for me was de-installing the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in. See https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=2807 After I removed the Add-in Word and Excel 2003 worked fine again.

Remco, Jul 16, 2017
  10. dworsky Win User
    Remco... thanks for the tip.

I just looked, and I don't have OFV.exe (the file validator you mentioned) on my system! Do you think adding would be helpful?

Edgar

dworsky, Jul 16, 2017
  11. Remco Win User
    I really don't think that would help, since to my knowledge this add in is only used to verify older document formats (*.doc instead of *.docx etc).
    In other forums I also found the suggestion to uninstall Malwarebytes, since apparantly this program in combination with the Creators update and Office 2003 causes problems. This program was installed on the affected system, so I actually uninstalled Malwarebytes first, but it didn't prevent Word and Excel from crashing again. So I tried cleaning the register with CCleaner and then I saw the above mentioned Office File Validatoin Add-in, which I uninstalled in CCleaner. After that I didn't experience Word or Excel crashes any more.

Remco, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. With Win10 Creators Update, Office 2003/Word 2003 Crashes - Similar Threads - Win10 Creators Update

2. Office 2003 updates needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2003 updates needed: Hello All,I'm running an old database my Company bought in 2000 for $10K. I am last using it now as a Consultant part time. Too Many years of sales info and product to move to new database for a part time job.It was running fine in Windows 10 on Access 2003. But when one of...
  3. Office 2003 updates needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2003 updates needed: Hello All,I'm running an old database my Company bought in 2000 for $10K. I am last using it now as a Consultant part time. Too Many years of sales info and product to move to new database for a part time job.It was running fine in Windows 10 on Access 2003. But when one of...
  4. Office 2003 updates needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update / Word 2003

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update / Word 2003: Hi, I own Word/Office 2003. Despite Microsoft's attempts to force us into a subscription service for Word 365, Word 2003 works perfectly! with the latest Windows Version...20H2 (I believe). But Windows Update keeps trying unsuccessfully to download this KB 4601554 for Word...
  6. Word 2003 and emoji

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2003 and emoji: I still use Word 2003 to full satisfaction in my W10 Pro desktop PC. Wondering whether such a thing as an emoji font exists, I found that it exists as the font Segoe UI Emoji. Indeed, in the font listing in Word this font is present. However, when I try to use this font, only...
  7. WIN10 and Office 2003 Pro

WIN10 and Office 2003 Pro: I managed to install Office 2003 Pro on two WIN 10 computers. I had no real problem with the install. I was able too get all my old Access databases and my old spreadsheets connected to the programs and working just fine. I think I had a Windows update occur and MS tried to...
  8. Microsoft Office 2003

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Office 2003: Very recently Microsoft seems to have denied access to Office 2003 which is installed on my Windows 10 computer. I have the current Office also on my computer but prefer to use the old version. How can I access it?...
  9. MS Office 2003

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS Office 2003: Will this work OK on Windows 10 please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-2003/e43a87c7-3d4e-4fc8-b4dc-74e065579768"
  10. Office Word 2003 "Save As"

Office Word 2003 "Save As": I'm running Office 2003 in Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) with no visible issues. Except that when I want to save a Word document using "Save As" it prompts me for all sorts of unsuitable locations...My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and some random programs which...