Windows 10: WLan Router "Overclocked"?

Discus and support WLan Router "Overclocked"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, My router is N300 Mbps which means that the max transfer speed would be 8MB/s. Now, I am getting an actual speed of around 12,5 MB/s which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Adalwar, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

WLan Router "Overclocked"?

Hi,

My router is N300 Mbps which means that the max transfer speed would be 8MB/s.
    Now, I am getting an actual speed of around 12,5 MB/s which means that router is working as N490 Mbps, although the connected speed is 300Mbps.
    How can it be? Is my router being some sort of "overclocked"?

WLan Router "Overclocked"? [​IMG]

:)

Adalwar, Oct 14, 2016

2. N96 - No gateway reply - Fix anyone?

Try updating the firmware of your WLAN router.

Try changing the Security settings for the WLAN router, if using WEP, try WPA or viceversa.

el_loco---01, Oct 14, 2016
  3. petrib Win User
    pre shared key

It is a WLAN/Wi-Fi (Wireless Local Area Network) security feature (for encrypting the wireless link). It is set by whomever administers the WLAN access point (router) you connect to. If it is your home WLAN router, then it presumably is you.

petrib, Oct 14, 2016
  4. WLan Router "Overclocked"?

12.5 MB/s = 100 Mbps. Looks about right on the max speed allowable on a 300 Mbps connection.

theveterans, Oct 15, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    @theveterans,
    Thank you
    As I said above, the max speed for a 300Mbps connection is 8MB/s. It will not pass that limit. Due connection conditions, interference, distance to router, and so on, it will actually not pass over 7,6MB/s.
    Recursively, 12,5 Mbps is the expected speed for a 492 Mbps connection.
    There is no doubt that the router is actually performing 62,5% over its nominal speed.

Adalwar, Oct 15, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    No you cannot overclock a router. All routers run on some form of Linux or another. It is all in how the packets are handled, the CRC, if the router is seeing issues with packets and having to ask for corrected ones to be retransmitted, which means that the gateway will start lowering its speed in how packets go through, so that it keeps a stable connection.

Data transmission through Wifi and Ethernet is no different from how it was done in dial-up days, other than the algorithms are better and they are less forgiving to not having to deal with a bunch of different physical problems and environment issues that causes dial-up to take forever.

The other is dependent on what the two systems are doing while data is being sent and received, how many other things that the Gateway is having to do while handling the two machines sending and receiving packets.

Networking is rated in burst lab test speeds, not physical speeds. Everyone's speed is going to be different with networking, all because of their hardware and any rfi noise that can interfere with wifi. If you want more info on networking, check out smallnetbuilder.com

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    You are looking at this too deep. The CPU on the gateway and same for the wifi and ethernet section, along with RAM on the gateway, what the two ends are doing is going to make things at times seem faster or slower. You are just lucky that it is not seeing any issues for packet quality and is able to send them closer to burst speed. There is no physical or software way to go in and overclock the CPU unless you build your own and use pfSense or one of the other Linux based distro's. Then you end up dealing with a whole new form of headaches when you try and make the computer run faster than the gateway software can handle when handling packets.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

@bro67,
    Thank you
    This is a permanent condition, I am getting all the time that speed.
    It is exactly the same as if the Connection showed up 492 Mbps. It is performing as 492 Mbps, it is not a "burst", it is steady.

EDIT: I just Stopwatch time and the average speed is 12,2 MB/s for transfer a 4,5GB file

WLan Router "Overclocked"? [​IMG]

Adalwar, Oct 15, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    I stated above why speeds vary. You just got lucky and had no processes hogging the CPU on the system you were sending the file through the gateway and the gateway was not busy handling a bunch of network traffic. Using a Stopwatch does nothing. There are programs out there that you place one side on the master computer and one on the slave computer, that tells you an estimate of speed for that test.

If you try tomorrow or next week, you are going to get something completely different in how the packets are handled. It is just nothing to sit and put time and effort to in diagnosing why you got close to test lab speeds.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  10. Adalwar Win User
    @bro67
    Thank you again.
    I am not sure about what you said.
    I am getting this speed as the "Standard" speed on my WLAN, so every day, and tomorrow and the day after, will be the same, I can assure you, or the Router will define in between *chuckle

Now, what do you mean with that "Test Lab Speed"? Where can I read about it?

Adalwar, Oct 15, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    I really do not know how you calculate transfer speeds. One MBps is 8 Mbps, transferring a file with 12.5 MBps = 100 Mbps.

Simple maths: 1 B (byte) = 8 b (bits). For instance, let's say you pay for Internet broadband connection for 100 Mbps download / 20 Mbps upload. This means that your theoretical maximum download and upload speeds are about 12.5 MBps (=100Mbps) down and 2.5 MBps (=20 Mbps) up.

12. bro67 Win User
    Again you just got lucky. You are looking at this way too deep. By test lab situation, I am stating that the technical information that manufacturers use to market networking devices. They can go by a set known conditions in a perfect world and state that the equipment is capable of reaching those goals. It does not mean that everyone will hit those goals, because there are so many different variables for every network that may be connected to that device.

Just mark it up to that the Sun, stars and moon were aligned and that you just got a good transfer.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  13. Adalwar Win User

@Kari,
    I was just testing transfer speed of same file and same PC´s, this time over a wired LAN 10/100. As a result I learned today the last small detail about "Speeds".
    About the WLAN speed, there is no doubt that I am getting 62,5% gain over the specified speed of the router, that would not be able to pass beyond the 8MB/s or 64Mbps.

Adalwar, Oct 15, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    You are looking at this wrong. If you are using Windows File Transfer guess what your network speed is, you are going to get incorrect information on how fast the 1's and 0's went between the machines. There is actual software that you use for getting your true network speed between two machines.

There is nothing wrong with your network. Everything just happened to be aligned in the Heavens at the same time.

bro67, Oct 16, 2016
  15. Adalwar Win User
    @bro67,
    OK. I do not agree with that Windows speeds are inaccurate. In picture above, you see 98,5 Mbps as receive speed and 2,4Mbps Send speed and that is very close to 100Mbps, the max for a wired LAN 100Mbps . The speed of 11,3MB/s is the overall average speed, and that I also confirmed to be accurate by the Stopwatch test as I said above.

Adalwar, Oct 16, 2016
Thema:

1. WLan Router "Overclocked"? - Similar Threads - WLan Router Overclocked

2. Overclocking CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overclocking CPU: HiI have major issue with my laptop RN. I wrote abotu problems with WHEA error, but now I think it's overcloacking :/ I didn't do anything and I'm not really sure how it happend. Can someone tell me if it is overclocking?...
  3. Overclocking Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overclocking Failed: I have an older computer with Win 10, I had someone update the Bios I think maybe two years ago and it's been running very well.I hope this is an easy fix! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overclocking-failed/9b5e1103-0148-4a15-b0ac-dbc5b71c5845
  4. Overclocking laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overclocking laptop: I got the brilliant idea of overclocking my laptop. I know I will risk the lifespan of my laptop and heat problems. How do I overclock my laptop? I have a AMD Athlon 300U.What should I do if I have overclocked it too much and the system is unstable How to revert it back?...
  5. Overclocking laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Overclocking laptop: I got the brilliant idea of overclocking my laptop. I know I will risk the lifespan of my laptop and heat problems. How do I overclock my laptop? I have a AMD Athlon 300U.What should I do if I have overclocked it too much and the system is unstable How to revert it back?...
  6. wlan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wlan: 1.1wlanwifi42wlan3“”“”44“Internet”vpnvpncmdnet5slf /scan“Internet”vpn1.2.“”3. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E7%94%B5%E8%84%91wlan%E4%BB%A5%E5%8F%8A%E5%AE%BD/7433f476-1031-4085-8135-a40e656b1dba
  7. overclocking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    overclocking: hello i have a asus laptop with model: S550CA processor: intel{r} Core {TM}i5-3337U @1.80GHz 1.80GHz Memory: at this moment 4GB touch support 10 Touch Points Hdd 700GB My question is i read that i can overclock this cpu from 1.80GHz to @2.80GHz does anyone have some usefull...
  8. To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question...

in Windows 10 Support
    To overclock or not to overclock, that is the question...: Hello all, I have recently bought a gaming desktop pc 2nd hand, I have had laptops in the past and came to the conclusion that desktop is the way to go if I want to game. Specs are below; EVGA Hadron Air Mini-ITX I5 4690k 3.50GHz 16gb DDR3 666MHz ASUSTeK Z971-PLUS NVIDIA...
  9. OverClocking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OverClocking: What is meant by overclocking and what does it do? 118400
  10. How to connect PC over WLAN without a Router?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to connect PC over WLAN without a Router?: Hi, I want to transfer files between 2 Laptops over WLAN but without a Router. How to do it? WiFi Direct? How do it work in Windows 10? Thanks 67190