Windows 10: WMP DVD Playback Restoration

Discus and support WMP DVD Playback Restoration in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So we all know since Windows 8 Microsoft has scrubbed the DVD playback ability of WMP. My question is what exactly did they do and how can I hack it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RECONBunny, Dec 23, 2017.

1. WMP DVD Playback Restoration

So we all know since Windows 8 Microsoft has scrubbed the DVD playback ability of WMP. My question is what exactly did they do and how can I hack it back in? I use VLC Media Player for mostly everything. I've tried to figure this out for a long time but now I am just in the proof of concept phase in trying to make it work.

Anyone have ANY idea? Is it a simple DLL file? What did they do?

:)

RECONBunny, Dec 23, 2017
  2. J.DD Win User

DVD's not playing on computer

You'll have to install a 3rd party program, like VLC player for dvd.

DVD playback in WMP in Windows 10 was removed

3. RicW-nw Win User
    My DVD player now longer plays DVD's

Hi Manuel - this may not be a question for the media player section of the forum because WMP's problem may be a symptom rather than the disease!

Please update and confirm what OS your pc has and I'll ask for the Q to be redirected if necessary... Ric.

(Just for info DVD playback of commercial discs has not been supported in WMP for some time now, but in theory the DVD app should work... )

RicW-nw, Dec 23, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

WMP DVD Playback Restoration

It's been researched extensively and I haven't come across a solution!

Just keep using VLC or some other.

Or, find and install Windows Media Center re-pack:

WMP DVD Playback Restoration [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 23, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    CODECS are needed: Free Download DVD Codec for Windows 10 to Play DVDs

Cliff S, Dec 23, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Dec 24, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Ok.
    I have a blu ray home cinema and don't watch DVD movies on a little tiny 27" monitor screen, but remember seeing this a while ago.*Smile

Cliff S, Dec 24, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Me neither! *Wink

Edwin, Dec 24, 2017
  9. So nobody has any clue what Microsoft did to the program so it doesn't have the options to play DVD's anymore? Is it possible to hack in an older WMP for Windows 10? I am dual booting Windows 7 is it possible to swap that one into 10?

RECONBunny, Dec 24, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    I had forgotten how nearly seamlessly WMP used to handle DVD's!
    (Might try and port this over!) *Wink

Edwin, Jan 2, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

Whats's a "DVD" ?????

Does anybody still use those these days. I got rid of mine a long time ago - ripped to .ISO with AnyDVD and simply play them on my large TV by streaming them from Server to Amazon Fire TV box (the older sensible version which also handles UHD format) and using Kodi to play them/ Kodi installs seamlessly on all versions of Amazon Fire TV boxes / sticks.

Blu Ray content or at least a load more UHD TV content (4K) is available on things like Netflix and watching those types of films on a small screen is a total waste of the format -- seriously if you are watching on a mobile phone can you really see much difference between 780p and 4K even if the phone has ultra high resolution. On a large TV the difference is easy to spot and the whole enjoyment is much better.

Old software that doesn't work should just be allowed to retire peacefully - or if you Must use these legacy applications run the old OS as a Virtual machine then it will work just fine for as long as you want --these days playing Video on a VM is not a problem any more on today's hardware -- a few year ago that would have been a problem - not these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WMP DVD Playback Restoration - Similar Threads - WMP DVD Playback

2. DVD Playback issues after reformatting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD Playback issues after reformatting.: In the last couple of months, I had to reformat my machine and reinstall Windows 10. After doing so, the built-in BD player in my laptop started having issues. It would generally read blurays without issue, but suddenly became finicky with DVDs, often failing to read them...
  3. DVD Playback issues after reformatting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD Playback issues after reformatting.: In the last couple of months, I had to reformat my machine and reinstall Windows 10. After doing so, the built-in BD player in my laptop started having issues. It would generally read blurays without issue, but suddenly became finicky with DVDs, often failing to read them...
  4. DVD Playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Playback: I recently purchased an HP Elite Tower PC. It has a DVD r/w drive. Why can't I play my DVDs on it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-playback/02a81bd6-725f-4e89-82b8-e5bb1a30e1a1
  5. DVD playback problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD playback problem: I just bought a brand new HP laptop with Windows 10 which came with a DVD player. I bought the Microsoft DVD program and downloaded it to my machine. While the DVDs play normally, if I pause playback to go do something and the machine enters sleep mode, when I come back and...
  6. wmp won't play from my dvd?

in Windows 10 Customization
    wmp won't play from my dvd?: Any idea why? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp-wont-play-from-my-dvd/d25acd14-2f81-4227-bd81-100a9e1a9983
  7. Commercial DVD, not home made, will not play in WMP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Commercial DVD, not home made, will not play in WMP: Using Windows 10. I have looked at another thread about this same issue and the "solutions" there don't work. Windows Media Player installed, but I can't find any information on which version this is. WMP is set in Win 10 as the default media player. Yet, no matter what...
  8. DVD Playback

DVD Playback: Windows 10. Why is it that commercial DVDs will not playback on Media Player or any other program? I installed Ultra DVD player and the discs still won't paly. I installed Fast Player for DVD which is suppose to be free but it keeps asking me to pay for an upgrade before it...
  9. cd/dvd playback

cd/dvd playback: my laptop refuses to play any cd or dvd - wtf? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-playback/5abc09c7-3544-4ebf-bf5c-5a556b5e319d
  10. dvd does not playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd does not playback: Hi my dvd player will not playback it sent me an error code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-does-not-playback/71b00ee7-4c3a-44f8-ab72-53ec80697502

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows media player dvd playback hack