Windows 10: WMP Problem

Discus and support WMP Problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I am looking for help please. I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to make WMP the default programme for playing video clips. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Badger100, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Badger100 Win User

WMP Problem

Hello, I am looking for help please. I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to make WMP the default programme for playing video clips. I know WMP is installed although it does not show on the list of programmes in the Start A/Z index. I have been googling around for the answer. I have managed to find the programme and have pinned it to the task bar. BUT if I go to a video clip and choose "Open With"...WMP does not appear in the list of offered programmes either. Is there an answer to this problem please ?

:)

Badger100, Jun 4, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

WMP 12

What is the problem?

'WMP 9 or better' means WMP 9 and any later versions of WMP, i.e. WMP 9, 10, 11, 12 ... Any one of those will satisfy 'WMP 9 or better.' My copy of Windows 7 currently has WMP 12.

BulldogXX, Jun 4, 2017
  3. Windows Explorer hangs when PC Suite is installed

Thanks, pekka - I will try this. Pretty sure I'm still running WMP 9 at home since I don't really use it that much. No problems on the work PC yet but I just installed WMP 11 on it a few weeks ago so maybe this is the problem (or the WMP install replaces
    a corrupted/old version of needed files)

doug_g---01, Jun 4, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

WMP Problem

Welcome to TenForums @Badger100

Assuming the video clip is in a format WMP can play, choose 'Open with' then click 'Choose another app'. Scroll down to the bottom of the list of 'Other options' and click 'More apps...'. Does WMP appear in this extended list? If so select it and click 'OK'. You will open your clip in WMP and from now on WMP will appear in the list offered by 'Open with'. Optionally, if you tick the 'always open with...' box WMP will be set as the default for this type of file.

If you don't see WMP in that list, at the bottom is a 'Look for another app on this PC' link, browse and find it in Program Files and select wmplayer.exe. Again, opening your clip in WMP this way will also add it to the 'Open with' list of apps.

That is just one way to set a default app, it's Option Two in this tutorial.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Bree, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Badger100 Win User
    Hello, and thank you for your reply. I have tried the the ideas you mention in your post, right down to look for another app on PC. Going in to the Program files there is a WMP folder, clicking on that brings up other folders. Hovering pver a folder called en-GB I can see inside is a file wmp.exe but when I click on the en-GB folder it opens up and appears empty saying "No items match your search". Another file has the WMP icon and is called windows media player, but if I click on this absolutely nothing happens. As stated earlier I have WMP in the taskbar when I open it, it has installed all my photos in the library,,,so I know it is on the PC ????

Badger100, Jun 4, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The executable for Windows Media Player is C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Bree, Jun 4, 2017
  7. Badger100 Win User
    I am not a natural on PC problems but do try to solve things. I have no idea what an executable means. I did use windows key + R to find the wmplayer.exe. I then pinned it to the taskbar. On opening wmplayer it does contain all my video clips from pictures. But I cannot make it a default player because it does not show in "Open with" or any of the steps we talked of earlier.

Badger100, Jun 5, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

WMP Problem

It means a file containing executable code that can be run on the PC, the '.exe' extension is short for 'executable programme'.

Let's try one of the other methods for setting defaults, the Control Panel. This method is described in Option Six of the tutorial 'Choose Default Apps in Windows 10'. At step '6 B)' your should see something like this...

WMP Problem [​IMG]

Bree, Jun 5, 2017
  9. Badger100 Win User
    Tried that but WMP does not come up in the list to make it a default.

Badger100, Jun 6, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    It should be there. Let's try again, step by step.

First, find out what version of Windows you have. Use the Winkey + R to bring up the 'Run' box, type Winver then click OK. You should see a version number, 1511, 1607 or 1703.

If you have 1703, open Settings > Apps. For any other version open Settings > System.

Click on Default in the list to the left (in 1703 it's called Default apps).

Scroll down the list to find 'Video player'. This will probably say the default is 'Films & TV'. Whatever it says, click on it to bring up a list of possible apps to set as the default. You should see something like this with Windows Media Player in the 'Choose an application' list. Click on Windows Media Player and it will become the default for all types of video.

WMP Problem [​IMG]

11. Badger100 Win User
    Yes did that, my version BTW is 1607, Clicking on System I have default apps, but when I scroll down and click on video player WMP is not in the list. Thank you for trying to help by the way. I googled around yesterday for a Microsoft Support helpline and clicked for a callback (several times ) but i got no callback.

Badger100, Jun 6, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Be VERY careful who you call. Make sure it's really Microsoft! There are a lot of scammers out there who purport to be 'Microsoft' but once on your system will lock it down and demand payment to unlock it!

Windows Media Player is a built-in part of Windows 10 and should be listed there. The only version of Windows 10 without WMP is the N edition made specifically to meet EU legislation, but as you can run WMP it would appear you don't have that. For the N edition there's an media pack available.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-version-1607

As you have WMP, you probably don't need that. You can associate any program (even one that doesn't appear in the list of available apps) with a file type by browsing to find the program on your PC, Start from 'Open with' click 'Choose another app', scroll down and click 'More apps' then scroll down to 'Look for another app on this PC'. Click it and find C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe. Select it and click the 'Open' button. If you ticked the 'Always open with...' box it will become the default, if you didn't it will be in the list of 'Open with' apps from now on.

WMP Problem [​IMG]

WMP Problem [​IMG]

WMP Problem [​IMG]

WMP Problem [​IMG]

13. Badger100 Win User

WMP Problem

Thank you for the advice....I am assuming it was Microsoft, do they have a UK helpline ?.Re your latest suggestion... Sorry tried all that. no good Im afraid,

Badger100, Jun 6, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    At what step and in what way was it 'no good'?

If you have a Microsoft account you may be able get online help from Microsoft using the 'Get Help' app. Find it on the Start menu, or type Get Help in the Cortana/Search box.

If you don't have a Microsoft account, there's an online contact page here (this is the UK one)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/

The head office for the UK is here and should be able to give you the phone number for genuine Microsoft support. Be warned though, you may have to pay for support.
    Microsoft Worldwide Sites

15. Badger100 Win User
    Thanks for tha e advice...do MS have a UK support line ?. BTW tried that aswell.

Badger100, Jun 6, 2017
Thema:

WMP Problem

1. WMP Problem - Similar Threads - WMP Problem

2. My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I: i have deleted the appdata as advised by Marvin's post. Still the wrong lyrics. I have tried to use Mp3tag, that shows again the right lyrics but when played they are for a completely different song.Anyone can point me in the right direction please?Thnak you EV...
  3. My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I: i have deleted the appdata as advised by Marvin's post. Still the wrong lyrics. I have tried to use Mp3tag, that shows again the right lyrics but when played they are for a completely different song.Anyone can point me in the right direction please?Thnak you EV...
  4. WMP error when trying to rip a CD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMP error when trying to rip a CD: I'm trying to rip a relatively old CD, and for some reason, WMP returns the "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD." error. I've already tried removing unavailable locations, the rip quality is set to maximum, the Error Correction setting is on, the...
  5. WMP error when trying to rip a CD

WMP error when trying to rip a CD: I'm trying to rip a relatively old CD, and for some reason, WMP returns the "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD." error. I've already tried removing unavailable locations, the rip quality is set to maximum, the Error Correction setting is on, the...
  6. WMP crashes/not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMP crashes/not responding: When I'm trying to rip my old CD collection, WMP will continually stop/not responding error when I'm both trying to add the song track and during the ripping. It eventually frees up, but it takes over an hour to rip one disc. Is there any solution for this?Running on Windows...
  7. WMP crashes/not responding

WMP crashes/not responding: When I'm trying to rip my old CD collection, WMP will continually stop/not responding error when I'm both trying to add the song track and during the ripping. It eventually frees up, but it takes over an hour to rip one disc. Is there any solution for this?Running on Windows...
  8. WMP Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMP Problem: WMP will not play dvd from public library. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp-problem/b017d55e-d09f-4942-9fb5-ade496451ad3
  9. WMP 12 problem.

WMP 12 problem.: Has anybody ever had this happen while watching a movie on WMP 12? I am running the latest Windows 10 update. Version 12.0.15063 [img] This anomaly comes and goes quickly (only a few frames then back to normal) on what seems to be scenes with a lot happening. It took me...
  10. WMP Server Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMP Server Problem: I recently purchased a new HP laptop preinstalled with Windows 10. I set up the Windows Media Player to act as a server to my other devices as I did on my previous laptop running Windows 7. That includes my music, video, and photos. However only the music folder shows up on...