Windows 10: WOL from shutdown

Discus and support WOL from shutdown in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to get my computer to work with WOL from shutdown. Motherboard is Asus Sabertooth x77. In the UEFI the only settings I can find is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michaelrj9, May 8, 2016.

1. WOL from shutdown

I am trying to get my computer to work with WOL from shutdown.

Motherboard is Asus Sabertooth x77.
    In the UEFI the only settings I can find is Power on by PCIE/PCI which is enabled (says to for WOL function), then I see a option to boot from network devices which I don't know if it has anything to do with WOL but tried the 3 settings and it did not help.

I am trying to get it to work over LAN then I want it to work over WAN.

I should be able to WOL directly from my router (and WAN) as I can login into my Asus router remotely) The router has a option to WOL directly in the router settings.
    I also have phone WOL apps that send the packets but don't work.

I can get it to work with sleep or hibernation but not shutdown so seems to be a motherboard setting I am missing.

Any help will be appreciated.

:)

Michaelrj9, May 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 wake on LAN not working from shutdown state

Hi,

The "Wake on LAN" (WOL) feature wakes a computer from a low-power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event. Typically, such an event is a specially constructed Ethernet packet. The default behavior in response to WOL events has changed from Windows
    7 to Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Windows 7

In Windows 7, the default shutdown operation puts the system into the classic shutdown state (S5), and all devices are put into the lowest power state (D3). WOL from S5 is not officially supported in Windows 7. However, some network adapters can be left armed
    for waking if enough residual power is available. Therefore, waking from S5 is possible on some systems if enough residual power is supplied to the network adapter even though the system is in the S5 state and devices are in D3.

Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into the hybrid shutdown state (S4), and all devices are put into D3. WOL from S4 or S5 is unsupported. Network adapters are explicitly not armed for WOL in either S5 or S4 cases
    because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states
    in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but lets the contents of kernel sessions be written to the hard disk. This enables faster startups.

To disable the S4 state in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, follow these steps.

Note We do not recommend that you disable the hybrid shutdown (S4) state.

1- In Control Panel, open the Power Options item.

2- Click the Choose what the power buttons do link.

3- Clear the Turn on fast startup (recommended) check box.

4- Click Save Settings.

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, May 8, 2016
  3. [ Solved ] Windows 10 Wake On LAN Problem After Shutdown

Thank you for answering

I disabled netbios but noting was change

After shutdown network card led will be off and wol not working but in hirbernate and sleep network card led will be on and wol working fine

Ali Belali, May 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

WOL from shutdown

I would check the settings in Device Manager for the network controller:
    How to Enable Wake-on-LAN in Windows 10

You need to watch the link light on the router for the computer in question - it needs to stay on when the computer is shutdown for WOL to work.

NavyLCDR, May 8, 2016
Thema:

WOL from shutdown

1. WOL from shutdown - Similar Threads - WOL shutdown

2. why does my ethernet turn off when in sleep and turned off im trying to get wol to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does my ethernet turn off when in sleep and turned off im trying to get wol to work: so i have already tried turning off power savers and configured everything in bios for it to work but it just doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-ethernet-turn-off-when-in-sleep-and/22c0a483-c3cb-4c35-9fa9-947188297301
  3. why does my ethernet turn off when in sleep and turned off im trying to get wol to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does my ethernet turn off when in sleep and turned off im trying to get wol to work: so i have already tried turning off power savers and configured everything in bios for it to work but it just doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-ethernet-turn-off-when-in-sleep-and/22c0a483-c3cb-4c35-9fa9-947188297301
  4. why does my ethernet turn off when in sleep and turned off im trying to get wol to work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows turns off network adapter WOL not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows turns off network adapter WOL not working: Hi,I'm having an issue with the network adaptor on my motherboard.As far as I can tell, I should have everything setup properly for WOL to function.When the machine goes into sleep mode, WOL works fine.If I turn off the PC by holding down the power off button, WOL works.If I...
  6. Windows turns off network adapter WOL not working

Windows turns off network adapter WOL not working: Hi,I'm having an issue with the network adaptor on my motherboard.As far as I can tell, I should have everything setup properly for WOL to function.When the machine goes into sleep mode, WOL works fine.If I turn off the PC by holding down the power off button, WOL works.If I...
  7. WOL does not work in only shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WOL does not work in only shutdown: HelloI have a strange problem, on Windows 10,WOL not working only in shutdown the lan led work fine ,every time I send wol packets from mobile app or win7 from other pc, lan led flashes this means that the packets are sent correctly also "In sleep mode wol works fine".I read...
  8. WOL does not work in only shutdown

WOL does not work in only shutdown: HelloI have a strange problem, on Windows 10,WOL not working only in shutdown the lan led work fine ,every time I send wol packets from mobile app or win7 from other pc, lan led flashes this means that the packets are sent correctly also "In sleep mode wol works fine".I read...
  9. WOL does not work in only shutdown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. WOL not working on any status other than shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WOL not working on any status other than shutdown: As the title said, wake on LAN only works when my PC is in shutdown status and not in any other status, "sleep, suspend, hibernate" I know the issue is network card power related because on shutdown status I can see the ethernet port on my switch that my PC plugged into...