Windows 10: wondering if file recovery after Windows Reinstallation was possible

Discus and support wondering if file recovery after Windows Reinstallation was possible in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, About a month ago my computer was misbehaving and needed repair, so I went to Best Buy. Long story short, I did not backup my computer to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rkhull, Apr 19, 2016.

1. rkhull Win User

wondering if file recovery after Windows Reinstallation was possible

Hi all,

About a month ago my computer was misbehaving and needed repair, so I went to Best Buy. Long story short, I did not backup my computer to the utmost. When they reinstalled windows, I was bummed but went along my merry way, not even wondering if file recovery after Win Reinstallation was possible. About a month into using the computer, and not finding what I was looking for, I thought 'hey, maybe file recovery is possible. Got EaseUS recovery, and found both Download Metadata and recovered Bookmark files for Google Chrome that are likely to have what I need (just the name of the app or the website I found it on.

Problem is that the recovered files look like they're in Chinese or Korean or similar. At least one is a mixture of what looks like a data, or at least structured info that then peters out into nonsense again. Are these files that just got partially or completely overwritten, or is there some way to turn them into something that Google Chrome can recognize?

I don't actually need the whole files, just having urls or downloaded file names and where they were downloaded from probably would have what I want. Anyone have a problem like this?

Here's an example of text from a Bookmarks file:
    Wÿ To% gý Duration& Ný ExitActions # PanelBarItemSecondLevelTemplate' Îÿ CornerRadius( þý RadiusX) þý RadiusY* :ÿ RoutedEvent+ :ÿ
    SourceName, ”ý Triggersôý D 9http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation :x,http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml ` animationRclr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.Animation;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls qtelerikTransitionsZclr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.TransitionEffects;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls ctelerikChromesPclr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.Chromes;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls TtelerikHclr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls <telerikNavigation&clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls QtelerikNavigationPrimitives1clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.Primitives itelerikPrimitivesSclr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.Primitives;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls AtelerikToolBar.clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.ToolBar <treeView/clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.TreeView TthemeJclr-namespace:Microsoft.Windows.Themes;assembly=PresentationFramework.Aero Bthemes1http://schemas.telerik.com/2008/xaml/presentation 3mscorlib&clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib ^dragDropQclr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.DragDrop;assembly=Telerik.Windows.Controls GtelerikTabControl1clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.TabControl HanimationNavigation0clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.Animation 4book+clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.Book JoutlookBarPrimitives1clr-namespace:Telerik.Windows.Controls.OutlookBar W
    primitivesHclr-namespace:System.Windows.Controls.Primitives;assembly=System.Windows .sys&clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib %K & & & & / & D & Õ & ' & y & ê & ÿ &
    & ) & > &
    S & ^ & s & ~ & “ & ž & © & & m & ¿ & 1 & F & × & ì ( $ telerik:TransparentThemeLý$# telerikNavigation:RadPanelBarLý)7 & ‰ 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7

:)

rkhull, Apr 19, 2016

2. antivirus for windows phone 8.1

Hi FSroy, thankyou for the info!

was wondering.., Apr 19, 2016
  3. sarahcrim Win User
    I was wondering if anyone else was having an issue with facebook messenger. It nearly took me off the web 2 days ago.

I did not click any attachments. The virus was hidden in facebook messenger by posing as a message from a friend. I attempted to contact facebook and left a message about what had happened. They have done nothing about it and I am definitely not going
    back there after this experience.

sarahcrim, Apr 19, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I am not sure about recovering those files into something workable.
    Usually when Windows is reinstalled, you'll have a Windows.old folder in your root drive with all your old data on it. Have you looked for that?

simrick, Apr 19, 2016
  5. rkhull Win User
    I found Windows.old, but it has very little of use. There was basically nothing in my user folder or desktop downloads etc. Maybe I waited too long to check it.

Hey, you don't happen to know of an app that kind of like Autoruns, except you can enable/disable system files, apps and drivers. It's the program/link I want to find, but can't get to show up on any sort of Google search. Probably because I don't know the name of it, where I downloaded it, or pretty much anything else.

rkhull, Apr 19, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Windows.old should have everything that was in your user account before the new install. It stays there until you get rid of it. You should be able to get your Chrome bookmarks out of it (Unless, of course, the Geek Squad ran a disk cleanup for you after the install...).

Sorry, but I don't know of, nor have I used, any other similar apps aside from Autoruns. But here's something
    Five Best Startup Management Tools
    Of course, you probably found that too.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. *Sad

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. wondering if file recovery after Windows Reinstallation was possible - Similar Threads - wondering file recovery

2. I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...: i recently hade problems with my audio drivers, i had uninstalled my audio drivers and didn't know how to get them back. I installed other drivers but still no audio. I was wondering if i did a clean windows 10 install would all my default audio drivers reinstall and would...
  3. I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...: i recently hade problems with my audio drivers, i had uninstalled my audio drivers and didn't know how to get them back. I installed other drivers but still no audio. I was wondering if i did a clean windows 10 install would all my default audio drivers reinstall and would...
  4. I was wondering if I did a clean install would it be possible for windows to reinstall...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?: Last time I used my recovery drive, my PC ran into an error in the second phase which resulted in severely limited options in the bluescreen menu. Attempting to recover from the recovery drive at this point just immediately resulted in an error. In a last ditch effort to fix...
  6. Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?: Last time I used my recovery drive, my PC ran into an error in the second phase which resulted in severely limited options in the bluescreen menu. Attempting to recover from the recovery drive at this point just immediately resulted in an error. In a last ditch effort to fix...
  7. Is it possible to reinstall recovery drive files onto an existing recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 Files Possible Corrupt - Can't Reinstall

Windows 10 Files Possible Corrupt - Can't Reinstall: Background: My PC is about a month old, running the latest version of Windows 10 Yesterday I woke up to my computer constantly booting up and then restarting over and over. For awhile I was able to get to the windows login screen, but never past that. I was able to boot the...
  9. Lost files recovery possible here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost files recovery possible here?: So, I've reinstalled my windows 10 using the media creation tool, because I wanted to have a real fresh clean instalation of windows 10, but it went too clean. During the process my whole drive got formatted out of nowhere! Ive been instaling windows for years and...
  10. Windows Recovery Wondering

Windows Recovery Wondering: I bought an oem window with Windows 8. I've been using Win10 update for the first time. I think I deleted the backup files from version 8, 8.1 after updating to Win10. I'm trying to reinstall it because of a recent conflict. Windows is said to be activated on the Control...