Windows 10: won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted

Discus and support won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a used Thinkpad SL510 purchased on eBay. It came with Window 7 Pro. It is an older laptop so no UEFI. I immediately did a clean installation of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by atexit8, May 26, 2018.

1. atexit8 Win User

won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted

I have a used Thinkpad SL510 purchased on eBay.
    It came with Window 7 Pro.
    It is an older laptop so no UEFI.

I immediately did a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit.
    I managed to find all the drivers for it, and there are no problems in Device Manager.
    Windows 10 is activated.
    The BIOS is the latest version.

I no longer can use F12 to choose the Boot Menu.
    Before installing Windows 10, I had changed the boot order in BIOS to USB HDD, USB CD ROM, ATAPI CD ROM, HDD.
    What happens now instead is that the laptop will not boot into Windows 10 when a USB hard drive or a USB thumb drive is inserted into any of the 4 USB ports.
    The USB drives contain only data files and are not bootable.

Can someone explain why this is happening and how do I fix it?

:)

atexit8, May 26, 2018

2. usb flash drive use in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please follow the steps to copy videos to flash drive.

• First, insert the USB memory stick into an available USB port.
    • On Windows, this will bring up a window showing the memory stick is now seen as a drive on your computer (e.g., "Removable Disk" E: drive). You'll also get a menu of options for using the device. Select "Open folder to view files" at the bottom.

Alternatively on Windows, you can also get to the drive by going to File Explorer by pressing
      Windows and E key, then click on This PC.
    • To copy files to the USB memory stick, drag them from the Windows Explorer folder to the drive or right click on file and select Copy then open Flash drive, right click
      Paste.
    • When you're done, right-click on the drive and select "Eject" so you can safely remove the drive.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, May 27, 2018
  3. Windows 10 won't make USB flash drive bootable

I am trying to create a windows 10 install USB bootable flash drive. I'm using the Windows 10 ISO and bootsect.exe command. The command says that the drive is locked and won't create a boot sector. I've tried wiping the drive. When I try to create
    a partition on it, it won't allow me to. It will only allow me to format it. When I format it, it won't allow me to set the partition as "Active". I am really frustrated. I wanted to make a Windows 10 install with a partition containing my computer's drivers
    and another partition with a backup of its completed install (after all the updates). It is a Kingston data traveler 32GB flash drive. It worked when I experimented using an old HDD (but the drive failed because of bad sectors). So two issues... it won't
    allow me to make the flash drive bootable, and it won't allow me to partition it.

SAGB - MCET, May 27, 2018
Thema:

won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted

1. won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted - Similar Threads - won't boot USB

2. flash drive does not show when inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    flash drive does not show when inserted: how to get flash drive to show when inserted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive-does-not-show-when-inserted/23a8102d-849c-4cce-bd8e-47cb64db5375
  3. Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive: So I've downloaded the installation Media for my PC which is stuck in a Windows RE loop and now I dont know what to do from this point. How would I use the Flash drive to boot Windows 10 into my PC?...
  4. Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive: So I've downloaded the installation Media for my PC which is stuck in a Windows RE loop and now I dont know what to do from this point. How would I use the Flash drive to boot Windows 10 into my PC?...
  5. Booting Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted: So I recently bought a USB 2.0 Memorex 64GB flash drive, and after using it as a disk in VMware, the flash drive now doesn't load in Windows and appears as "USB Drive F: without a storage indicator, doesn't load in the virtual machine, and freezes explorer when loading the...
  7. USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted: So I recently bought a USB 2.0 Memorex 64GB flash drive, and after using it as a disk in VMware, the flash drive now doesn't load in Windows and appears as "USB Drive F: without a storage indicator, doesn't load in the virtual machine, and freezes explorer when loading the...
  8. USB Flash Drive slows down computers when inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Screen Flash When insert USB

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Flash When insert USB: I have Asus X512FJ, with new Windows updates It displays Flashing when I insert a USB I reset windows I reinstalled drivers can't fix that, but it not flashing when on battery only flashing display on charging mode please tell me someone what I have to do??...
  10. USB Flash drive please insert a disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive please insert a disk: Usb flash drive please insert a disk, tried different computers. Updated drivers. Changed drive letter. Uninstalled driver and reinstalled. Checked for updates. Ran troubleshooter. Please help I have a document I really need.......