Windows 10: Word 2003 won't work.. any way to fix it?

Discus and support Word 2003 won't work.. any way to fix it? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since installing Win10 I can't get 2003 Office Word to work. It won't make links for email and web addresses, the wrong toolbars come up again and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by t8769, Feb 6, 2016.

1. t8769 Win User

Word 2003 won't work.. any way to fix it?

Since installing Win10 I can't get 2003 Office Word to work.

It won't make links for email and web addresses, the wrong toolbars come up again and again, and it generally doesn't work.

Any way to fix this? I have tried with two different 2003 Office programmes, re-installing, but no luck.

Thanks

:)

t8769, Feb 6, 2016

2. Viewing shortcut destinations in Save As dialogue

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Office 2003. 'All Files' isn't an option in my Save as Type dropdown in Word, Excel or Outlook. Any way to fix that?

EwanMacPhillimy, Feb 6, 2016
  3. E65 Quick Office

it won't read these files

from the word 2007 use the option 'save as' 'Word 97 - 2003 Document'

noury---01, Feb 6, 2016
  4. Josbeph Win User

I don't know if this is the solution, but I think that Office 2003 is so old that it works but has errors because of Compatibility. I had this same problem, so bought a subscription to Office 2016 and it all worked fine!

Josbeph, Feb 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    There are others who claim Office 2003 is working ok in Windows 10.

However, technically speaking, and from the now defunct Windows Compatibility Center, MS Office 2003 is NOT compatible.

Here is a reply from another forum...........................

Which versions of Microsoft Office are officially supported Windows 10?

excerpt :
    Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

davidhk, Feb 6, 2016
  6. Josbeph Win User
    Definitely a good answer.

Josbeph, Feb 6, 2016
  7. t8769 Win User
    A pity, as I have no need for the new Office and hate the ribbons - still use Office 97 which works fine!

Thanks

t8769, Feb 6, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

You are welcome.

Sorry for the bad news.

davidhk, Feb 6, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Of course there's always a way to fix these types of problems.

I'd install W7 / W8 / W8.1 /XP or Vista (your choice) as a Virtual Machine --then Office 2003 will work like a charm. Running a VM these days doesn't use a huge amount of resources -- in fact for "Officy" type programs it's ideal --saves all sorts of compatibility problems and you can always turn the VM off when you don't need it.

Even on a modest 4GB laptop you should be able to support 1 VM. Use VBOX (free) for running the VM.

Powering up a VM is cheaper than buying new Office software - especially if you aren't using all the bells and whistles in the latest offerings - and all the old document formats are readable by people with the new formats. You can get READERS (FREE) for the new office formats too if you stay with the older versions.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 7, 2016
  10. strollin Win User
    I have Office 2003 running in Win 10 and don't have any of the issues you describe such as you state here: "It won't make links for email and web addresses, the wrong toolbars come up again and again, and it generally doesn't work."

My advice would be do do a clean install of Win 10, then install Office 2003.

strollin, Feb 7, 2016
  11. t8769 Win User
    Yes, its seems that Win10 is corrupted somehow.....
    thanks

t8769, Feb 7, 2016
  12. lnjr Win User
    I have not upgraded my windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 just yet - just a little hesitant about doing so. Yes, I know, I need to do it soon if I want the free upgrade. Anyway, I was concerned about MS Office running with Windows 10 since it supposedly is not compatible so I downloaded and installed Libre Office and have been getting use to using that free office program. I can't see paying MS for the new Office program when there is nothing wrong with Office 2003 and I simply can't afford to purchase a new office program.

Anyway, it has taken a little bit of getting use to LibreOffice, but for a free program it isn't bad and you can still open office programs in Libre Office and save in that format if you prefer (which is what I have been doing). Just a thought if you have an issue with windows 10 and office 97 or 2003 playing nice together.

13. t8769 Win User

Thanks, I have tried Libre and it is very good.

t8769, Feb 7, 2016
  14. strollin Win User
    I have tried Office 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 & 2016 on Win 10 (as well as LibreOffice, OpenOffice and WPS Office). All seem to work fine for me.

strollin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Word 2003 won't work.. any way to fix it? - Similar Threads - Word 2003 won't

2. Why does Word art not work in Word 2021, but does work in Word 1997-2003?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Word art not work in Word 2021, but does work in Word 1997-2003?: Why does Word art does not work in Word 2021, but does work in Word 1997-2003? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-word-art-not-work-in-word-2021-but-does/e4a10747-c430-4c41-8f73-3f7600851641
  3. Is there any way to fix this?

Is there any way to fix this?: The websites i´m on keep reloading itself and if i´m watching something the video/episode/movie starts at the beginning. This happens a lot and its very irritating, is there any way to fix this. I have used chrome for many years and this is the first time witnessing this. I...
  4. Is there any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to fix this?: The websites i´m on keep reloading itself and if i´m watching something the video/episode/movie starts at the beginning. This happens a lot and its very irritating, is there any way to fix this. I have used chrome for many years and this is the first time witnessing this. I...
  5. Is there any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to fix this?: One day I was starting my laptop and this appeared! I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps but nothing works! My PC manufacturer, "ASUS" said the Windows is corrupted and they'll be needing to reset it completely to brand new! Is there any way to fix this without doing...
  6. Is there any way to fix this?

Is there any way to fix this?: One day I was starting my laptop and this appeared! I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps but nothing works! My PC manufacturer, "ASUS" said the Windows is corrupted and they'll be needing to reset it completely to brand new! Is there any way to fix this without doing...
  7. Is there any way to fix this?.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any way to fix this?.: So basically when i download i usually do 10mbs, but when i download now its 200kbs and when i do a diagnostic it says The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken. And it says this to fix it....
  8. Any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to fix this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BleedingSimonGamer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etbmca/any_way_to_fix_this/
  9. Word 2003 and emoji

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2003 and emoji: I still use Word 2003 to full satisfaction in my W10 Pro desktop PC. Wondering whether such a thing as an emoji font exists, I found that it exists as the font Segoe UI Emoji. Indeed, in the font listing in Word this font is present. However, when I try to use this font, only...
  10. Office Word 2003 "Save As"

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Word 2003 "Save As": I'm running Office 2003 in Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) with no visible issues. Except that when I want to save a Word document using "Save As" it prompts me for all sorts of unsuitable locations...My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and some random programs which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tool bars wont work on Word 2003

2. a word 2003 file wont work

3. why wont word 2003 work