Windows 10: Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Today, I upgraded a Windows 8 system to Windows 10 Home. All seemed to work well. NOW however, Word 2007 cannot open a .DOCM file that has an embedded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wyeknott, Aug 14, 2018.

1. wyeknott Win User

Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10

Today, I upgraded a Windows 8 system to Windows 10 Home. All seemed to work well.
    NOW however, Word 2007 cannot open a .DOCM file that has an embedded Excel spreadsheet object (.XLS).
    I've never seen such a thing before and I'm lost.
    There's a bunch of chatter about Security and Permissions for HomeGroupUser$ but I've not succeeded in getting the logged-in user (who is a member of Administrators but not HomeUsers) to open such a file.

Does anyone have a definite fix for this issue?
    It apparently started with the "upgrade" to Windows 10.
    I considering upgrading to Windows 10 Pro but I wonder if that's going to help materially.

Thanks in advance...

:)

wyeknott, Aug 14, 2018
  2. Berton Win User
    Berton, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Way18 Win User

2007 Word files open only as READ ONLY

2007 Word program document since updating Windows 10 most file documents open as read only. Is there a way to remove the read only security restriction on my files? Sorry but I am not computer wise and require a step by step process to correct this. Really
    appreciate your help. Have a great day...

Way18, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Word 2007 Longer

2. Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document: I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, Build 19041.508. A few weeks ago and out of the blue, Windows Explorer began "not responding" when I attempted to open a Word 2007 .docx file. When I click on the .docx file and then immediately attempt to switch to Explorer, I...
  3. Word 2007

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word 2007: Yes, I know it's no longer supported, but I'm pretty sure that Microsoft have actively removed a facility that used to work, namely, encryption. I can no longer find the facility within Word. The only place I see it mentioned is in the Properties of the Word file, where it is...
  4. Windows 10 Office 2007 Word & Excel can only open docs if run as Admin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Office 2007 Word & Excel can only open docs if run as Admin: My HP Compaq nc6120 laptop works perfectly well on 1909 when booted from a Windows To Go USB stick but always fails when I try to upgrade the 1709 installed on its hard drive. In case lack of space was the issue, I cleared the user files off to make 8GB available but it still...
  5. Word 2007 no longer reognised by Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Word 2007 no longer reognised by Win 10 update: After installing the latest Win 10 update, MS no longer recognizes my LEGITIMATE purchased MS Word 2007 Home product. Now every time I try to open a Word Doc, it tries to get me to subscribe to Word 365. What now?...
  6. docm files

docm files: Some how all my files have been converted to docm files, I dont know how this happened, Is there a way to convert them all back to their original file formats? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/docm-files/3b07402e-a123-495d-ad21-f843299144aa"
  7. Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clicking on a word file in Exploring does not open Word 2007 like it should: On my Win 7 computer at home, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it successfully opens Word 2007. On my Win 10 laptop, though, even though Word 2007 is on it and can be opened easily and works great, if I doubleclick a Word file in Exploring, it asks me if I want to...
  8. After upgrading From Windows 7 to Windows 10, Excel 2013 can no longer open .xlsx files on...

After upgrading From Windows 7 to Windows 10, Excel 2013 can no longer open .xlsx files on...: I put this in the Windows 10 category because it started when upgrading from Win7 to Win10. Even an empty .xlsx file won't open from Network Share. No problem with Word or PowerPoint. "Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more Documents because there is not enough...
  9. Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10: Today, I upgraded a Windows 8 system to Windows 10 Home. All seemed to work well. NOW however, Word 2007 cannot open a .DOCM file that has an embedded Excel spreadsheet object (.XLS). I've never seen such a thing before and I'm lost. There's a bunch of chatter about Security...
  10. Word 2007 configuration

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2007 configuration: My OS is Windows 10 and my computer is an HP Lap Top series 15. I have MS Office2007 installed and all of a sudden when I open Word it wants to go through a reconfiguration process which takes about 45 seconds. It will do it every time. To try to repair I put in the Office CD...