Windows 10: Word and excel Documenets Marked as read only and cannot save

Discus and support Word and excel Documenets Marked as read only and cannot save in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello, I have new fun problem with Word and Excel documents that I have been editing for years (such as resumes) opening a "read only" doc and when... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by hawkman2k, Jul 29, 2017.

1. hawkman2k Win User

Word and excel Documenets Marked as read only and cannot save

Hello,

I have new fun problem with Word and Excel documents that I have been editing for years (such as resumes) opening a "read only" doc and when I try to save to its original folder getting an error the drive is either full or that I do not have permissions to write to this folder (such as root C drive). I just now found out I can save to my C:\Downloads folder so I have a workaround. (thank goodness!!)

This problem also extends to any new word or excel doc I try to create and then try to save.
    This problem DOES NOT extend to other office Apps and files such as Power Point as old docs do not open as read only can be edited and save as well new PP docs can also be saved to the very folders that Work and Excel are telling me are full or to which my ID does not have permissions.

The OS version I am using is Home Windows 10 and I am using Office 365 with the subscription valid through November.

Lastly I had an Windows update (1703) on July 18th which I suspect is the cause of this issue.

I was on the phone with MS support who was unable to remedy and has bumped me up to a level 2 appointment on Monday.

This morning I noticed my USERS drive had the "Read only" attribute under properties and thought I might have found the fix by removing that attribute. I was prompted to run this change as administrator I clicked continue which my ID is and is also my Windows Live id. The dialogue process box then logged it was removing the attribute from several gig of files and subfolders and at least briefly it seemed that I had stumbled onto the answer!

But alas when I open a new Windows explorer and click under properties the USERS folder shows that it still READ ONLY and so are all the user account folders and their subfolders.

I found some older remedies online but none have worked.
    Has anyone else had this issue and resolved?
    Any input would be welcome

:)

hawkman2k, Jul 29, 2017

2. Files and folders are marked as Read Only in Windows 10 after installing a recent update.

The "issue" I raise in this thread is, from what I read in other forums, is due to MS Office changes released in recent Windows updates. I have identified changes made to Microsoft Outlook mail concerning attachments to be my specific question. As such
    my query is not pertinent to this particular forum and I will bow out.

RobertFrost49, Jul 29, 2017
  3. Files and folders are marked as Read Only in Windows 10 after installing a recent update.

Keith,

Thanks for your reply. What you illustrated is correct, but the problem appears to a little more basic. Specifically I am talking of text files outputted in strategy games. This file has been used in these games for 20 years. An individual makes a move
    and saves to this text file. The file is then emailed to another individual. The recipient saves and subsequently makes a move. This process has been repeated, as I noted, for 20 years through any number of Windows versions (95 up to Windows 10). Only
    in the last couple of weeks have these files begun being marked as Read Only. I note two 64-bit updates to Windows 10 in this time period. Something has been introduced via the update, because others in this gaming organization are reporting the same and
    only in the recent time period.

The cause is still unknown...

RobertFrost49, Jul 29, 2017
  4. hawkman2k Win User

I just got off the phone with MS Support and he had found the Bit Defender 2017 anti virus Software has these exact issues with certain Office 365 products. We removed the Bit Defender, restarted my PC and issue has been resolved.

I confirmed this issue on the Bit Defender Forums and it seems that when removed and replaced with 2018 Version the conflicts between the two products have been resolved.

So if anyone else has this problem with Office 365 and is also running BD 2017 this should resolve your issues

I am contacting BD support now.

hawkman2k, Jul 30, 2017
  5. docpipo Win User
    Thank you for letting us know the answer to your issue, it will be helpful to future Google-ers of the same issue.

docpipo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Word and excel Documenets Marked as read only and cannot save - Similar Threads - Word excel Documenets

2. Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?: I have a 6-month old desktop running Windows 11. I do not want to purchase Word or Excel. I've ran into a problem trying to download information from the Calif. Public Utilities Commission that's in an Excel format. Is there anyway to download a read-only copy or see the...
  3. Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?: I have a 6-month old desktop running Windows 11. I do not want to purchase Word or Excel. I've ran into a problem trying to download information from the Calif. Public Utilities Commission that's in an Excel format. Is there anyway to download a read-only copy or see the...
  4. Games unable to save to the My Games folder, marked as Read Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games unable to save to the My Games folder, marked as Read Only: I was playing Skyrim Special Edition, and everything was going fine. I had made a few saves and had no problems. Suddenly, I was unable to save the game, creating a manual save or a quick save would crash the game, any anything that created an autosave would also crash the...
  5. All folders are marked read only.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All folders are marked read only.: I'm having issues where my version of Windows 10 is making all of my folders read-only and causing major access denied errors happen with some programs that need read and write access. [ATTACH] Its not a problem with the program its windows and as I'm running on Windows...
  6. Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?: win 10 Home v 10.0.18362 Tia; If this is not the right forum , Please aim me at the proper one . Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ? I don't know how this happened , but it started yesterday . I am trying to backup Folders to flash drive , but the Read-only get...
  7. Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?: win 10 Home v 10.0.18362 Tia; If this is not the right forum , Please aim me at the proper one . Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ? I don't know how this happened , but it started yesterday . I am trying to backup Folders to flash drive , but the Read-only get...
  8. Regarding Folders Marked "Read Only"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Regarding Folders Marked "Read Only": This is just a slight issue in which folders marked as "Read Only" are locked with this attribute and cannot be changed. I first tried the standard approach, going into the folder properties and disabling read only and then clicking apply and exiting the properties which I...
  9. Drives Marked Read Only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives Marked Read Only: I have several hard drives on my PCs; some are physical, some are partitions. In every PC I've upgraded, W10 marks these as RO. I go through the ritual of setting permissions to Full and marking RW, but occasionally a drive will revert to RO. I can't find a Take Ownership...
  10. Excel - read only bug

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel - read only bug: I have recently installed Windows 10 on my desktop. I now find that most of my files are "read only" I have tried to deactivate this in properties for the various folders but it does not work. Other than trying to copy every file that is currently in use what can you suggest...