Windows 10: Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize

Discus and support Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm wondering if someone has seen this problem. I've been running MS Office 2007 on Windows 10 for over six months with no problems. Now all of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kent1, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Kent1 Win User

Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize

I'm wondering if someone has seen this problem. I've been running MS Office 2007 on Windows 10 for over six months with no problems. Now all of a sudden, Word will not open to full screen, but remains minimized on the task bar. And there is nothing that I can to to maximize to full screen. This happens with any new or saved .doc or .docx files. PDFs and Excel files open fine with no problems I tried to repair Word from the install disk, and even uninstalled then reinstalled the whole Office suite, but nothing has worked to solve this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Kent1, Jun 9, 2017
  2. Jim T80 Win User

Can't get Word as default program for Word documents

Thanks for your response.

Word works fine in the user account. The user can open .doc and .docx files from Word without a problem, but she clicks directly on a .doc or .docx file, we get Wordpad.

Jim T80, Jun 9, 2017
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Notepad

Open it in Word, then do a Save as and save it as a doc or docx file.

Ken Blake, Jun 9, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @Kent1

When you open Word and its icon is on the taskbar, do you see a thumbnail of the Word document if you hover the mouse over the icon? This suggest it's running correctly.

Is the icon's background the same colour as the rest of the taskbar, or is it highlighted by being slightly lighter?

Any icon on the taskbar will be highlighted while the mouse hovers over it. If the icon is underlined it indicates the app is running.

If you click on an icon and open its window it remains highlighted when the mouse is moved away, this is the taskbar's way of telling the window is open, it will not be highlighted when minimised.

If your Word icon indicates the window should be open somewhere (if not, click on it so it does) but you can't see a window, then it may be that the open window is lost somewhere off the edge of your desktop, sometimes these coordinates get messed up. Try right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting 'Cascade windows'. This should reposition any 'lost' window back into the visible desktop area.

Bree, Jun 9, 2017
  5. Kent1 Win User
    Thanks Bree, that solved my problem. Somehow position got locked in off the edge of my second screen, which is connected to my TV. I had checked earlier to see if the window was on that screen, but it wasn't there. But when I hit cascade as you suggested, it popped right up on the TV. Thanks so much for the great answer.

Kent1, Jun 9, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs
    You're welcome, glad to have helped.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize - Similar Threads - Word doc docx

2. File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files: Windows 11 File Explorer Search If I search from "Desktop", I do see some .docx and some .doc returned based on a search term in teh file contents. I have a folder "Business" on the "Desktop" and a subfolder "Tests". The folder contains 2000 .doc and 2000 .pdf files. When I...
  3. File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files: Windows 11 File Explorer Search If I search from "Desktop", I do see some .docx and some .doc returned based on a search term in teh file contents. I have a folder "Business" on the "Desktop" and a subfolder "Tests". The folder contains 2000 .doc and 2000 .pdf files. When I...
  4. Cannot upload docx or doc files to certain webpages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot upload docx or doc files to certain webpages: I have a problem with uploading docx and doc files to certain webpages like indeed and Linkedin. so I have tried to do as much troubleshooting as possible but I am running out of ideas. I'm using a Hp EliteBook 850-G4 with windows 10 Home edition I do not have any...
  5. Can't open a Word Doc.

Can't open a Word Doc.: Can't open a Word Doc saved less than 24 hours ago. The message I get is file is either deleted or not available at this time. I didn't delete it. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-a-word-doc/6c951d89-266a-4331-853f-4c10aa286679
  6. file explorer opens wordperfect doc in word

file explorer opens wordperfect doc in word: Windows 10 file explorer opens Wordperfect document in Word. I have never had this problem with file explorer in previous versions. I have always double clicked on the document and it opens in its correct program. How do change this setting?...
  7. opening a word doc

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening a word doc: since purchasing and installing Adobe, When I open a document in word i have about 3 signs coming up - eg: File not found: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/MACPDFM/MacPDFM.framework/Versions/A/MacPDFM How do I stop this?...
  8. I am unable to open word doc or create word docs

I am unable to open word doc or create word docs: I am unable top open any Docs at all- it is like I have never had Widows 10 that is the only program I have ever had on the computer how can I fix it please? All updates and security are done...
  9. how to open this doc as word doc?

how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...
  10. OneDrive and open Word docs

OneDrive and open Word docs: Okay, so I am using the native OneDrive app for my cloud storage. Now let's say I am working on a Word doc, (in Office 2016, i.e., I am using the regular desktop Office suite), and I have the doc open for a couple hours straight. In the course of that time, I make a lot of...