Windows 10: Work network changes personal computer security settings through VPN connection?

Discus and support Work network changes personal computer security settings through VPN connection? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am running Win10 on my personal Lenovo notebook, and have since the free upgrade from Win8.1. When I want to work from home, I connect to my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by vizwhiz, Jul 22, 2018.

1. vizwhiz Win User

Work network changes personal computer security settings through VPN connection?

I am running Win10 on my personal Lenovo notebook, and have since the free upgrade from Win8.1. When I want to work from home, I connect to my company's network via a Forticlient VPN connection to access shared network folders, and programs on the office Terminal Server if need be. Not long ago, they upgraded the firewall to a stronger, more recent technology, changing the VPN to Forticlient at that time (used to be Astaro). When that firewall upgrade was performed, they locked out many websites such as Facebook, Instagram, Spotify, Skype, Whatsapp, etc. Most of us regular office workers can no longer stream music at our desks, or access messaging services during work hours. I understand this, and it is a company choice, so no issue when I'm at the office working.

However, I recently noticed that when I am working from home, and I connect to the office network via the VPN, my security settings change, and i am no longer able to access some of those websites, services, etc. It is as though they set up the VPN to overwrite my personal computer settings. I understand that they have these restrictions when I am at the office connected to the in-office network system. But to not be able to connect to websites or streaming services that I want to connect to WHILE AT HOME working? Not cool.

So, before I get all conspiracy-theorist on the boss, I want to ask if it is possible that they can create those types of security restrictions as part of a VPN network connection? I skimmed through the event viewer at the logs of events during my login session, and there is something in there called "impersonation"? Could that be it?

Second, if the above turns out to be possible, is there a way to force my security settings back to my personal settings after I connect?

:)

vizwhiz, Jul 22, 2018
  2. vizwhiz Win User

Work network changes personal computer security settings through VPN connection?

I am running Win10 on my personal Lenovo notebook, and have since the free upgrade from Win8.1. When I want to work from home, I connect to my company's network via a Forticlient VPN connection to access shared network folders, and programs on the office
    Terminal Server if need be. Not long ago, they upgraded the firewall to a stronger, more recent technology, changing the VPN to Forticlient at that time (used to be Astaro). When that firewall upgrade was performed, they locked out many websites such as Facebook,
    Instagram, Spotify, Skype, Whatsapp, etc. Most of us regular office workers can no longer stream music at our desks, or access messaging services during work hours. I understand this, and it is a company choice, so no issue when I'm at the office working.

However, I recently noticed that when I am working from home, and I connect to the office network via the VPN, my security settings change, and i am no longer able to access some of those websites, services, etc. It is as though they set up the VPN to overwrite
    my personal computer settings. I understand that they have these restrictions when I am at the office connected to the in-office network system. But to not be able to connect to websites or streaming services that I want to connect to WHILE AT HOME working?
    Not cool.

So, before I get all conspiracy-theorist on the boss, I want to ask if it is possible that they can create those types of security restrictions as part of a VPN network connection? I skimmed through the event viewer at the logs of events during my login
    session, and there is something in there called "impersonation"? Could that be it?

Second, if the above turns out to be possible, is there a way to force my security settings back to my personal settings after I connect?

vizwhiz, Oct 15, 2018
  3. How to set up a VPN in Windows 7 HELP!!

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Change adapter settings.
    Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
    Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
    Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Set up a new connection or network.
    Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
    Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
    Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
    Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
    For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
    Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

brandonwh64, Oct 15, 2018
  4. Work network changes personal computer security settings through VPN connection?

When you are disconnected from VPN, are you able to use your PC normally?

VPN actually puts you into the environment network of the company and like you have new access, you will have new restriction but when you disconnected from VPN, it should let you to use all websites.

It also depends on what settings are being changed and how the VPN works. You need to check this with your IT team or the VPN manufacturer.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Work network changes personal computer security settings through VPN connection? - Similar Threads - network changes personal

2. offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.: With offline files set to off I can see all on the files on network drive through VPN.With offline files set to on I can not see any files on the network drive through VPN...
  3. offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.: With offline files set to off I can see all on the files on network drive through VPN.With offline files set to on I can not see any files on the network drive through VPN...
  4. offline files are not working with network drive through VPN.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Install LAPS through VPN connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Install LAPS through VPN connection: I'm deploying LAPS local administrator password solution, I've three different scenarios: * Workstations wired connected in the office: It works perfectly. * Workstations wireless connected in the office: I doesn't work. * Workstations at home connected using a VPN: I...
  6. Network connected but no internet on VPN

Network connected but no internet on VPN: I use nordvpn and yourphone apps. When I am connected to my vpn I cannot connect to my phone. I disable vpn and it works until my vpn reumes and then nada,\. When I connect to my vpn I get a message"Connected,no internet" yet I can access the internet....
  7. configure firewall and security settings for a private network of connected computers

configure firewall and security settings for a private network of connected computers: I am trying to connect my brother mfc printer. I work for a non profit business and we have 2 computers that are hardwired from the printer to the router. WHAT DO MY FIREWALL AND SECURITY SETTINGS NEED TO BE IN ORDER TO MAKE SURE MY DEVICE IS CONNECTED PROPERLY TO A NETWORK,...
  8. Windows10 not connecting vpn through the mobile hotspot

Windows10 not connecting vpn through the mobile hotspot: Hi Team, we've done all the troubleshoots to fix the issues but it was not helping at all. We would like to know is there any solution to connect the VPN by connecting to mobile hot spot....
  9. Connecting with VPN in Windows 10 through the Internet

Connecting with VPN in Windows 10 through the Internet: I get this error in System error log. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. I have ports 1701, 1723 and 3389 on my router and...
  10. VPN incoming Network connection

VPN incoming Network connection: Hi, on Win 7 I created an incoming VPN connection Using my laptop to VPN to that PC I not only had access to my own network, but also could use Internet with my home IP address. This helped in watching TV when in a foreign country *Smile I have tried to connect both to...