Windows 10: Workaround for automatic driver updates?

Discus and support Workaround for automatic driver updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is there a way to stop Windows update from installing driver updates in Windows 10 HOME? Today I was working on some audio rendering on my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TV2, Feb 3, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Workaround for automatic driver updates?

Is there a way to stop Windows update from installing driver updates in Windows 10 HOME?

Today I was working on some audio rendering on my laptop and the PC started freezing with multiple TDR errors - right in the middle of the job.
    Windows had updated my graphics driver and a restart was necessary to get back functionality. All was fine afterward, but I lost my work and had to redo it.

This is INSANE!

I had forgotten to disable Windows Update in Services, so OK - my fault. But still, how can this be a good idea?
    I'm checking here to see if anyone has come up with a third party solution yet.

At the least I'd like to add my 2 cents to the list of people complaining to Microsoft about this. What is the most effective way to contact them?

Thanks.

:)

2. Anne Ros Win User

Low Sound Volume in Windows 10

Thank you for the information and sorry for the delayed response. If installing the latest driver update did not work, and the troubleshooter as well, then let's try another workaround. This time, try uninstalling the sound driver, reset your computer and
    let Windows install the default driver automatically. Then check if the volume issue will persist.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Feb 3, 2016
  3. HID-Compliant Touch Screen only works after device manager Disable then Enable

I'm sorry, I must have failed to make it clear that this is a "Driverless" touchscreen, meaning the manufacturer does not intend to write drivers for the device.

What I was looking for is a workaround to stop the device and then restart the device automatically instead of going into device manager and doing it manually.

Thanks,

Robert

RobertRay1959, Feb 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 3, 2016
  5. WildOne Win User
    WildOne, Feb 3, 2016
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I actually already use Method 5 from that tutorial Brink!
    But it does not help to stop updates from installing the next time you activate it, and there are important updates we don't want to miss.

7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    That looks promising. I will check it out.

I did find an interesting workaround offered by Microsoft (funny!). I am testing that now. I will post back if it works as I expect it to.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

If you like, give OPTION FOUR a try instead. It'll disable automatic updates so you will be able to install them when you like, and give you a change to hide the ones you don't want to install.

Brink, Feb 3, 2016
  9. There is a means to do so. From system properties, the window that lets you adjust the page file, in the hardware tab. Once I get onto a computer I can be more exact. However, there is an option for turning off automatic driver installation / updates.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

logicearth, Feb 3, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I'll try it out, Thanks!

11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks to you both!
    I have been doing that, but of course, there are some driver updates I wouldn't mind getting, others I do not want to change.

Just looking for more user control of Windows 10. It's like owning a Mac sometimes.....

12. cereberus Win User
    Does it stop Windows deciding to use its own drivers in preference to your own drivers?

cereberus, Feb 4, 2016
  13. Workaround for automatic driver updates?

It does.

logicearth, Feb 5, 2016
  14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Just waiting for some updates to show to see if option 4 will work for me.

Question: does setting my Ethernet connection to metered only affect Windows Update, or can it affect other network related traffic, like OneDrive?

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Workaround for automatic driver updates? - Similar Threads - Workaround automatic driver

2. Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated: G'day,When I select 'update driver' in device manager and select automatically search for update, it instantly says 'The best drivers for your device are already installed'. Notice the word instantly. It does not feel like Windows is actually searching for appropriate...
  3. Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated: G'day,When I select 'update driver' in device manager and select automatically search for update, it instantly says 'The best drivers for your device are already installed'. Notice the word instantly. It does not feel like Windows is actually searching for appropriate...
  4. Device Drivers Are Not Automatically Updated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to workaround Canon not updating drivers for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to workaround Canon not updating drivers for Windows 11: Canon CanoScan 4400F does not have a driver that works on Windows 11. I foresee this happening to other printers and scanners.Does Microsoft have any workarounds, recommendations for peripherals obsoleted by Windows?Ed T...
  6. How to workaround Canon not updating drivers for Windows 11

How to workaround Canon not updating drivers for Windows 11: Canon CanoScan 4400F does not have a driver that works on Windows 11. I foresee this happening to other printers and scanners.Does Microsoft have any workarounds, recommendations for peripherals obsoleted by Windows?Ed T...
  7. Windows automatically updating drivers.

Windows automatically updating drivers.: Hello, I have some devices which I want to keep the same driver provided by manufacturer but windows keep replacing them and adding it's own microsoft drivers which doesn't work.I want windows to stop this automatically unnecessary updating drivers....
  8. Windows automatically updating drivers.

Windows automatically updating drivers.: Hello, I have some devices which I want to keep the same driver provided by manufacturer but windows keep replacing them and adding it's own microsoft drivers which doesn't work.I want windows to stop this automatically unnecessary updating drivers....
  9. Automatic driver updates

Automatic driver updates: Windows Update regularly replaces my carefully selected working audio drivers with the buggy default one. Not only is this incredibly annoying, but it's actually dangerous. The bug causes volume to jump to 100 when resuming paused playback, which can cause hearing damage...
  10. Windows Update / automatic driver updates?

Windows Update / automatic driver updates?: I have potentially four machines that are eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade, based on most of what I read I was hopeful that there would be few if any problems until I read that Windows would now automatically install driver updates along with operating system updates. All...