Windows 10: workgroup in windows 10 not working

Discus and support workgroup in windows 10 not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; comrades, I have a workgroup on desktop and laptop both running windows 10 - it was functioning not long ago but recently stopped and i cant figure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wozzabottom, Oct 16, 2015.

1. workgroup in windows 10 not working

comrades,

I have a workgroup on desktop and laptop both running windows 10 - it was functioning not long ago but recently stopped and i cant figure out why. i've pfoofed round so much trying to get it going again i've probably made it worse *cry

I just want to access some files between computers and connect to printer attached to desktop

I can ping desktop from laptop but not reverse desktop to laptop - kaspersky is on both machines.

I tried setting up a homegroup but no luck there either - both machines can still access the internet thru netgear cgd24nv3.

:)

wozzabottom, Oct 16, 2015

2. Want windows 10 machine to rejoin a workgroup and see files on XP machines

This was working but with the last Windows update my Windows 10 machine no longer sees the Workgroup it belongs to. I can find no instructions anywhere on how to get it to see the other Workgroup machines again and to be seen by them. What happened? How
    do I fix it?

The Workgroup name is intact and has not changed on the Windows 10 machine but it can't find the network or the workgroup. Network Discovery is turned on. This had been working just fine for over a year such that I could share files and printers.

Bernard Corrigan, Oct 16, 2015
  3. How to connect to Workgroup on Windows 10?

How to connect to Workgroup on Windows 10? How to leave a domain Windows 10?

Original Post: Workgroup

charles.h.webb75, Oct 16, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

workgroup in windows 10 not working

topgundcp, Oct 16, 2015
  5. thanks topgundcp! - all good again now *Smile - only additional trick was firewall was no longer set as 'local' or 'trusted' on laptop - I am sooooo happy!!!!!!!!

wozzabottom, Oct 17, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Great. I am glad you got it sorted.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    OK question on this link on setting up network. I checked mine just a few mins ago, did have to change a few settings that I had configured . Did turn off homegroup on both machines and in services. Follwed your steps in your tutorial on 8. My network was working before I made these changes though, still is. What I wanted to do for long time was turn off homegroup, but didn't get much help when I asked....in here bty. Your tutorial was a huge help to me. So now for ONE question on this subject. I did almost everything in your tutorial except Setup a local static (fixed) ip address. my network is still working, as far as I can tell, both my computers are desktops running win 10 pro. Is changing their IP address really important, or can I leave them like they are now???
    Mike...

OldMike65, Oct 17, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

@OldMike65

If I remember correctly. You only network with 2 PC'c. Static (fixed) IP is not really neccessary in your case. However, it is always good to assign a static IP for each so in your Router where the Network Adapter MAC ID of each PC is bound to that specific address, (look at the picture on the 8FR, you'll see the IP is bound to the MAC ID on the right column for each device) If you don't assign a static IP then each time you turn on your PC, the chance that the Router will hand out another available IP and this will make the DNS Cache out of sync until it refreshes the cache again. In the case if you have a lot of devices like I do, it can be a mess.

FYI, Each network device does have its own DNS cache: PC, Router etc... where it keeps track of recent access to other devices and if the IP address of other devies changed then sometimes you will experience a delay until the device refreshes its own DNS cache again. For router, the DNS Cache keeps track of sites that you visited to the outside world in order to speed up and won't have to go thru the DNS server to resolve the domain name with its real address.
    For example: Yahoo has an IP address as: 206.190.36.105
    So this information is kept in the Router DNS cache, the next time you visit the site, the info is already in the cache so it will be faster to access the site. Again, your PC also has its own DNS cache. Open Admin command prompt, type: ipconfig /displaydns, it will spit out what kept in the cache.

Sometimes the DNS cache got corrupted or expired then you'll will experience the delay. To reset it, you need to power cycle your router. flush the cache in your PC with: ipconfig /flushdns.

With all that said. However, the static IP address assigned for some devices are very important where you need to setup port forwarding.

Here's an example. In my house, I have a security DVR installed with 8 cameras and I have to set a LAN static IP as: 192.168.1.20 for it and in addition, I have to also assign an available port: 9000 (could be 8000, 8050 etc...) in order to access the DVR and have a peek at my house when I am away.

The process to acces my home device involves a few steps:
    Since I don't have a WAN static IP from my ISP, I have to set up a domain name, for example topgun.net to map to my dynamic IP assigned by my ISP so every so often my router will ping and update my current WAN IP with the server that hosts it such as: DDNS.org, noip.net etc... you probaly see an entry in your router about DDNS and that's what it used for. With this, I can acces to my router but in order to access to a specific device in my house then I have to tell the router what port to use to acces my DVR.

Here's just an example on how I access my DVR, it's not real so don't try to use it, it won't get to my DVR *Smile : http: // topgun.net:9000

topgun.net will get to my router
    9000 will get to my DVR.

Bottom line is: always good to have static IP assigned for each device in your home and done in router so everything in in one place.

Hope this helps.

topgundcp, Oct 23, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Thanks for the info, I do have a WAN static IP from my ISP thou. Time Warner here.
    I also have about 7 devices hooked into my router, 2 are my computers. I have not changed anything in my Netgear router its model 6300. older version. mainly because I've had no problems with its setup. AND I am still not sure how to make those changes you talk about. Easy for you....difficult for me. *Smile

OldMike65, Oct 23, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Is this what you have ?

workgroup in windows 10 not working [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 24, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    @topgundcp

Well YES it is topgundcp, they made another version soon after this one, called the 6300a mine is just the 6300. Also note that I NEVER use WIFI have it turned off, since I bought it. Everything is hardwired.

OldMike65, Oct 24, 2015
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Your Router has the same interface as mine. The 6300 Manual is attached below and look on page 37.
    If you still want to set up static IP's for all 7 devices.
    • Advanced->Administrations->Backup settings and save a copy of your current configuration. Just in case you mess up.
    • With your devices turned on, go to: Advanced->Attached devices. You'll see the list of devices IP's & MAC ID's for each device
    • Advanced->LAN Setup. click on Add: Enter the first IP e.g 192.168.1.2, Enter a Name (any name to identify the device), enter the MAC ID which you see on the Attached devices list to bind the IP & the MAC ID of the device together then click Apply.Do the same for next device.
    • After all done. Reset the router, reboot the devices. You should have a fixed IP assigned to each device.

topgundcp, Oct 26, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

@topgundcp

Thanks for all this info, I have saved everything, incase I decide to try this. Right now thou, every time I log on to my router
    the address's NEVER change.....been checking them for weeks now. Also I have 10 devices with different IP's, some with no
    name or label. If I did want to make fixed IP addresses think I would only add my 2 computers. Not all 10 devices.
    Thanks for giving me all this info and tips thou.
    Mike....

OldMike65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. workgroup in windows 10 not working - Similar Threads - workgroup working

2. Workgroup Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Workgroup Issue: I am replacing our "central" PC for my small office where we all store data in central location. We are a small office and just utilize the workgroup functionality for access. In the old setup, this worked great. If you were not part of the workgroup, you didn't see the...
  3. Workgroup Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Workgroup Issue: I am replacing our "central" PC for my small office where we all store data in central location. We are a small office and just utilize the workgroup functionality for access. In the old setup, this worked great. If you were not part of the workgroup, you didn't see the...
  4. Is it normal for my Workgroup to have a computer on the same network as me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for my Workgroup to have a computer on the same network as me?: I am running windows 11 and I have the whole 255 IP addresses on my netwrok to myself as its my home set up. But today I get notified that the IP address just one above my static one name Workgroup is trying to connect to my IP. Its blocked and when I check the details out of...
  5. Is it normal for my Workgroup to have a computer on the same network as me?

Is it normal for my Workgroup to have a computer on the same network as me?: I am running windows 11 and I have the whole 255 IP addresses on my netwrok to myself as its my home set up. But today I get notified that the IP address just one above my static one name Workgroup is trying to connect to my IP. Its blocked and when I check the details out of...
  6. What does the 'Domain or workgroup' button in settings do? System\About

What does the 'Domain or workgroup' button in settings do? System\About: HiI know I'm not giving a lot of detail but what does the Domain or workgroup button do in settings because I want to know what is does and if its safe...
  7. Workgroup not working as expected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Workgroup not working as expected: Hi all I am having trouble getting my workgroup to work properly between my pc (ethernet) and laptop (wifi). My PC can see the shared folders from the laptop, but the laptop cannot see the shared folders from the PC. I note that under the network folder my laptop can see...
  8. MS wants to charge me $499 to get RDC to work in my home workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS wants to charge me $499 to get RDC to work in my home workgroup: I recently upgraded a Windows 10 Home system to Windows 10 Pro so I could connect to it from another Windows 10 Pro system. Both systems are in my workgroup, not on a domain, hardwired. I can RDC to a different computer in my home network with no problem. I get the standard...
  9. Workgroup works yet doesn't

Workgroup works yet doesn't: I have 3 pc's in my LAN Mark= Win7 32 bit Dave= Win10 32 bit HTPC = Win10 64 bit I'm trying to share the files on HTPC and have created a workgroup. Dave and Mark can share files Mark and HTPC can share files But Dave who can connect to the win7 pc through the...
  10. Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout

Sharing via Workgroup suddenly stopped working; semaphore timeout: echo "Hello World!"; Got a new PC last month; all was fine for the first few weeks until yesterday when Win 10 (Enterprise) decided it couldn't access any shared workgroup folders - and that my other PCs couldn't access its own shared folders either. Now when I try to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 workgroup not working

2. windows 10 workgroup sharing not working

3. workgroup windows 10 network working in one direction

4. windows 10 workgroup problems,
  5. workgroup not working properly,
  6. workgroup not running on windows 10 v 1903?,
  7. i have created a workgroup on both my computers but cant seem to connect them,
  8. working with workgroups in windows 10 1903,
  9. windows 10 workgroup network problems,
  10. workgroup not working in windows 10,
  11. windows 10 workgroup name important,
  12. windows 10 workgroup not work