Windows 10: Workgroup shares Windows ID versus Local Accounts

Discus and support Workgroup shares Windows ID versus Local Accounts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have so far avoided using Windows ID login (except on a sacrificial VM I use for Windows Insider(*)) as I can no longer access the SMB shares that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by perdrix, Nov 10, 2015.

1. perdrix Win User

Workgroup shares Windows ID versus Local Accounts

I have so far avoided using Windows ID login (except on a sacrificial VM I use for Windows Insider(*)) as I can no longer access the SMB shares that I have set up.

Is there any way for the two to co-exist? I can't get my head round using SMB shares and NTFS permissions with Windows Live ID - is it possible in any way at all, or have MS (as usual) given us a "new spiffy improved thing" which is actually none of the above?

Moi - cynical? You bet!

(*) ASIDE - Why can't I use a local login AND have have access to the Insider programme?

Dave

:)

perdrix, Nov 10, 2015

2. Windows 10 Computer Description Workgroup Not Available

I'm having a weird issue here with Windows 10 Pro Network Sharing

I cannot see my own computer on a network, but I can see other computers on a network

I tried turning ON file and printer sharing, but it always reverts back and turns it off.

Link: win1.PNG

Also the computer description and Workgroup says its not available. I tried to change the description, but it seems like grayed out; I cannot add any description. I tried to change the Workgroup, but it doesn't do anything.

Link: win2.PNG

Link: win3.PNG

I'm logged in as Administrator, Tried rebooting, uninstalled anti Virus, enabled NetBIOS over TCP, changed account from Microsoft login to Local account. It doesn't resolves the issue. I'm not sure what am I missing here.

Sahil Umatia, Nov 10, 2015
  3. Sri2909 Win User
    Windows 10 unable to receive printer connection from linux RHEL 5

Hi Antony,

Thanks for you reply.

Moving forward i don't receive any error code or error message, while sharing the printer and i didn't make any
    software changes. I'm using local account as user profile. What i'm suspecting is the homegroup and workgroup issues. As per your suggestion i'm planning to convert it to Workgroup and check if you
    can share the printer with Linux.

It would be better and easier if you can provide some steps in order to convert windows 10 to workgroup environment.

Thanks and will appreciate.

Sri2909, Nov 10, 2015
  4. Muffy Win User

Home or work network?

I am running Win10 Pro x86, Win7 Pro x64 on desktop and a Win10 Pro x64 laptop all on the same Homegroup Network.
    i disabled the Windows ID (my outlook.com email address) after experiencing issues.

Muffy, Nov 10, 2015
  5. perdrix Win User
    No, not Homegroup (yuk)! Windows Workgroup. Domain server possibly in the offing.

Dave

perdrix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Workgroup shares Windows ID versus Local Accounts - Similar Threads - Workgroup shares versus

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Problem with local account for work versus Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with local account for work versus Microsoft Account: Hello. When lockdown began and I started needing to work from home, I created a separate local account/profile on my laptop. I share my laptop with my husband so wanted a profile to use for work where only I have the password. I did NOT want to use or create a Microsoft...
  6. Network/Workgroup Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  7. VRAM versus Shared Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    VRAM versus Shared Memory: SHORT VERSION 1) 2GB VRAM (enough for minimum requirements) 2) Windows forces page file every reboot 3) GPU uses 'shared memory' 4) Forza Horizon 4 runs like garbage because OS drive pagefile. TELL ME HOW TO DISABLE SHARED MEMORY LEAKING INTO VRAM, OR HOW TO DISABLE WINDOWS...
  8. Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery

Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery: I am trying to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) which is usb connected to a PC which is connected via wireless to my home Netgear router. The other host in my house is connected to the router via RJ45. I have set "sharing" on the target printer as well as the network card...
  9. Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110)

in Windows 10 Support
    Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110): I am trying to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) which is usb connected to a PC which is connected via wireless to my home Netgear router. The other host in my house is connected to the router via RJ45. I have set "sharing" on the target printer as well as the network card...
  10. Share via workgroup between local and MS account on two PCs

Share via workgroup between local and MS account on two PCs: I can't access my laptop which is using a Microsoft account from my Desktop using a local account. Both running Windows 10 Pro X64. I'm using workgroup, not homegroup. I know I've read of people making this work but I'm not having any luck finding those threads now so...