Windows 10: Workgroup works yet doesn't

Discus and support Workgroup works yet doesn't in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 pc's in my LAN Mark= Win7 32 bit Dave= Win10 32 bit HTPC = Win10 64 bit I'm trying to share the files on HTPC and have created a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ErickTreetops, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Workgroup works yet doesn't

I have 3 pc's in my LAN
    Mark= Win7 32 bit
    Dave= Win10 32 bit
    HTPC = Win10 64 bit

I'm trying to share the files on HTPC and have created a workgroup.
    Dave and Mark can share files
    Mark and HTPC can share files

But Dave who can connect to the win7 pc through the workgroup can't connect to HTPC
    Error is
    Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (HTPC). The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarily unavailable. If the device or resource is nearby and you have access to it, make sure it is turned on and connected to the network.

Since the win7 pc can connect to the win10 HTPC why can't the win10 pc?

:)

ErickTreetops, Dec 12, 2015

2. Is Workgroup default on pc?

I only have one computer in my house, i didnt assign a workgroup, but yet my organaization says workgroup? if this isnt default, then what is and how do i change it? should it be home group?

AustinAckerman, Dec 12, 2015
  3. Pfoal Win User
    Change workgroup network password

The problem is that my network is a "workgroup" not a "homegroup". I'm using Windows 10 home which maybe doesn't address workgroups.

Pfoal, Dec 12, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Workgroup works yet doesn't

Have you tried to allow shares through the Command prompt with net use ? You also need to make sure that any Internet Security software is not blocking shares, along with all computers have to have the same Workgroup name, which most people leave as "workgroup". Also if you have disabled any services that relate to Network sharing and IPv6, you need to reverse those.

bro67, Dec 12, 2015
  5. What net use command run on which of the 3 pc's.
    if the win7 pc can connect how could the workgroup by set differently ?

ErickTreetops, Dec 12, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    Read my post again. You have to use the net use command in a Command Window. If the workgroups are not the same name on all computers, they will never see each other.

bro67, Dec 12, 2015
  7. Net use \\htpc\m
    error 53 network path was not found.

However, as the windows 7 pc has no problems connect to this share this is a false statement.

ErickTreetops, Dec 18, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

It does not work that way. Do a search on Microsoft.com for "net use".

bro67, Dec 18, 2015
  9. I used this microsoft site Net use to read up about the "net use" comman before I used it.
    I also used this site http://pcsupport.about.com/od/comman...se-command.htm to get a better understanding of the net use switches.

There are about 13 switches with this command and some can be used in conjunction with each other give ove a hundred possible combination. I'm not a mind reader , you need to be more explicit in what it is that you want me to try.

A simple example would save us both time.

ErickTreetops, Dec 18, 2015
  10. Workgrops ARE the same name.
    I have changed the passwod to make sure both are useing the same password.
    HTPC can see Dave in windows explorer and can see and connect to Dave's shared folder.
    Dave can see HTPC in windows explorer under workgroups but cannot connect.
    Troubleshoot control panel when run on Dave sees no error in workgroup, folder sharing or network diagnostic

ErickTreetops, Dec 19, 2015
  11. nigelmercier, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Workgroup works yet doesn't - Similar Threads - Workgroup works yet

2. Workgroup not working as expected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Workgroup not working as expected: Hi all I am having trouble getting my workgroup to work properly between my pc (ethernet) and laptop (wifi). My PC can see the shared folders from the laptop, but the laptop cannot see the shared folders from the PC. I note that under the network folder my laptop can see...
  3. Workgroups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workgroups: how do I unjoin from a workgroup ? Somehow I am in a workgroup that I never recall joining and it is causing me problems. what can I do to remove my desktop from a workgroup?...
  4. Workgroup

Workgroup: I have Windows 10 version 1903. I have a wifi network with two PCs. PC b shows PC a in File Explorer but is denied access to C or other drives. I have enabled share on the drives in PC a. PC a file explorer does not show PC b. I have enabled share on PC b. How can I...
  5. Workgroup setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Workgroup setup: I have 2 pcs over one network that I want to have some sort of file sharing between them, I can’t seem to set up the workgroup properly are there any sources that can help me out? submitted by /u/Chuuubawca [link] [comments]...
  6. workgroup

workgroup: After 10 updated my homegroup was deleted. I can't get workgroup to connect to hard wired lan. Is there a better way to network and share resources? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/workgroup/a0046796-660b-4a4a-92ae-a8974cf0900b
  7. workgroup

workgroup: How do I setup a workgroup in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/workgroup/549ade62-03ff-435f-b64a-a53c87d620ee
  8. workgroup

workgroup: From a windows 10, Having trouble creating a workgroup with a windows 7. Bill https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/workgroup/5d5266c5-b447-4fe7-8324-104e5328d3d0
  9. Computer doesn't advertise its self on the workgroup after upgrade

Computer doesn't advertise its self on the workgroup after upgrade: Hello, I updated to the creator edition of Win10 (V 1703) and lost my shares. No biggie, I open network and sharing and change advanced sharing settings. Private (Current Profile) Network discovery on File and Printer sharing on Use usernames and passwords to...
  10. workgroup in windows 10 not working

workgroup in windows 10 not working: comrades, I have a workgroup on desktop and laptop both running windows 10 - it was functioning not long ago but recently stopped and i cant figure out why. i've pfoofed round so much trying to get it going again i've probably made it worse *cry I just want to access...