Windows 10: "Working on it..." Message for over 18 hours

Discus and support "Working on it..." Message for over 18 hours in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade through that icon on the toolbar. I don't really understand much else. The first time I clicked on Continue (I am guessing that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kathy2852, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Kathy2852 Win User

"Working on it..." Message for over 18 hours

I am trying to upgrade through that icon on the toolbar. I don't really understand much else. The first time I clicked on Continue (I am guessing that was the download) it took over 8 hours to finish during which time I got the "Working on it..." Message on my desktop. I went to bed, so I can't say exactly how long.

When I clicked the next Continue, it has been worse. I am getting the "working on it..." Message for 18 hours now and counting. There must be something wrong, but I am clueless and not really a tech person. I am trying to upgrade N ASUS laptop running Windows 7. The Microsoft tech support phone number wants something like $79 for one phone call and I can't seem to get anyone on the free Chat. I don't have much faith in them anyway, since my experience with most support has been that they are using a very basic script. What now?

:)

Kathy2852, Sep 1, 2015

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Sep 1, 2015
  3. okinawa---01, Sep 1, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Maybe you should terminate the live online upgrade and consider using the Media Creation Tool:

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

What I strongly recommend, though, is imaging your old installation before proceeding with the upgrade. While most upgrades work as intended, on rare occasions things go badly wrong and you'd have to take the laptop to a professional to get it running again if you don't have a means to restore the operating system yourself. I use Acronis True Image myself (commercial software), but I've read a lot of recommendations for the free version of Macrium Reflect. An external backup drive isn't free, but it's a worthwhile investment.

bobkn, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Kathy2852 Win User
    Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about. It really is beyond me. Thank you, though.

Kathy2852, Sep 1, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    I was trying to be concise without too much techno stuff, but I can only go so far.

Power down the laptop. What happens when you start up again?

(I don't know what to expect.)

bobkn, Sep 1, 2015
  7. Kathy2852 Win User
    I actually called my local repair place. They told me the same thing. They also suggested I wait a few more months before trying again. They are getting a lot of calls. When I rebooted I was right back to Windows 7. My only concern is that when I. Try this in a few months, Windows 10 is already downloaded. How can I get around that?

Kathy2852, Sep 1, 2015
  8. WireEd Win User

The Windows 10 that you downloaded will not change. If anything there might be patches or updates later on if there are problems with windows 10. These would be downloaded to your computer automatically through windows update.

WireEd, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    I have seen a user, who had to wait more than a whole night at that point. He also believed that it had somehow got stuck, but after the night it said that Windows could then be downloaded now.

So: It is annoying that you cannot see, if there is any progress, but it might really help to just wait, also if it's long...

Joergi, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Joergi Win User
    Ahh, and something else: Before you hit the "Upgrade" button, there is one thing you should really, really do:

Make sure that you have a backup of your data!

In like 99% of the cases I would say the upgrade works just fine, but that does not help you, if you belong to that one percent.

Joergi, Sep 1, 2015
  11. bobkn Win User
    That's good news. I was worried that the failed upgrade might leave the machine in a state where it couldn't boot.

I doubt that you need to do anything about the already downloaded files. If you insist on getting rid of them, see:

Prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from installing after making your reservation | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

(In short: run the Disk Cleanup tool, which is in Accessories/System Tools. Choose "clean up system files", and check the box to delete "temporary installation files".)

I'm not sure how much point there is in waiting a few months. There may be a few bugs that'll be squashed by then, but the main problems people seem to be having is with drivers, or the upgrade not installing quite right.

What I'd really wait for is getting a backup device. Best Buy has a 1TB Seagate backup drive on sale now for about $60. That may not be a great choice, but it's an inexpensive one. I believe that it comes with all the software you'd need. There re doubtlessly better deals out there; I got a 3TB drive a few months ago from Costco for around $120. It'd be cheaper now.

bobkn, Sep 1, 2015
  12. RWOne Win User
    I wouldn't recommend upgrading from the icon, use the media creation tool to perform the upgrade when ready:
    Windows 10

RWOne, Sep 1, 2015
  13. Kathy2852 Win User

I had to do the download overnight. For the next step, the Working on it sign was on for over 18 hours. That was also overnight. I really think something was wrong. I also hate to leave the laptop plugged in for that long. Do you think I should try again?

QUOTE=Joergi;375122]I have seen a user, who had to wait more than a whole night at that point. He also believed that it had somehow got stuck, but after the night it said that Windows could then be downloaded now.

So: It is annoying that you cannot see, if there is any progress, but it might really help to just wait, also if it's long...[/QUOTE]

Kathy2852, Sep 2, 2015
  14. Kathy2852 Win User
    What is the difference between backing up files on a flash drive and using a backup device? Also, if I delete the download now, will I be able to download it again later? If it doesn't install now, why would it be any different in a few months? I do want to upgrade.

Kathy2852, Sep 2, 2015
  15. Joergi Win User
    I don't know if trying the same thing again would help. I think it was a philosopher who once said something like: "Doing the same thing twice but expecting different results is craziness." So yeah, maybe when you do it again, you are getting exactly the same result.

Another possibility is to download the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website and to download the installation files with that tool. Here is a tutorial: Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Another thing I thought about is the speed of your internet connection: Is it a really slow one? I'm asking, because for me, I have a connection with a bandwidth of 6 MBit per second. When that connection is unused, it takes me around 1,5 hours to download the installation files. If you now have a slower internet connection or if you e.g. have a few kids, who are watching YouTube videos or if you are streaming stuff with Netflix and so on, then this will dramatically reduce the bandwidth available for download and download will then take much longer.

Joergi, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

1. "Working on it..." Message for over 18 hours - Similar Threads - Working Message hours

2. Is a hold time for over an hour normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is a hold time for over an hour normal?: I'm having a windows activation problem. I had to call in because the troubleshooting tool is useless. I have a legit key. I called in and was told my key is legit and that i needed to be transferred to perform remote login work. I dont know why. I'm perfectly capable of this...
  3. Is a hold time for over an hour normal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is a hold time for over an hour normal?: I'm having a windows activation problem. I had to call in because the troubleshooting tool is useless. I have a legit key. I called in and was told my key is legit and that i needed to be transferred to perform remote login work. I dont know why. I'm perfectly capable of this...
  4. My wifi works for a 18 hours then disappears untill I restart the modem then the same...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My wifi works for a 18 hours then disappears untill I restart the modem then the same...: Each time I connect to the wifi, it stays connect for 18 hours than disappears untill i have to fully restart the modem. I check the Gatway and my computer dose show up while connected and after but once i turn it back on after 18 hours it even disappears of the gateway....
  5. Windows 10 update stuck at 90% for 18 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update stuck at 90% for 18 hours: My wife's computer running windows 10 pro tried to do an update last night. It stopped at 90% and hasn't moved in over 18 hours. Any assistance would be great;y appreciated....
  6. Wifi active for over 15 hours

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi active for over 15 hours: My wifi has been receiving about 300Kbs for over 14 hours. Today when powered up the same is happening now. This seems to be preventing Firefox from visiting sites like: bleeping computer. Edge can visit some commercial sites such as Amazon. Sometimes I can open a link...
  7. Over 24 hours of Wifi Download?

Over 24 hours of Wifi Download?: With the May 2020 update, I am seeing about 300Kb/s of download. This has been going on for over 24 hours. 1. Is this what to expect for the May 2020 update? 2. Would the use of the wifi network block other Internet using software from connectivity? My Firefox cannot reach...
  8. Restore Point Taking Over An Hour?

Restore Point Taking Over An Hour?: I had to do a restore point for my laptop on Windows 10 and it's been doing that for over an hour. Currently, it's stuck on "System Restore is restoring the registry..." How long does this take?...
  9. Updates running for over an hour

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates running for over an hour: I booted my other laptop which I have not used for two months and checked for updates. It immediately started downloading updates and, I assume, installing them. It has been running for over an hour and the h/d light is still blinking steadily, so something is still going on....
  10. Update taking over an hour?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update taking over an hour?: Before I went to bed, I clicked to shut off my side computer (OS: Windows 10), and saw "Update and Shut down" as an option so I clicked that and went to bed. I woke up 8 hours later about 7pm, and I turned on my side computer and saw "Working on updates 0%". It has been over...