Windows 10: Working on SSD, saving on HDD?

Discus and support Working on SSD, saving on HDD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere or if its wording is a bit confusing.. it is my first time posting on here so I'm hoping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by melodica, Mar 6, 2016.

1. melodica Win User

Working on SSD, saving on HDD?

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere or if its wording is a bit confusing.. it is my first time posting on here so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a 2TB HDD which served as my primary (only) drive, until recently when we added a 500GB SSD. The plan was to use the SSD as the primary drive (C: ) and the HDD as the slave drive (D: ). I have reinstalled Photoshop CS6 onto my SSD and I planned to continue saving my files onto the HDD, however it continues to display this message whenever I try:

Working on SSD, saving on HDD? [​IMG]

I've already tried searching on these forums and tried changing ownership as suggested here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html and it seemed to go as they said it would... but I still have the same problem. :S

Am I able to operate programs through C: and then save them on D: ?
    I was just trying to make things simpler for me because I'm already confused having so many 'Picture' and 'Document' folders, it's hard to keep track of what's where. ^^;

:)

melodica, Mar 6, 2016

2. Windows explorer takes up most of CPU

1. the issue started nearly a week ago.

2. i last updated and restarted the computer 5 minutes ago, so windows 10 is current.

3. i made no changes of any sort to the computer (other than using it).

4. the issue is persisting. Explorer is using a minimum of 20-30% CPU and the fan is running continuously.

Working on Apple, Mar 6, 2016
  3. Windows explorer takes up most of CPU

As i noted earlier, my computer is updated and the above build (KB4019472) was successfully installed on 10 May. The problem continues unabated. Windows Explorer is taking up 25-50% of CPU time and the fan is always on even though the computer is doing
    nothing.

Working on Apple, Mar 6, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

You probably still have windows and system files on HDD.

CountMike, Mar 6, 2016
  5. melodica Win User
    Ohh okay..
    Should I go ahead and delete the WINDOWS file on the HDD?

Sorry, very new to all this multi-hard drive thing.

melodica, Mar 6, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Best way would be to erase whole HDD after saving necessary files and to re-partition it, You'll have few partitions on it that you don't have use for any more. To see if BOOT was spread over both disks (that can happen if you don't install windows on BOOT drive while HDD is disconnected) is to disconnect HDD and BOOT from SSD only.
    Can you put up a screen shot of your disk management ?

CountMike, Mar 6, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Or use MiniTool Partition Wizard to shrink the existing large partition, create a new NTFS primary partition, copy all important data to the newly created partition, then use MiniTool Partition Wizard to delete all the other partitions except for the new one and then expand the new one in both directions to fill the hard drive.

Not as complicated as it sounds, and then there is no need to find another external storage location for the data that is desired to be saved. HOWEVER - no matter what the operation being performed is, or what program is being used to perform it, there is always a chance for data loss so it is always a good idea to keep at least 2 separate backups of invaluable data, preferably stored at two different physical locations.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Working on SSD, saving on HDD? - Similar Threads - Working SSD saving

2. Ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd to hdd: I recently purchased a new ssd for my PC but realised the secondary slot doesn't support it gen 4. My current ssd is gen 3 and is supported by the secondary slot. However my OS and things are installed on it. If I installed the new one and moved the old to slot 2, would that...
  3. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  4. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  5. HWID banned on HDD will it work on SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HWID banned on HDD will it work on SSD?: Hey guys, I got HWID banned on my hdd 2 years ago. Today i bought ssd. If the game will be on SSD not the hdd drive will i still get banned ? Thanks for answers !...
  6. OneDrive - working with both SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive - working with both SSD and HDD: Hi! I have recently purchased a new PC... first time with both SDD and HDD, and struggling to find how to set things up properly.....All my documents etc, I've put onto the HDD D:... of course the OneDrive backup only looks at Documents library pointing at the SSD C:. Try as...
  7. Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd: Whenever I save something on my pc, it saves to my ssd but I checked off that I want it to save to my hardrive in settings but whenever it saves to somewhere without asking, it saves to my ssd. please help me....
  8. Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD

Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD: Simple question, really. New build. Here's the issue, there's the boot drive, C, just an SSD. And the actually hard drive I was supposed to use for everything, E. Well without realizing it, everything was getting saved to C. Which is a whopping 120gb. And not to E which is 2...
  9. ssd and hdd

ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715
  10. Windows 10 - Working on SSD, saving on HDD?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - Working on SSD, saving on HDD?: Hi, Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere or if its wording is a bit confusing.. it is my first time posting on here so I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2TB HDD which served as my primary (only) drive, until recently when we added a 500GB SSD. The...