Windows 10: Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500?

Discus and support Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, if you have a Lenovo Thinkpad R500 and your touchpad is working with scroll in the MS apps, could you post which drivers you are using? My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by insomniacno1, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500?

Hi, if you have a Lenovo Thinkpad R500 and your touchpad is working with scroll in the MS apps, could you post which drivers you are using?

My touchpad works with scroll, but not in System, startmenu, Devices, Edge and Store.

Also Precision touchpad is missing alot in Mouse & touchpad.

Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500? [​IMG]

This is how it should look like

Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500? [​IMG]

If yours are showing everything, could you upload your registry files here.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad

:)

insomniacno1, Aug 20, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

disable touchpad - most common way is somewhere in bios settings, disable in 'device manager' is likely 2nd most common way

Two laptops here, Toshiba and a ThinkPad both have Fn+F# keys to disable the touch pad. Toshiba retains the setting after a restart, ThinkPad doesn't.

Toshiba has in the control panel mouse settings for the touchpad, a checkbox to disable touchpad when another mouse is connected.

ThinkPad in same location has a checkbox to disable the touchpad.

'Mike P, Aug 20, 2015
  3. Windows 10 scrolling and touchpad

Hi Harry_915, Windows 10 provides some essential drivers, but for some hardware such as your touchpad, enhanced functionality is normally available from the manufacturers. The latest touch pad drivers for your make and model is for Windows 8.1, but they
    should work with Windows 10 too: Products :: laptops and netbooks :: thinkpad edge laptops :: thinkpad edge e525 :: 1200 :: {} :: downloads :: ds019164 contentdetail Best, Andre Windows Insider MVP MVP-Windows and Devices for IT Andre Da Costa (@adacosta) | Twitter

Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2015
  4. DanTheMan Win User

Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500?

I have a Lenovo R500 with an "Alps Electric UltraNav" touchpad (according to Windows Device Manager, driver date 30-Nov-2009, driver version 7.202.1616.206) running Windows 10 and I can use the touchpad to scroll vertically and horizontally. As you certainly know, scrolling is achieved by moving the finger along the right or lower edge of the pad.

I did not install any driver to enable scrolling on the touchpad. I did a clean install of Windows 7 on the R500 and the Alps driver came with Windows 7 Update as "optional update". After updating to Windows 10, the Alps driver is still there.

That being said, the relevant "Settings" page on my R500 has as little settings as yours. However, I can configure the Ultranav touchpad using the old style "Contol Panel" (section "Mouse Properties" has the well known tab "UltraNav").

Hope that helps.

DanTheMan, Sep 4, 2015
  5. Hi Dan, well as I explained the scroll works everywhere else(even in devicemanager, regedit, Taskmanager, IE, Firefox, Services) than the mentioned places, and I have the same driver as you and the UltraNav in control for mouse.

Please try this: go to settings, to a page where you need to scroll and see if it works there. Also try to scroll in Start>All apps.

Please post you results*Smile

JBJ

insomniacno1, Sep 6, 2015
  6. DanTheMan Win User
    You are right, I observe the same lack of functionality which you reported. Sorry that I could not help you.

DanTheMan, Sep 6, 2015
  7. It's OK*Smile At least now we know that neither of us are crazy - about this anyway*Smile)

If anyone else with ALPS has this problem please write it here, so we can make Microsoft fix it!

JBJ

insomniacno1, Sep 7, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

WhyMe, Sep 7, 2015
  9. DanTheMan Win User
    Thanks. However Synaptics states "Installing a generic driver may result in the loss of OEM-customized Synaptics pointing device functionality." I don't know what that means with regard to my R500 but I'd rather not try. Further, the lack of scrolling functionality is limited to only a few programs. I can cope with that.

DanTheMan, Sep 7, 2015
  10. WhyMe Win User
    @DanTheMan

Those drivers have fixed lots of laptops. If you are concerned you can make a restore point or do a backup first. I've used those exact drivers to fix lots of laptop keyboards not working in Windows 10. Obviously your choice. But with a restore point or backup you have more-or-less got nothing to lose. If they give you full functionality (as they have done many) then it is good, if they change nothing or negatively impact functionality then you switch back.

WhyMe, Sep 7, 2015
  11. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Sep 8, 2015
  12. WhyMe, did you read that this is ALPS touchpad?

You can install synaptics drivers but they will have little to none effect on the touchpad, and the newest driver is not good so people with the synaptics touchpad are advised to use the version before the latest.

I have physically taken the palmrest off and looked at it with magnifying glass and it is ALPS - in fact on my R500 its FRU# 42T3565

Please be advised, not to post advises here for Synaptics!

JBJ

insomniacno1, Sep 8, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

@insomniacno1
    @DanTheMan

Have you two tried to manually install the latest ALPS drivers (14.0.16. 0/7.202. 1616.206) using compatibility mode? If you want to see if it helps, DON'T just click on the setup for automatic install. The driver MUST be installed manually.

Additionally, for the associated ALPS utility software, you can use the compatibility trouble-shooter if it does not work properly.

*Smile
    And finally. Please accept my apologies. When I looked at Lenovo installation document, I read "This package installs the software (ThinkPad UltraNav driver) to enable the following devices:
    - ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device (Synaptics)
    - ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device (Alps)"
    But then I failed to fully read the rest of document, so I missed the important part about ALPS. *Wink *Biggrin

WhyMe, Sep 9, 2015
  14. WhyMe, hi*Smile Yes, I have tried all that and even some other drivers which are newer than mine - without luck*Sad

For me it seems to be a MS problem, but just in case it's not I have here asked if for someone where the driver is working - that's the sole reason for this thread - not to ask for help with the driver installation or setup.

I just want to hear from anyone where the driver actually works and to get hold of that driver, so I can test it on my system*Smile And so that others can do the same*Smile

JBJ

insomniacno1, Sep 11, 2015
  15. DanTheMan Win User
    insomniacno1, this posting not about the touchpad issue but more about general driver situation for the Thinkpad R500.

I installed Windows 7 Pro and the only driver I installed manually was the ATI graphics driver. Then I upgraded to Windows 10. I have not yet installed any other driver. Device manager shows 4 elements with exclamation marks:
    - Base system (2x)
    - Fingerprint sensor
    - PCI Simple Communications Controller
    I can't say whether this is detrimental to my system. I don't miss the fingerprint sensor. Most of the time everything works as expected except for: the integrated SD card reader is slower as an USB connected SD card reader, sometimes the network connection is unavailable after wake up from hibernation, H.264 playback in Full HD is flaky.

Can you share your experience, please?

For example, I read in a computer magazine that one should always install the Intel chipset drivers, i.e.,

Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

Did you install any other dedicated driver for your R500 running Windows 10?

Thanks!

DanTheMan, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Working Touchpad drivers for Thinkpad R500? - Similar Threads - Working Touchpad drivers

2. Need to Find the ELAN TouchPad Driver that works with a 2017 era Lenovo P51 ThinkPad / Win...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Find the ELAN TouchPad Driver that works with a 2017 era Lenovo P51 ThinkPad / Win...: After many frustrating hours of trouble shooting / searching over the holidays, thought I’d reach out to the Windows 10 Brain Trust for some help. HISTORYYears in the IT world, used multiple models of IBM, now Lenovo ThinkPad’s since the ‘90’s.Always keep hardware & software...
  3. Need to Find the ELAN TouchPad Driver that works with a 2017 era Lenovo P51 ThinkPad / Win...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to Find the ELAN TouchPad Driver that works with a 2017 era Lenovo P51 ThinkPad / Win...: After many frustrating hours of trouble shooting / searching over the holidays, thought I’d reach out to the Windows 10 Brain Trust for some help. HISTORYYears in the IT world, used multiple models of IBM, now Lenovo ThinkPad’s since the ‘90’s.Always keep hardware & software...
  4. Need to Find the ELAN TouchPad Driver that works with a 2017 era Lenovo P51 ThinkPad / Win...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Touchpad driver not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad driver not working: Well last night I was using an program called driver booster and I was updating my drivers and all of a sudden my Touchpad no longer works I've searched my settings and there is no touchpad driver anywhere in my settings so I think I need to reinstall the mouse/touchpad...
  6. Touchpad driver not working

Touchpad driver not working: My touchpad has stopped working and I tried every solution that I found including: updating the synaptic driver deleting synaptic and reinstalling it reinstalling the whole windows but the issue is still there. What's more is that when I update the touchpad driver some...
  7. Synaptics touchpad driver not working

Synaptics touchpad driver not working: Hi all, I need help I'm not very good with computers but I can follow instructions very well if anyone can help me. My Touchpad stopped working. I've tried everything that I had Googled... I have an HP Laptop 15-bs1xx I tried to update the drivers in the device manager...
  8. TOUCHPAD ON LENOVO THINKPAD

TOUCHPAD ON LENOVO THINKPAD: Updated drivers but still cant get touchpad to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-on-lenovo-thinkpad/e713eb98-38b9-4f08-9c3d-74f361e10b0f
  9. Thinkpad's TouchPad buttons not working

Thinkpad's TouchPad buttons not working: My Thinkpad's TouchPad stopped working, that is, the buttons on top and bottom not working nor is the double fingertap to get a left click. The options to set up the buttons do not appear under settings - so it is as if it is not being recognized. Downloaded latest drives...
  10. Audio and Touchpad Drivers not working

Audio and Touchpad Drivers not working: My audio and touchpad drivers are not working properly after upgrading my windows 10 v1803 to windows 10 v1903. i can't disable my touchpad and my laptop won't read my earphone....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. r500 touchpad

2. toahiba r500 win7 touchpad

3. lenovo trackpad driver

4. Thinkpad R500 touchpad,
  5. Touchpad not working Lenovo R500 2718 German