Windows 10: Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

Discus and support Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For instance, if I highlight a word in a text-entry field, it's a very bright blue. This is also true in Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, OneNote, various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by vkaryl, Nov 7, 2015.

1. vkaryl Win User

Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

For instance, if I highlight a word in a text-entry field, it's a very bright blue. This is also true in Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, OneNote, various fora, etc. but not in Excel.

Prior to installing Windows 10, the highlight in a text-entry field was either pale grey (on dark backgrounds) or darker grey (on light backgrounds), which is what I'd like to have back.

Any ideas?

:)

vkaryl, Nov 7, 2015

2. Changing Text Color

I am using the Paint software that came with my WIndows 10 os. I am not able to change the color of the text I put on a picture. It is on a dark background, so I would like like to make the text white. How can I do this?

I have tried all of the regular steps, highlighting the text and selecting white from both the text palate and the text color shortcuts, "color 1 and color 2" that appear in the tools section. Neither works.

Please help.

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

LStevens787, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Lost text display

Transcriber certainly didn't make the change. I wonder if the text color was inadvertantly changed to match the background color .... highlighting an area you know has text might reveal that.

I agree that you should uninstall CE-Star. It most likely is the cause...

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Nov 7, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Are you talking about doing this, but with gray and not red?

Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields [​IMG]

• Open up Notepad
    • copy the registry settings in the code box(left click 3 times slowly)
    • Paste into NotePad
    • You will need to find the RGB values(if the ones I have supplied are not what you want) for the color you want, and change them.
    • Create a registry file by saving(to Desktop or Documents) as TextColor.reg
    • Double click the reg file.
    • Sign out, sign in and your finished.
    • To change the values just right click the file and choose edit, make the changes, save, close and see point #6

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors] "Hilight"="192 192 192" "MenuHilight"="192 192 192"[/quote] Light Gray RGB=192 192 192
    Darker Gray RGB= 105 105 105

Here is the reg file in case you have problems doing it yourself, using light gray: GrayHighlights.zip

Just download. Right click open Properties. Check unblock. Click OK. Extract(unzip) to where ever you want. Double click the Icon. Sign out and back in. Highlight something *Biggrin

Cliff S, Nov 7, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Note: I forgot to mention the above will only work "stick" for the current theme you're on. If you change themes(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization) you need to reapply it.

You can also save the theme in case you want to go back and not have to reapply every time you go back.

Cliff S, Nov 7, 2015
  6. vkaryl Win User
    Perfect! Thanks so much, I really appreciate the info, AND the file! I'm not a "theme changer" - I have one I love and it just stays there forever.

Have a GREAT day!

vkaryl, Nov 7, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Nov 7, 2015
  8. JimmyH Win User

It worked for some highlighting, but not all, so you know of a way to apply it to all?
    I can't stand the default neon blue... :c

JimmyH, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Hello Jimmy, welcome to Ten Forums.
    Could you explain more, or better yet, post a screen shot of where it's not working? It could be, because the color is "hard coded" in some apps & programs, that don't follow the system theme. But a screenshot might help more.

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  10. JimmyH Win User
    Halfway through writing a response, I saw your signature and decided to try it out. Found what I was looking for and changed it.

Thanks for the semi-indirect help, haha.

JimmyH, Mar 5, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You downloaded SMACC? It's a great tool! I use it for all my AeroHybrid themes.

Cliff S, Mar 5, 2016
  12. JimmyH Win User
    Yeah, apparently I was looking for "hot tracking color".
    I haven't messed around with anything else yet, but knowing how picky I am with my computer settings, I'll probably check it out soon.

JimmyH, Mar 5, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields - Similar Threads - change text highlight

2. Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself: I am in Dark Mode. Windows 11. I want to make the Selected Text Highlighter black again. Like older versions of Windows. I am not talking about changing the color of the text itself. I am not talking about changing the color of the curser. I am talking about changing the...
  3. Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself: I am in Dark Mode. Windows 11. I want to make the Selected Text Highlighter black again. Like older versions of Windows. I am not talking about changing the color of the text itself. I am not talking about changing the color of the curser. I am talking about changing the...
  4. highlighting text

in Windows 10 Customization
    highlighting text: i cannot highlight text. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/highlighting-text/4fb85490-8e25-4846-9b6e-63123bc04d65
  5. Highlighting text

Highlighting text: I want to highlight some text in an existing email so that I can copy it and reuse it. But the cursor has changed to a hand symbol - not the usual arrow - and it won't let me highlight. How can I restore it to the normal configuration?...
  6. Summon a Text Field?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Summon a Text Field?: Sometimes, it is useful to create a text file, open it, write something, and copy it - so that you can save the text into clipboard. Is there any way to create a "text field" without creating a new text file? submitted by /u/Des0 [link] [comments]...
  7. Right click text highlight menu color

Right click text highlight menu color: Hi, With the new windows update, The highlighted box color is grey as you can see in the example below when I hover over "Refresh". Is there a way to change that to blue ? I dont want to change the theme . [ATTACH] Thank you...
  8. Text changing color

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text changing color: [ATTACH] Does anyone know how to fix this? I got my Windows 10 laptop on Christmas and this issue started happening shortly after, where the text randomly turns green, purple, or pink. It stopped happening and recently started again. I've not messed with the graphics...
  9. How to have text entry fields in a pdf

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to have text entry fields in a pdf: win 10 need capabilities of acrobat or adobe reader but cannot install acrobat in 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-have-text-entry-fields-in-a-pdf/0d769a44-b40c-4700-a5c5-1b89e34f11a4
  10. Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 When you highlight text in classic Win32 system windows and dialogs in Windows 10, the text color will be white by default. This tutorial will show you how to...