Windows 10: Would like to know how many folders and files within in external drive

Discus and support Would like to know how many folders and files within in external drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a program (WinDirStat) that tells me all the information I want in local drives only. I'm looking for a program (or method) to determine how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, May 30, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Would like to know how many folders and files within in external drive

I have a program (WinDirStat) that tells me all the information I want in local drives only. I'm looking for a program (or method) to determine how many folder and the number of files in each folder for an external drive. Specifically, I need to know this information for my LG G4 smartphone. Can anyone help?

:)

Nisko, May 30, 2017

2. I would like to know how I can copy a hard drive onto another hard drive on my computer with all programs and files without losing any information in the process.

Cloning is okay I prefer system images though personally

One reason is using Free Macrium reflect it prompts you to create a WinPE recovery cd or flash drive media that also has start up repair in it if a system image is created .

You can also mount that system image and access it as a regular folder to copy and paste a single file if one ever needs too.

Not to mention boot to the recovery media and restore a system image to another hard drive or solid state drive.

ThrashZone, May 30, 2017
  3. I would like to know how I can copy a hard drive onto another hard drive on my computer with all programs and files without losing any information in the process.

The information helped. Thank you

DaveSigsworth@oh.rr.com, May 30, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

A smartphone is not an external drive.

NavyLCDR, May 30, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    I know. However, it has folders and files within those folders. I can move files around to other folders using my PC. I just plug in the phone to a USB port and the folders (and files) are available to me.

Nisko, May 30, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    After plugging in the external device to your computer, go to that main folder that has all those files & folders. Highlight all of them, right click > Properties
    At the top of the new window that pops up, it should say the total number of files and the total number of folders there are.

If there aren't so many folders, you can use this method for each folder. If you have many folders, please state so in your next reply and I'll help you look for an app that can do that for you Would like to know how many folders and files within in external drive :)

pepanee, May 31, 2017
  7. Nisko Win User
    Yes, in another application I am working on, I have many, many folders with many files within each folder (photos & tunes). I could use an app. I use WinDirStat but it only works with local drives. Thanks for your help.

Nisko, May 31, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

pepanee, May 31, 2017
  9. Nisko Win User
    Tanks again for the help. I'll start looking at your suggested sites tomorrow.

Nisko, Jun 1, 2017
  10. You have 2 different issues

1. Use TreeSizeFree to scan network drives. Unlike windirstat, TreeSize will report on files/folders regardless of windows permissions (eg WinDirStat won't report any info about System Volume Information folder unless you change its permissions - as, by default, you don't have permissions to the Sys Volume folder). I find TreeSize VERY useful (better then WinDirStat). I use the full function paid version ($25USD IMHO worth it)

2. To mount as a drive letter: Best free solution is WebDAV server android app. Though you only get a single drive letter and need manually switch between phone and SD card on WebDav settings. I found a guide for you HERE

/* EDIT */
    Also..... WebDav doesn't require root access is a plus as i think other solutions i saw do require root

ComputerGeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Would like to know how many folders and files within in external drive - Similar Threads - many folders files

2. Two unrelated BSODs within days of eachother, would like to know if machine is failing and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two unrelated BSODs within days of eachother, would like to know if machine is failing and...: Hi, I have a 4 yro acer nitro 5 gaming laptop running windows 10 and while I've had a virtually BSOD-less experience for the past few years, I recieved two seperate and unrelated crashes within 3 days of eachother and it's got me concerned for the health of my machine. Using...
  3. Two unrelated BSODs within days of eachother, would like to know if machine is failing and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two unrelated BSODs within days of eachother, would like to know if machine is failing and...: Hi, I have a 4 yro acer nitro 5 gaming laptop running windows 10 and while I've had a virtually BSOD-less experience for the past few years, I recieved two seperate and unrelated crashes within 3 days of eachother and it's got me concerned for the health of my machine. Using...
  4. Two unrelated BSODs within days of eachother, would like to know if machine is failing and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. would like to know if it is normal !!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    would like to know if it is normal !!!!: Hello,I always have the sstp windows service running and 7 wan miniports underneath my intel i219-v connection in device manager.I don't know if it is normal but i would like to know it.Kind regards,Arno,...
  6. would like to know if it is normal !!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    would like to know if it is normal !!!!: Hello,I always have the sstp windows service running and 7 wan miniports underneath my intel i219-v connection in device manager.I don't know if it is normal but i would like to know it.Kind regards,Arno,...
  7. I would like to know how to change the home folder name on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I would like to know how to change the home folder name on Windows 10: Hello, I am the worship chair at my church. Eight years ago a member of the church who was running the sound/computer person for the service donated a Windows 8 computer for use with the service. Several years ago this person was arrested for doing something terrible, and...
  8. Would like to know 2 things

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Would like to know 2 things: 1. What is actually taking place when I get the message "Updating Component Registration"? I have an app for MS Flight Simulator X that installed just fine under Win 7. In Win 10, it hangs at the above message and never progresses. 2. Also with FSX, the installation of the...
  9. How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive: So, I had a 9yo Toshiba laptop, the screen stopped working a couple years ago, long story short gave up and got a new one, and backed up the old one onto an external hard drive. I've now got said hard drive plugged in to the new laptop, and I was hoping I'd be able to just...
  10. I would like to know how many users are trying out the new Azure after the updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to know how many users are trying out the new Azure after the updates: Mainly wondering if I'm as bad as I think to try to figure this stuff out Been up in the clouds all week trying to game and other things mainly just trying to find something that I would like to try or do really thought I was going to get into gaming but I only have one...