Windows 10: Would this macrium restore experiment work??

Discus and support Would this macrium restore experiment work?? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a macrium restore image on an external backup drive. Can I configure my pc to use this external drive as a boot up drive to verify that it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Feb 25, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

Would this macrium restore experiment work??

I have a macrium restore image on an external backup drive.

Can I configure my pc to use this external drive as a boot up drive to verify that it is in fact a clone of the original drive??

:)

provlima, Feb 25, 2018
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 25, 2018
  3. windows backup to usb

In addition to the advice, I would like to let you know that Windows backup features are deprecated and are planned to remove in future versions of Windows. I would suggest you to switch to Macrium Reflect:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backu...

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 25, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Short answer - no.
    It's a bit like taking a zip file of your OS (and related partitions assuming you'd imaged Windows partitions - if it were possible to make such a zip- which it isn't) and sticking that zip file onto a bootable disk and somehow hoping you could boot into Windows.

The image file is (normally - forensic imaging aside) a compressed copy of the used parts of the partitions and/or disks selected.

You would have to restore the image to a drive to make use of it.

dalchina, Feb 25, 2018
  5. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your reply...what I meant was using the macrium restore function to create a mirror image on another hdd and than attempting to boot from the cloned drive.
    I am trying to verify that the cloned file would in fact be an en exact clone of the original drive it was copied from. Hope this makes sense....

provlima, Feb 25, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    That should be fine- if you really wanted to go that far. Naturally you'd have to arrange to have only 1 bootable drive in your PC at a time.

Was your image actually a clone of a disk, or an image of (all of) the Windows partitions? (Windows is comprised of 4 partitions typically for a UEFI installation).

Are you aware of the ability to verify images when they are created?

dalchina, Feb 25, 2018
  7. provlima Win User
    Thank you for your response...no I am not familiar on how to verify images when they are created. How is it done?

Was your image actually a clone of a disk, or an image of (all of) the Windows partitions? (Windows is comprised of 4 partitions typically for a UEFI installation).

Are you aware of the ability to verify images when they are created?[/QUOTE]

provlima, Feb 25, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Would this macrium restore experiment work?? [​IMG]

Bottom right option.

Macrium has an extensive help file.

dalchina, Feb 25, 2018
  9. Hi,
    Only 2 ways to make sure an image will work
    Use verify image after creating it or anytime after it's created.
    2nd is to actually restore the system image to another ssd or hdd and see for yourself *Smile

ThrashZone, Feb 25, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    You can actually if you have PRO, opening image with Viboot as a Hyper-V VM.

Another good and perhaps better test is to restore image to a virtual hard drive (or a separate hard drive).

cereberus, Feb 25, 2018
  11. RolandJS Win User
    I may dumb as a post speed-reading this; are we, starting with the OP, using the words "clone" and "image" interchangeably? I thought the OP opened up with the word clone -- asked about booting an external HD, which by implication, is the OP's target clone HD, which indeed can be set to boot within said computer's BIOS menu. Or, did I read the opening wrong?
    Addendum: I just now remembered this is Windows 10 forum, not Windows 7 forum! The above will be rather difficult to do within the UEFI.

RolandJS, Feb 26, 2018
  12. provlima Win User
    Thanks for chiming in Roland...so are you saying that I can set my PC to boot up from the external backup drive with the clone image and it would boot up like the original drive I cloned from? Or would there be an intermediate step invoving the restoring the cloned image

provlima, Feb 26, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

If you have a drive which is a clone - an exact copy- of another- then you should be able to use them interchangeably.

That's what a clone is. An exact copy.

You can clone a disk with MR.
    Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    You can create disk images with MR
    http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v...user_guide.pdf
    - you can read about disk cloning and disk imaging - links on the left hand side.
    The two are very very different.
    Your first post referred to a disk image.

dalchina, Feb 26, 2018
  14. cereberus Win User
    In simple terms, a clone is a faithfull copy of an existing drive to a new drive.

A system image is a compressed file containting details of drive that has been imaged. The primary purpose of an image is to restore original drive to state at time image was taken. However, you can restore the image to another drive which is basically like cloning but with intermediate steps.

An image is good for backups and is just a file so you can store other files on drive with backup image. You can have multiple backups at different stages.

Cloning wipes everything on target drive.

Cloning is really used when you want to replace one drive with another eg an ssd for an hdd. It is not best suited for backups.

cereberus, Feb 26, 2018
  15. RolandJS Win User
    "...t is not best suited for backups..." +1! In my experience, full images of my OS and Data partitions, including System Reserved partition, saved routinely onto external media, rather than clones being made, works better for me when a restore is in order. I've had to restore OS several times, and in doing so, the Data partition remains undisturbed.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Would this macrium restore experiment work?? - Similar Threads - macrium restore experiment

2. Problems With Macrium Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problems With Macrium Restore: I have used Macrium for quite a while and been very pleased. However, lately I cannot run a restore successfully. I can backup my drive just fine. But when I try to run a restore, the error Oc000000F comes up instead. This is following the install of the latest Windows...
  3. Problems With Macrium Restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems With Macrium Restore: I have used Macrium for quite a while and been very pleased. However, lately I cannot run a restore successfully. I can backup my drive just fine. But when I try to run a restore, the error Oc000000F comes up instead. This is following the install of the latest Windows...
  4. Macrium: trial restore?

Macrium: trial restore?: So far I've never had to restore an image and I'm not brave enough to wipe my OS as an experiment. But I have plenty of disk capacity, either on my internal 4 TB D or one of my external USB drives. So as a second-best is it possible to restore my OS disk C image (135 GB) to...
  5. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  6. Experiences with Macrium Image Guardian (MIG)

Experiences with Macrium Image Guardian (MIG): Paid versions of Macrium Reflect now have Macrium Image Guardian that only allows images to be modified by Macrium Reflect itself, preventing malware attacks. I have tested it a bit and have some comments other might find useful. 1) It protects all images including ones...
  7. Macrium Reflect Restore Error

Macrium Reflect Restore Error: When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to move the image file to a...
  8. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  9. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524