Windows 10: Wow - time goes by!!

Discus and support Wow - time goes by!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have today upgraded 2 'older' laptops from 1607 to 1703. I did this using the Microsoft upgrade assistant. The 2 machines are slow - so expected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Skofab, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Wow - time goes by!!

Have today upgraded 2 'older' laptops from 1607 to 1703. I did this using the Microsoft upgrade assistant.

The 2 machines are slow - so expected this to take some time. In the end this took 5 and a half hours each.Is this normal?
    Surely if this was a clean install using a CD/DVD, this would take hour+ max. Why is it that everything windows 10 re updates and upgrades are so slow. Is there any future prospect that this may improve?

I have heard of people experiencing even longer upgrade time periods. I'm sure others will respond with some amazing time experiences

:)

Skofab, Jul 15, 2017
  2. MOETX14 Win User

Updated some files.. now stuck in airplane mode (cannot find cellular network AT&T)

Wow this will be my fourth attempt at sending a message because each time my phone, nokia Lumia 635 freezes, goes into airplane mode then restarts.

MOETX14, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Recovery after a virus infection on a upgraded Windows 10 machine.

Wow! Thank you so much - It looks like this is going to be much easier than I thought it was going to be! I'll let you know how it goes Wow - time goes by!! :) I really appriciate your time!

Mia_Koenig, Jul 15, 2017
  4. CmmTch Win User

Wow - time goes by!!

I've seen around 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours (including download of 18 to 20 minutes)

5 hours seems to be an extreme to me, but it is what it is, especially on older hardware.

The laptop I'm still waiting on WU for 1703 is a Latitude E6400. My wife and I both have Dell Latitude E6420's and both of those are on 1703 and took a couple hours each. The same with my desktop, all through WU.

CmmTch, Jul 15, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    My test PC (System Two in my specs below) is hardly a top end machine. The upgrade from 1607 to 1703 takes a little over an hour on that, but that's the time it takes when I use an install USB I made earlier with the Media Creation Tool.

What's your broadband speed? By using the upgrade assistant, each machine would first have to download the 1703 upgrade before it could begin the install. Now the download is about 4GB, so could easily account for much of your five and a half hours.

Let's be pessimistic and assume an install time of 1.5 hours, that leave 4 hours for download time. That would be consistent with a broadband speed of around 2.2Mbps. That's slow (mine's 15Mbps) but not unheard of, particularly in rural areas.

I prefer not to use the upgrade assistant, but to make an ISO of USB with the Media Creation Tool - that way you only need the one download, then install on as many PCs as you want.

6. Mooly Win User
    My experience of clean installing on my 10 (make that nearly 11) yr old Acer laptop is that it takes around 10 hours, all due to a buggy Wi-Fi driver. I've since discovered I can cut that down to an hour or so by hitting (to turn off) the Wi-Fi at the appropriate point in the installation. I then have to replace the driver......

Once I have replaced the driver the laptop runs amazingly well and is now running CU edition brilliantly.

Mooly, Jul 15, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Clean installs are always much quicker than upgrades, as an upgrade has to analyse your pc in detail, and copy a lot of stuff to windows.old folder (can be many tens of GB) which can take a long time on an HDD.

You can easily be handling 10x as much data in an upgrade.

Actually, I would like to see an option to upgrade without creating windows.old, recognising that you cannot revert if things go wrong - you would have to double confirm such action.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Wow - time goes by!!

1. Wow - time goes by!! - Similar Threads - Wow goes

2. Wow, lol this is funny the windows keyword feature suggested this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wow, lol this is funny the windows keyword feature suggested this: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/wtrwr0sv4irc1.png?width=284&format=png&auto=webp&s=716e4ab624f31f6ac768d5fdbb7162ac3fa69d80 submitted by /u/vedforeal [link] [comments]...
  3. Generative Erase - WOW!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Generative Erase - WOW!: Generative Erase has to be one of THE coolest things on the planet Easy to use and works VERY well... Terrific, really impressive results Read all about it HERE.NB: Make sure you have updated Photos from Store for the very latest version that has Erase in itCheers,Drew...
  4. Generative Erase - WOW!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Generative Erase - WOW!: Generative Erase has to be one of THE coolest things on the planet Easy to use and works VERY well... Terrific, really impressive results Read all about it HERE.NB: Make sure you have updated Photos from Store for the very latest version that has Erase in itCheers,Drew...
  5. WOW!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WOW!: Did you know that if you go toC:\WindowsThen go tothe cursors folder then you see an svg file of that cursor?Heres an example.Pretty cool huh? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wow/0c7f8c10-0f0e-4841-9e03-939e998c745a
  6. WOW!

WOW!: Did you know that if you go toC:\WindowsThen go tothe cursors folder then you see an svg file of that cursor?Heres an example.Pretty cool huh? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wow/0c7f8c10-0f0e-4841-9e03-939e998c745a
  7. How to enable Text-to-Speech in WoW

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Text-to-Speech in WoW: [IMG]This post will show you how to enable Text-to-Speech in World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is an online multiplayer role-playing game set in the fictional world of Azeroth. The game offers unique features, including Text-to-Speech, which converts in-game text to spoken...
  8. WoW Error 132 Fatal Exception, Memory could not read

in Windows 10 News
    WoW Error 132 Fatal Exception, Memory could not read: [IMG]If the WoW Error 132 Fatal Exception, Memory could not read error keeps troubling you, then this post may help you. Recently, some users have been complaining about Error 132 Fatal Exception, Memory could not read while playing the game. The complete error message reads:...
  9. My computer randomly freezes while gaming on WoW and goes to desktop for 3-4 seconds then...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer randomly freezes while gaming on WoW and goes to desktop for 3-4 seconds then...: My game kept freezing and then I checked event viewer and it says Windows Error Reporting event id 1001.Fault bucket , type 0Event Name: LiveKernelEventResponse: Not availableCab Id: 0Problem signature:P1: 141P2: ffffd687833fc050P3: fffff807838382e4P4: 0P5: 4574P6:...
  10. My computer randomly freezes while gaming on WoW and goes to desktop for 3-4 seconds then...

My computer randomly freezes while gaming on WoW and goes to desktop for 3-4 seconds then...: My game kept freezing and then I checked event viewer and it says Windows Error Reporting event id 1001.Fault bucket , type 0Event Name: LiveKernelEventResponse: Not availableCab Id: 0Problem signature:P1: 141P2: ffffd687833fc050P3: fffff807838382e4P4: 0P5: 4574P6:...