Windows 10: Write but not modify on shared folder, possible?

Discus and support Write but not modify on shared folder, possible? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want a program to access a shared network path and being able to write new files, bot not modify old ones. The only options I see are to fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ima, Mar 31, 2017.

1. IMA
    Ima Win User

Write but not modify on shared folder, possible?

I want a program to access a shared network path and being able to write new files, bot not modify old ones. The only options I see are to fully write/modify or only read. I want permission to write and read, but not modify. Am I missing somehing or is it not possible?

:)

2. Network Permissions on Windows 10

AndrewConlyn, I may have stumbled across a possibly simple fix for folder sharing. In the folder's Properties | Sharing | Share With, the 'Everyone' account was missing. Adding it to each folder I am
    sharing brought them back to life.
    When you Add Everyone, you have a choice of Read or Read/Write permissions. The latter gives Modify + Delete permissions.

This article helped: How to set up file sharing on Windows 10

WinUser2(2), Mar 31, 2017
  3. Network folder access since upgrading to Windows 10

VanGinger1, I may have found the problem.

I know this thread is old, but I may have stumbled across a possibly simple fix for folder sharing. In the folder's Properties | Sharing | Share With, the 'Everyone' account was missing. adding it to each
    folder I am sharing brought them back to life.

When you Add Everyone, you have a choice of Read or Read/Write permissions. The latter gives Modify + Delete permissions.

This article helped: How to set up file sharing on Windows 10

WinUser2(2), Mar 31, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. You are looking at share permission you need to look at the NTFS permissions that effects it once they connect and has a lot more permissions

Samuria, Mar 31, 2017
  5. IMA
    Ima Win User
    Thank you.

While giving security permissions theres the filed "Enter object names to select". I guss that object can't be a certain program's file path.

6. Pyprohly Win User
    Almost anything can be done with NTFS permissions.

From what I can infer, Ima, you want to make it so that a user is allowed to add content to a folder but not be able to edit or delete(?) the items once they’ve been placed.

This is what you’re aiming for, on the containing folder:
    Code: C:\>icacls MyFolder MyFolder BUILTIN\AdministratorsWrite but not modify on shared folder, possible? :(OI)(CI)(F) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMWrite but not modify on shared folder, possible? :(OI)(CI)(F) BUILTIN\UsersWrite but not modify on shared folder, possible? :(OI)(CI)(RX,WD,AD) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\>[/quote]
    Make sure your share permissions are “Everyone, Full” as you control access using NTFS permissions.

Pyprohly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Write but not modify on shared folder, possible? - Similar Threads - Write modify shared

2. Is it possible to make folder icons stay while folder sharing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to make folder icons stay while folder sharing?: I have this very large folderfilled with smaller folders. To make it eaiser to manage I gave icons to each of the folders. The problem is, once shared with someonethrough google drive or etc the file will not have that icon. Looking into it, the "desktop.ini" file has the...
  3. Is it possible to make folder icons stay while folder sharing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to make folder icons stay while folder sharing?: I have this very large folderfilled with smaller folders. To make it eaiser to manage I gave icons to each of the folders. The problem is, once shared with someonethrough google drive or etc the file will not have that icon. Looking into it, the "desktop.ini" file has the...
  4. Is it possible to make folder icons stay while folder sharing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It is possible to prevent a single application writing data to a specific folder?: I have an application that writes temp files in %appdata%/Local/Temp. I wanted to know if there is a way, either using Windows 10 or a third-part solution, to prevent that application from doing it. The easiest way would be disabling writing on the entire Temp folder, but I...
  6. Sharing folders with write access

Sharing folders with write access: I have a need to share some folders/directories with write access on a small office network. I can't figure out how to do this now. What's needed: Some machines have write access to some folders, everything has read-access to everything shared we don't need or desire...
  7. Modify folder ..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify folder ..?: Hi All Is there a way to get rid of folder infos ..? [img] Thanks 139798
  8. Cannot write to a shared parent folder

Cannot write to a shared parent folder: I have a sharing problem that appeared after I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1903. Prior to the upgrade, I had a shared folder to which I could write (drag and drop using Windows Explorer) from another computer. After the upgrade, if I drag and drop a file to the shared...
  9. Possible to prevent system/program from changing/modifying folder/file

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to prevent system/program from changing/modifying folder/file: Is there a possibility of like for example stopping a program or system from changing a file or folder, not too harshly, just enough to make the system or program ignore it. Like for example update folders. If i changed the permissions in a way (yes I am admin of PC too), can...
  10. Can read but not write on shared folder

Can read but not write on shared folder: Hello, I have a network of computers in my office running on windows 7 and one main computer running on windows 10. I have a folder shared on my windows 10 pc and i can access this folder on all computers on my network. I can read but not write on this shared folder on my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. who to write an email to shared folder