Windows 10: Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

Discus and support Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Linux server with file shares on my local network. My problem is with writing data to those shares from my Windows 10 Home PC. The problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by herbert305, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

I have a Linux server with file shares on my local network. My problem is with writing data to those shares from my Windows 10 Home PC. The problem manifests with data writes that are exceedingly slow (not greater than 300 kB/sec) and generally time out before they complete. The problem is aggravated with larger file sizes. I also notice that the Linux server does not show up when browsing the network on the Windows 10 PC, but it does show up when browsing the network from the Windows 7 PCs.

I have done extensive troubleshooting of the problem and found that this problem is specific to the one Windows 10 PC that I have. All other PCs (running Windows 7) work just fine. I have tested the Windows 7 PCs on the same network port where my Windows 10 PC is located. I even went so far as to purchase a new NIC for the Windows 10 PC, but the behavior has not changed.

The one odd aspect to the problem is that I can make it go away by changing the Windows 10 PC's work group name to something other than usual value (WORKGROUP), changing the work group name back to WORKGROUP, and rebooting the PC. This action causes the shares to behave correctly (reads and writes are generally done at 10 MB/sec or better) until I reboot the PC again, at which time the aberrant behavior resurfaces.

Here are some further details concerning the configuration:

• Windows version is 10.0.10586
    • The LMHOSTS file on the windows PC has an entry for the Linux server.
    • The Linux server is running CentOS 7.2.1511
    • The kernel version is 3.10.0-327.4.4
    • The version of Samba is 4.2.3-11
    • The smb.conf file on the Linux server is as follows:

Code: [global] workgroup = WORKGROUP server string = Samba Server netbios name = SERVER1 load printers = no disable spoolss = yes log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m max log size = 50 preferred master = yes local master = yes domain master = yes os level = 65 security = user dns proxy = no wins support = yes unix extensions = no map to guest = Bad User getwd cache = yes kernel oplocks = yes socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE [homes] comment = Home Directories path = /WinHomes/%u read only = No create mask = 0770 directory mask = 0770 inherit permissions = Yes inherit owner = Yes browsable = yes [Family] path = /WinHomes/Family valid users = User1, User2 admin users = User1, User2 write list = User1, User2 force group = Family read only = No acl group control = Yes create mask = 0770 directory mask = 0770 browsable = yes [ER_Share] path = /WinHomes/U_share valid users = User1, User2 valid users = User1, User2 admin users = User1, User2 write list = User1, User2 force group = Users read only = No acl group control = Yes create mask = 0770 directory mask = 0770 browsable = yes[/quote]

:)

herbert305, Jan 22, 2016

2. SMB writes to remote computer freezes or dropps to 5kbs after creator update

After installing Windows [Version 10.0.15063] my access to NAS (RaspberryPI with USB disks connected) is nearly impossible.

Coping even few megabytes to the NAS takes a long time (minutes) and often does not finish - no errors on the Samba end , just connection from Windows goes dead. Speed seems to be around 5KB/s.

Same network and same NAS with my laptop :
    Windows [Version 10.0.14393] and all is working fine - 20+ MB/s - which is what I can expect from this setup and is enough for documents and source code backups.

Reading from the NAS Samba share is fast.

Reading from the laptops' share is fast.

Writing to laptops' share is 5KB/s slow as well. Laptop is sharing folder using the normal Windows SMB. All Microsoft.

Writing to NAS share , SAMBA , is slow.

Looks like any writes I do from the Creator Update computer are slow. Very Slow.

Has anybody got similar problem or solutions to a very slow , unreliable connection to SMB/Samba after the creators update?

PawelWarnenski, Jan 22, 2016
  3. Pin to Quick Access on a Mapped Network Drive

It seems to be a problem with the samba protocol, the problem is only on a NAS running linux. A large majority of NAS are using samba protocol for file sharing, that's a big problem...

boustalahit, Jan 22, 2016
  4. Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

Disabling "Large Send Offload (LSO)" as suggested at Slow network throughput on windows 10 seems to have worked for me; at least for now. I've thought this problem was licked before, only to find out after a reboot that it came right back. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this fix stays permanent.

herbert305, Feb 20, 2016
Thema:

Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

1. Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow - Similar Threads - Writes Linux Samba

2. Connecting to a Samba Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  3. BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users

BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users: Hi folks There's a / several bug(s) reported (and I can concur) with current release of Samba (4.11.x) This will also affect Windows users if they want to access NAS or Linux servers using SAMBA where SAMBA has been upgraded to Version 4.11.x. where x is 1,2,3 etc. Version...
  4. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  5. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  6. How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?

How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?: I have OpenMediaVault running on an Odroid HC1 with stock Armbian OS. When I store a file on the SMB share on it, it gets the permissions of the default user. How do I connect as me? I have the same username and password on both machines. 123931
  7. Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares: Hi folks Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1 You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course. also in the samba config file ensure this...
  8. Samba share doesn't work

Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......
  9. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...
  10. Why is network sharing with android devices so slow using samba shares

Why is network sharing with android devices so slow using samba shares: I have found with Windows 10 that if I make a drive or directory available for use over a lan, using standard windows shares, and then try to copy a file to or from an android device, it is very slow, and at best I get 4 Mbits/second. However, if I use http protocols, I...