Windows 10: writing of the Ascii files takes too long!!

Discus and support writing of the Ascii files takes too long!! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; hi! since few days ago, I had to use the app called fullprof to doing some calculations/refinements exactely as Chris described in this thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JulioTedesco, Aug 21, 2018.

1. writing of the Ascii files takes too long!!

hi!
    since few days ago, I had to use the app called fullprof to doing some calculations/refinements exactely as Chris described in this thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/high-cpu-usage-by-cftmonexe-when-writing-an-ascii/e70bae38-924d-472f-8da9-f80f2e6b17fe?page=2

and now I've had the same problem...
    my computer is an ACER (IntelCore i7-6500U CPU@2.5GHz, 8GBRAM, Intel HD Graphics)...

I did everything suggesting on that topic... so, I do not need to describe everything again..

did you find how to fix it?
    or do we have to install linux?

:)

JulioTedesco, Aug 21, 2018
  2. Cehaho Win User

High CPU usage by cftmon.exe when writing an Ascii file

Since the fall creators update my computer behaves oddly strange.

I'm using a software called "Fullprof" which does some numerical calculation and in the end, saves them in an Ascii-File and reload the Ascii File so the program can show me the new values of my calculations.

The odd part is when fullprof starts writing the Ascii file on my HDD, one core (CPU Intel Core i5 6500 = 4 cores) goes straightly up to 100% because of ctfmon.exe and stays there for ~20s-5min. During this time the Computer is slowed down extremly, and
    after ctfmon.exe goes back to normal CPU usage Fullprof approves the writing of the Ascii.

Before fall creators update this process took under 1 second, now it's taking really long times. The more text (or values) is writtin in the Ascii, the longer ctfmon is blocking my cpu and therefor Fullprof. The Fullprof Team is aware of this problem since
    the update, but they can't find a solution because the Program uses a standard routine for writing Ascii which is (as far as I can understand) fully supported by windows.

On my private computer the same effect occured after I installed the fall creators update. I even tried the newest version of Fullprof, but also other programms that can write Ascii files show this process (e.g. an index tool that writes all subfolders in
    a list and saves the list as a *.txt file.

Is there any working solution or a workaround so ctfmon won't slow down my computer anymore? I have to perfom several hundred calculations a day on this machine and I really don't have the time to wait for so long

Best regards

Chris

Cehaho, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Cehaho Win User

1) & 2)

No changes at all were made, except for the Windows 10 updates. Currently both Windows Update are saying everything is up-to-date.

3) On both computers are different antivirus programs running, the working pc is running with Sophos Antivirus and my private pc with Avast Antivirus. I disabled Sophos when I got the notification for the Fall Creators Updates, my private PC was installed
    from scratch with the new creators update and Avast was added later (but still has the same issues like my working pc with Fullprof)

4) Other applications: Pebbles & Pebblejuggler (counting nanoparticles on electron-microscope images), Fiji (a.k.a. ImageJ), Notepad++ (when converting a hex-code file to ascii or converting something other to ascii), basically any application that writes
    an ascii file (not just saving, I really mean writing step by step)

5) on both machines: yes. Private computer is completly under my administration as well as the working pc. Only difference: the working pc uses it's pre-installed Dell software suite. No updates or issues reported by the suite. Also on both machines no yellow
    triangles in the device manager.

Bonus: on my private computer I made a clean install of all drivers to the latest version, but the problems remains unsolved

Cehaho, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Cehaho Win User

writing of the Ascii files takes too long!!

Another addition:

The ctfmon is using the cpu much longer, the longer the list of changes becomes inside fullprof.

Since an active calculation is signaled with an additional number als "flag" inside the ascii file, more calculated values are writting to the ascii file and ctfmon is running significant longer at 100% cpu (core 0).

So I made the hardcore test procedure, I refined (calculated) all possible values at once (50 values, this is the maximum for the "easier" structures) and stopped the time ctfmon takes, a whopping 18 minutes to write an 6 kilobyte file. And again, once the
    writing is finished, everything went back to normal, ctfmon idling at <0,5% cpu

With this result, I don't even dare to make a calculation with the more complex structures which have around 200 values.......

And just again to clarify.....ctfmon is only making trouble when writing the file, beside that it behaves completely normal and doesn't cause any problems! And also, it even shows this behaviour on a brand new, clean machine as well as on the currently used
    desktop pc's. So do me a favor, don't suggest to clean up my pc in general or make any perfomance tweaks....this is a real problem with windows itself and not a users fault.

We now have 8 different computers, ranging from various laptops, desktop-pc by Dell, 2 custom build desktop pc's that all show this problem. It doesn't matter if the OS is preinstalled or freshly new installed, it even doesn't matter if it was installed
    with previous Win10 version and updated to fall creators update or directly installed with fall creators update.

As you can see, I'm currently really disappointed because I got the feeling microsoft is ignoring the problem, all I got so far are general answers which are not referring to the actual problem although I'm providing (in my opinion) the proof for the actual
    problem

Cehaho, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

writing of the Ascii files takes too long!!

1. writing of the Ascii files takes too long!! - Similar Threads - writing Ascii files

2. Exe files take too long to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe files take too long to open: Hello, everybodyI'm using Windows 10, I have recently been facing a problem that every single exe file takes forever to open.At the beginning I though the issue was with only one file " a program I use for my work it always takes time to open", but recently, I've noticed that...
  3. Exe files take too long to open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exe files take too long to open: Hello, everybodyI'm using Windows 10, I have recently been facing a problem that every single exe file takes forever to open.At the beginning I though the issue was with only one file " a program I use for my work it always takes time to open", but recently, I've noticed that...
  4. Exe files take too long to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Diskpart takes too long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diskpart takes too long?: So i was about to make a 100% clean install of Windows 10 and cleaned my 512GB drive with diskpart clean all. I read that it should take about an hour per 320GB, but it's been going for more than 3½ hours! According to the named 320GB/hr. about a terabyte should be cleaned by...
  6. Update takes too long.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update takes too long.: 2022-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems KB5014666 takes way too much time than usual. I mean what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? I don't understand why people even use windows. so much disaster operating system. We can't waste an...
  7. Chkdsk is taking too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk is taking too long: My harddisk was taking too long to respond and copy stuff. So I formatted the hard drive using cmd prompt and it went successful but then I am running the chkdsk E: /f /r /x E: is the external harddrive. Now its at stage 5 and have about 24 crore cluster to read and it is...
  8. Chkdsk is taking too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk is taking too long: My harddisk was taking too long to respond and copy stuff. So I formatted the hard drive using cmd prompt and it went successful but then I am running the chkdsk E: /f /r /x E: is the external harddrive. Now its at stage 5 and have about 24 crore cluster to read and it is...
  9. Startup is taking too long

Startup is taking too long: Recently I turned my Toshiba Satellite laptop off incorrectly by pressing the power button for a hard shutdown. Once I turned it back on, it went straight into scan and repair mode for the C drive. That process took over 6 hours to complete. Once I got to the sign in screen,...
  10. Update is taking too long

Update is taking too long: its been almost 2 hrs . The white dots are atill soinning but the update is bot going further then 15% should i wait more ir try to restart .?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/update-is-taking-too-long/38928599-34e9-4134-bad5-452df72bcf54