Windows 10: Wrong cd key

Discus and support Wrong cd key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Guys I have just noticed that my current install is using an old Windows 7/8 temporary key rather than the Pro key that came with the retail box... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by swarfega, Nov 21, 2016.

1. swarfega Win User

Wrong cd key

Hi Guys

I have just noticed that my current install is using an old Windows 7/8 temporary key rather than the Pro key that came with the retail box I ordered.

I wonder what ramifications this might have and whether it might cause problems with the ecosystem.

:)

swarfega, Nov 21, 2016

2. Help !!!!!!!! Windows and other Products aren't activating after clean installl !!!

I found out what was wrong I was suppoesd to enter the CD key not product key that ruined my whole systems activation process.......

Buwaneka De Silva, Nov 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Product Key?

I upgraded to Windows 10 and reformatted my hard drive. Windows is asking me for a CD key. How can I tell what my CD key is and (if I accidentally installed the wrong version of Windows 10), how can I remedy the situation without reinstalling everything?

JoshJacobs, Nov 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Wrong cd key

You can use only one computer with a Product Key. OEM versions are tied to the computer they came installed on. Retail versions can be installed on a Replacement computer as long as the original installation does not exist. Win7 had a COA/Certificate of Authenticity sticker with the Product Key on it. Win8/8.1 obtained pre-installed did not, had it encoded in the BIOS [at least on the ones I bought and have worked on]. Your mention of the retail box begs the question, was it a Custom computer with Windows purchased separately and installed by the builder or an OEM/Brand name computer?

Berton, Nov 21, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as your Windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license and the Windows 10 Pro product key ends in -3V66T, you are fine.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    ah it is the -3v66T. I do have an activated Windows 10 in vmware. But I wonder why its not using my retail key.

swarfega, Nov 21, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Because the first Windows 10 originally on that computer came from an upgrade from Windows 7/8?

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  8. swarfega Win User

Wrong cd key

Yes I did the free upgrade before getting a retail box.

swarfega, Nov 21, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Now you have the retail product that you can save and use for a new installation! I would look at it as a good thing. As long as you have a legit license for every Windows 10 installation that you have, that's all that matters.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    Are we talking about different computers where the free upgrade is still on the computer first installed on? The Digital Entitlement is associated with your Microsoft Account. I just set up a new computer that came with Win10 Version 10240 [the original RTM], logged into my MS Account and got it Activated. It did take several hours to get it Upgraded and updated to the latest version last week, 1607 Build 14393.351, and now on Build 14393.447.

Berton, Nov 21, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    Its the same computer.I did the free upgrade install when that was available. I since bought a new license and then clean installed that on the same hardware.

The vmware installation seems to be using the same key.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wrong cd key

1. Wrong cd key - Similar Threads - Wrong key

2. Wrong shift keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong shift keys: Hello,my keyboard keeps on giving me wrong shift keys.I have tried to set the language to EnglishUK and English US but hasn't worked.It has a " on top of 2 and @ on the bottom right side of 2.It has # on top of 3,and £ on bottom right side of 3.Please help...
  3. Wrong shift keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong shift keys: Hello,my keyboard keeps on giving me wrong shift keys.I have tried to set the language to EnglishUK and English US but hasn't worked.It has a " on top of 2 and @ on the bottom right side of 2.It has # on top of 3,and £ on bottom right side of 3.Please help...
  4. Wrong bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong bitlocker key: The bitlocker screen on my laptop popped up and as usual I searched for the key in my microsoft account, but none of them align with the little hint for the key, the keys showing are from the OSV and FDV unity...
  5. Wrong bitlocker key

Wrong bitlocker key: The bitlocker screen on my laptop popped up and as usual I searched for the key in my microsoft account, but none of them align with the little hint for the key, the keys showing are from the OSV and FDV unity...
  6. Wrong bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Bit locker recovery key says something went wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit locker recovery key says something went wrong: Hello I try to retrieve bit locker key from the link for my registered laptop, it shows something happened.https://aka.ms/myrecoverykeyPlease help me out to get the bit locker key.Note : I have entered correct email id for my laptop device which was working earlier and...
  8. Bit locker recovery key says something went wrong

Bit locker recovery key says something went wrong: Hello I try to retrieve bit locker key from the link for my registered laptop, it shows something happened.https://aka.ms/myrecoverykeyPlease help me out to get the bit locker key.Note : I have entered correct email id for my laptop device which was working earlier and...
  9. Keyboard layout issue. The " and @ are on the wrong keys and I have no pound sign.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard layout issue. The " and @ are on the wrong keys and I have no pound sign.: The " and @ are on the wrong keys and I have no pound sign. Where there is a pound sign on my keyboard above the number 3, it'll input a #.I've tried messing around with the settings under Language and Region, but nothing seems to work. What's weirder is that I only started...
  10. Keyboard layout issue. The " and @ are on the wrong keys and I have no pound sign.

Keyboard layout issue. The " and @ are on the wrong keys and I have no pound sign.: The " and @ are on the wrong keys and I have no pound sign. Where there is a pound sign on my keyboard above the number 3, it'll input a #.I've tried messing around with the settings under Language and Region, but nothing seems to work. What's weirder is that I only started...