Windows 10: Wrong cd key

Discus and support Wrong cd key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Guys I have just noticed that my current install is using an old Windows 7/8 temporary key rather than the Pro key that came with the retail box... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by swarfega, Nov 21, 2016.

1. swarfega Win User

Wrong cd key

Hi Guys

I have just noticed that my current install is using an old Windows 7/8 temporary key rather than the Pro key that came with the retail box I ordered.

I wonder what ramifications this might have and whether it might cause problems with the ecosystem.

:)

swarfega, Nov 21, 2016

2. Help !!!!!!!! Windows and other Products aren't activating after clean installl !!!

I found out what was wrong I was suppoesd to enter the CD key not product key that ruined my whole systems activation process.......

Buwaneka De Silva, Nov 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Product Key?

I upgraded to Windows 10 and reformatted my hard drive. Windows is asking me for a CD key. How can I tell what my CD key is and (if I accidentally installed the wrong version of Windows 10), how can I remedy the situation without reinstalling everything?

JoshJacobs, Nov 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Wrong cd key

You can use only one computer with a Product Key. OEM versions are tied to the computer they came installed on. Retail versions can be installed on a Replacement computer as long as the original installation does not exist. Win7 had a COA/Certificate of Authenticity sticker with the Product Key on it. Win8/8.1 obtained pre-installed did not, had it encoded in the BIOS [at least on the ones I bought and have worked on]. Your mention of the retail box begs the question, was it a Custom computer with Windows purchased separately and installed by the builder or an OEM/Brand name computer?

Berton, Nov 21, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as your Windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license and the Windows 10 Pro product key ends in -3V66T, you are fine.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    ah it is the -3v66T. I do have an activated Windows 10 in vmware. But I wonder why its not using my retail key.

swarfega, Nov 21, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Because the first Windows 10 originally on that computer came from an upgrade from Windows 7/8?

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  8. swarfega Win User

Wrong cd key

Yes I did the free upgrade before getting a retail box.

swarfega, Nov 21, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Now you have the retail product that you can save and use for a new installation! I would look at it as a good thing. As long as you have a legit license for every Windows 10 installation that you have, that's all that matters.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    Are we talking about different computers where the free upgrade is still on the computer first installed on? The Digital Entitlement is associated with your Microsoft Account. I just set up a new computer that came with Win10 Version 10240 [the original RTM], logged into my MS Account and got it Activated. It did take several hours to get it Upgraded and updated to the latest version last week, 1607 Build 14393.351, and now on Build 14393.447.

Berton, Nov 21, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    Its the same computer.I did the free upgrade install when that was available. I since bought a new license and then clean installed that on the same hardware.

The vmware installation seems to be using the same key.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wrong cd key

1. Wrong cd key - Similar Threads - Wrong key

2. windows 10 dell computer some keys the rest type wrong and by themselves same letters or...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 dell computer some keys the rest type wrong and by themselves same letters or...: windows 10 dell computer wacky typing partially problem might have switched to a non us keyboard while trying to fix this random typing problem. which something I hit turned off the computer. Now I can't get in example some keys dont work at all a lot of them. my 9s are q's I...
  3. Find Windows 10 Product Key Using Notepad always give me wrong product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Find Windows 10 Product Key Using Notepad always give me wrong product key: I followed https://official-kmspico.com/windows-10-product-key and Find Windows 10 Product Key Using Notepad I copied the code to a text file: Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  4. wrong product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    wrong product key: i have entered wrong win 10 key in my genuine activated win 10 home laptop how to get back my genuine key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-product-key/db646134-1023-4abe-ba18-e6c75563cb14"
  5. Wrong key presses

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong key presses: I am trying to get used to a new keyboard. At bottom left it has Ctrl, Fn, Windows and Alt. When I go to press Ctrl-Alt, I accidentally press Ctrl-something else, either Fn or Windows. What do these combinations do, and how best to get out of the situation? One of these seems...
  6. Lenovo laptop keyboard keys give wrong values when pressed after update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo laptop keyboard keys give wrong values when pressed after update.: Hi, I was typing a report on MS Word, everything was OK at first, but suddenly the keys on my keyboard started writing incorrect values. For example, the A key writes S, the S key writes F, the F key writes K... And all the other keys also gave the wrong values, including...
  7. Fonts installing into wrong registry key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fonts installing into wrong registry key: Hello. When I download and install fonts to my pc, they show up in the fonts folder, but not in the hkey_localmachine registry like the standard ones do, so they don't work and they can't be deleted. I found that the fonts are going to the hkey_user registry. How do I fix...
  8. My keyboard types the wrong keys

My keyboard types the wrong keys: It all started when I replaced my laptop battery. After that, I realized that some of my keys like the b, s, or spacebar key didn't work. I used a keyboard tester after that, and it turns out those keys got rebinded. My s key turned into F12, my spacebar turned into the pause...
  9. my f-keys are doing wrong things

my f-keys are doing wrong things: Normally I have the function keys f6,f7,f7 to control volume but for some reason now they simply don't work, I never used to need to hold down the fn key and when I do it still doesn't work. The keys themselves are still functional. It just seems as though they do different...
  10. I press a key on keyboard but get wrong symbol

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I press a key on keyboard but get wrong symbol: A few days ago this issue appeared. I hit button on the keyboard, for instance A but I see “asd” on the screen. The same problem with some other buttons instead of S I see “sdf”....