Windows 10: wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

Discus and support wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: )... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by babis49, Jan 26, 2016.

1. babis49 Win User

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system [​IMG]
    Hi guys
    in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect
    Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition
    Disk 1 : clone of disk 0
    problem description : I see in msconfig / boot a wrong listing
    windows 10 ( C:\WINDOWS) : Current OS ; Default OS
    windows 8.1 pro ( H:\WINDOWS ) instead of ( E:\WINDOWS )
    nevertheless the dual booting works fine as well as the shift between the disks via BIOS.
    The question is , could I fix the situation using the EasyBCD of Neosmart Technologies to edit the bootloader ?
    I see can change drive letter H: to E: and save the change , am I right or wrong ?
    or any other way
    any help appreciated , thanks .

:)

babis49, Jan 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 displays wrong boot system in msconfig! Problem?

Hi,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue persists.

Refer to the following Microsoft article and look under the section: Set up accounts
    to create a new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 26, 2016
  3. WizardWN Win User
    Windows 10 displays wrong boot system in msconfig! Problem?

Hi,

I created a new user account and made it admin also. Ran msconfig and it comes out the same "Windows 7(C:\Windows):Current OS;Default OS".

I included my disk management setup. Does this look normal?

I have another computer (identical hardware) which is setup the same way.

msconfig shows "Windows 10(C:\Windows):Current OS;Default OS"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c drive is a solid state drive

d drive is cdrom

e drive is harddrive documents, video, pictures and downloads directories are redirected here

f drive is a usb removable used for office backup files (removed at time of upgrade)

Anymore ideas?

Thank You

WizardWN, Jan 26, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

from Admin command, type: bcdboot E:\Windows
    From msconfig, delete the entry pointing to H:

topgundcp, Jan 26, 2016
  5. babis49 Win User
    hi , Topgundcp
    your instructions hit the target , now everything is ok and I have a wonderfull dual boot system again

you really helped me , thanks a lot !!!

babis49, Jan 27, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Great. Thanks for reporting back.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system - Similar Threads - wrong drive letter

2. After Reseting Dual booting OS not shown In msCONFIG

in Windows 10 Customization
    After Reseting Dual booting OS not shown In msCONFIG: Hey guys,I thought to reset windows 10 while i was dual booting win11 and win10.after successfully resetting my msconfig window is not showing windows 11 os but the partition where i installed win11 is ok. how to fix itAttaching PICS for reference...….NOTE: WIN11 is on simbly...
  3. weird system drive letter on dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    weird system drive letter on dual boot: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...
  4. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager booting to the wrong drive: Hello, Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I just wanted to update to a M.2. I would now like to format the old drives and use them as storage. I've read that I can do this...
  5. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  6. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  7. Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot: I have installed Windows 10 2004 on my new SSD leaving the old hard drive in 1903. I was under the impression that you'd be allowed to access files from the hard drive if they were in dual boot, however the hard drive doesn't show up in windows 10. When using disk management,...
  8. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  9. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...
  10. Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install

Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install: Hi, I've installed W10 in my laptop in a dual boot configuration with W7 successfully. I used this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html I'm setting up to do the same thing in my desktop and have a couple questions about drive letter designation...