Windows 10: wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

Discus and support wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: )... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by babis49, Jan 26, 2016.

1. babis49 Win User

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system [​IMG]
    Hi guys
    in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect
    Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition
    Disk 1 : clone of disk 0
    problem description : I see in msconfig / boot a wrong listing
    windows 10 ( C:\WINDOWS) : Current OS ; Default OS
    windows 8.1 pro ( H:\WINDOWS ) instead of ( E:\WINDOWS )
    nevertheless the dual booting works fine as well as the shift between the disks via BIOS.
    The question is , could I fix the situation using the EasyBCD of Neosmart Technologies to edit the bootloader ?
    I see can change drive letter H: to E: and save the change , am I right or wrong ?
    or any other way
    any help appreciated , thanks .

:)

babis49, Jan 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 displays wrong boot system in msconfig! Problem?

Hi,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue persists.

Refer to the following Microsoft article and look under the section: Set up accounts
    to create a new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 26, 2016
  3. WizardWN Win User
    Windows 10 displays wrong boot system in msconfig! Problem?

Hi,

I created a new user account and made it admin also. Ran msconfig and it comes out the same "Windows 7(C:\Windows):Current OS;Default OS".

I included my disk management setup. Does this look normal?

I have another computer (identical hardware) which is setup the same way.

msconfig shows "Windows 10(C:\Windows):Current OS;Default OS"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c drive is a solid state drive

d drive is cdrom

e drive is harddrive documents, video, pictures and downloads directories are redirected here

f drive is a usb removable used for office backup files (removed at time of upgrade)

Anymore ideas?

Thank You

WizardWN, Jan 26, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

from Admin command, type: bcdboot E:\Windows
    From msconfig, delete the entry pointing to H:

topgundcp, Jan 26, 2016
  5. babis49 Win User
    hi , Topgundcp
    your instructions hit the target , now everything is ok and I have a wonderfull dual boot system again

you really helped me , thanks a lot !!!

babis49, Jan 27, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Great. Thanks for reporting back.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system - Similar Threads - wrong drive letter

2. Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Dual boot system shows mirrored drives as foreign: I have a dual boot system running win 10 on both drives (one 256Gb SSD and one a 2 Tb 7200 rpm). I am using two 4Tb drives mirrored for storage. When I boot to the SSD the disc manager says the two 4Tb drives are foreign. I can import them back in and they work fine but now...
  3. Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot: Hi, I am have a Win10 and an XP box. I recently tried the XP drive in the box which to date has run Win10. XP booted wittout any issue and I spent some time to install the current system drivers and the system seems stable. So I'd now like to mount the two drives in the...
  4. Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System

Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System: Dual-boot system Partition C:\ = Windows 10 Pro Partition E:\ = Windows 7 Pro Would it be possible to switch the OSs? I have applications to clone one partition to another but my concern are the already installed apps being functional. Did a Google search and all I found...
  5. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has installed Fedora alongside Win 10 and how easy it actually is? I've done it before with Opensuse but I know yast don't play well with Windows. I've read that Fedora works great alongside Windows but I haven't tried to...
  6. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...
  7. Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install

Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install: Hi, I've installed W10 in my laptop in a dual boot configuration with W7 successfully. I used this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html I'm setting up to do the same thing in my desktop and have a couple questions about drive letter designation...
  8. Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe

Reinstalling Dual Boot System - Maybe: Since Windows 8.1 core OEM has the Sear.ch malware on it and I have a Windows 8.1 Pro key, I'm going to format the partition and reinstall. I have the flash drive ready with Windows 8.1 Pro on it. At the same time I'm going to format the partition and reinstall Windows 10...
  9. dual booting

dual booting: Hi. I would like to dual booting windows 7 and windows 10. I would like install W10 on a second hd. Is that possible? My PC has an additional drive bay, which I would install W10. I really do not understand about the licensing agreement. How does not work? I am in the Insider...
  10. Dual Boot?

Dual Boot?: I don't want to lose my Windows 7 so I want to buy Windows 10 (Which way is the best way to buy it?) then put it on another hard drive and dual boot. My Windows 7 has a BIOS and Windows 10 uses UEFI so how can I use a dual boot? In my BIOS is say's "Legacy and BIOS" or just...