Windows 10: wrong icon for certain file types windows 10

Discus and support wrong icon for certain file types windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had installed a program to convert some video files to a type I can play with an xbox. After I downloaded the program I noticed a bunch of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mewcifer, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mewcifer Win User

wrong icon for certain file types windows 10

I had installed a program to convert some video files to a type I can play with an xbox.
    After I downloaded the program I noticed a bunch of the icons on my desktop were now this:

wrong icon for certain file types windows 10 [​IMG]

I immediately uninstalled the program and ran virus scans.
    The virus scans showed nothing and uninstalling the program did not fix it.

It is affecting rtf and iso files that I am aware of.
    I changed the rtf default program and the icons switched over to the new program.
    But when switched back to the program I wanted, it was back to this icon.
    Editing to add: The files still open just fine in the program I have set for them and everything.

I made a txt file and changed it to the default program I use for rtfs and it showed the proper icon just fine.
    So the issue is definitely linked to the file extension.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

Mewcifer, Jun 10, 2016

2. my nokia 5800 xpress music can not play some songs

Hi,

If you see a "?" icon next to any type of file when accessing the memory card thru file manager, that means that the phone does not recognize the file type. At this point, if a certain file type changed to a "?" icon then there is something wrong. It is
    also possible that there is virus infection on the firmware.

The best way to initially resolve this is to back-up your data, update the firmware(even if you already has the latest firmware) then try the songs again.

Hope this helps.

angelrico101, Jun 10, 2016
  3. html icons turned into white pages for all icon sizes

I used File Types Manager and I reset the icon to the Firefox icon.

However as a test I went back into Windows and changed the association to Edge and the icon wouldn't switch away from Firefox. So something is definitely wrong with my HTML icons. As far as I can tell the rest seem ok.

Thanks for the tip on File Types Manager because at least it switched the icon away from the blank paper. But something in my Windows 10 is hosed.

Al_COREtreeservice, Jun 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  5. Mewcifer Win User
    Mewcifer, Jun 10, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    I do not understand this part of your explanation. Can you explain what these programs are? There must be some preferences set up in the program you are using that changes the default .rtf file associations.

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  7. Mewcifer Win User
    My default program for rtf files is wordpad. But this issue is also affecting iso files and rar files. (which would be opened with daemon tools and winrar respectively).
    And when I change my default program for txt files to wordpad instead of notebook the icons are the normal wordpad icon instead of this weird blank icon. So it is affecting certain filetypes and not certain programs.

Editing: although, when I did change the default program for rtf files to notebook, they showed the notebook icons instead of the blank icon. But when changed back to wordpad, broken again. It seems that certain filetype and program combinations are not working to show the proper icon (although opening the files still works normal)

I am assuming that it's whatever combination were there when the glitch(?) occurred and affected.

Mewcifer, Jun 10, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Jun 11, 2016
  9. Mewcifer Win User
    Mewcifer, Jun 11, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Jun 11, 2016
  11. Mewcifer Win User
    It had nothing to do with default programs or file type associations.....

But I had to system restore to fix it. So I guess it's fixed now.

Mewcifer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. wrong icon for certain file types windows 10 - Similar Threads - wrong icon certain

2. keys typing wrong characters on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keys typing wrong characters on windows 10: Hello,so basically the keyboard in my laptop is typing wrong characters: the "P" key types P and right after opens the context menu, and when I press context menu key it does the same thing; the backspace key does not work unless I hold it for a while, and sometimes it types...
  3. keys typing wrong characters on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keys typing wrong characters on windows 10: Hello,so basically the keyboard in my laptop is typing wrong characters: the "P" key types P and right after opens the context menu, and when I press context menu key it does the same thing; the backspace key does not work unless I hold it for a while, and sometimes it types...
  4. Keyboard typing wrong letters on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Keyboard typing wrong letters on Windows 10: Are you facing trouble with your keyboard? Is your keyboard typing the wrong letters? If yes, this post may help you. Here, we will describe some solutions to fix keyboard typing wrong letters. Sometimes, the problem is not as complicated as users think. Hence, before you...
  5. installing wrong file type

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing wrong file type: I'm trying to install a file but the file it the wrong file type and I don't understand why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-wrong-file-type/38fa8c33-dcf2-4d98-9325-080069221beb
  6. Windows: I cannot save files of a certain extension type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows: I cannot save files of a certain extension type: I can no longer use a program to save files of a certain extension type. I'm using Windows Pro version 1909 .bp bravo prodigy it worked fine before recent updates the file name appears in the recent folder but has zero data...
  7. Files downloading as the wrong type of file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files downloading as the wrong type of file.: I am trying to download .rar files they are mods for a game, The Sims to be specific and when they download, they become photoshop files. I cannot open them in photoshop either, and I want them to stop downloading as photoshop files. They're still .rar files technically, but...
  8. Wrong file type

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong file type: I downloaded some community made stuff for a game but when i extract the zip file they dont show up as .blk (how it should be) but instead as autocad extraction Te and when i look up how to change the file type i tried but no luck.. any help? -thx submitted by /u/clavinZKL...
  9. icon not displaying, but only for certain files...

in Windows 10 Support
    icon not displaying, but only for certain files...: I doubt that anyone will be able to help me, but thought I'd ask anyway... My problem involves the music notation software Finale, version 2012. When using Windows Explorer, the standard Finale icon displays for .bak files (backup copies) but not for the proper notation...
  10. Some file type show wrong icon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some file type show wrong icon.: Hello, i'm using windows 10 insider now in build 10547, recently some file with specified extension showing the wrong icon, all the wrong icon is same as in the screenshoot: [img] All error files have icon same like this picture, but all file is can opened with right...