Windows 10: Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable SSL Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mrmatteastwood, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable SSL Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

Web security certificates are used to ensure a site that users go to is legitimate, and in some circumstances, encrypts the data.

By default, Microsoft Edge allows overriding of the security warnings to sites that have SSL errors, bypassing or ignoring certificate errors.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17713 (announced in Windows 10 build 17723), you can use a new Prevent certificate error overrides group policy to enable or disable users from bypassing the security warning to sites that have SSL errors.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable web security SSL certificate error overrides in Microsoft Edge for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable certificate error overrides in Microsoft Edge.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Certificate error overrides enabled and disabled in Microsoft Edge

Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Prevent certificate error overrides policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you want.

5. To Enable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Internet Settings

PreventCertErrorOverrides DWORD

delete = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want.

2. To Enable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_certificate_error_overrides_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

3. To Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_certificate_error_overrides_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

mrmatteastwood, Aug 13, 2016
  2. Josh7 Win User

Microsoft Edge Security Certificate Error?

In Microsoft Edge browser no matter what website I go to this error pops up.

I've tried a bunch of different things already with no prevail.

Anyone got a fix for this? I'd Appreciate it.

Josh7, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Edge with Certificate errors

Hi,

There are different causes of certificate errors. Let's look into some things to have a better idea of what is causing this problem and come up with a fix for it. Kindly answer these questions:

• Do you get any errors when accessing the same websites using a different browser?
    • Did this start after installing updates on the computer?
    • What antivirus software do you have on the computer?

Let's make sure that the computer's date and time settings are updated. Follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Choose Time & language.
    • Switch on Set time automatically.

You can find additional information about certificate errors on this
    page

We look forward to your reply.

Ruz San, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

No Internet Access. Certificate Error?

Hi Lungi,

Certificate errors occur when there's a problem with a certificate or a web server's use of the certificate. A website's certificate identifies the web server and it enables Internet Explorer to establish a secure connection with the site. Internet Explorer
    can help keep your information more secure by warning you about certificate errors.

We would suggest that you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1:
    Perform System File Checker
    (SFC) scan

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Step 2:
    Clean boot

It will start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and start up programs. It will also eliminate software conflicts that could occur when you install a program, or an update, or when you run a program in Windows.

Step 3: Clear cache and cookies from the Microsoft Edge browser.

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More Action at the right top corner.
    • Click on Settings, click on Choose what to clear under
      Clear browsing data.
    • Select the Browsing history, caches and cookies and hit
      Clear
    • Close the browser and try to open it again.

In addition, you may check this article for more information about
    Certificate errors: FAQ

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Oct 27, 2019
  5. what is the microsoft edge content process and is it ok to disable it

Hi Romip,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I would recommend you not to disable the Microsoft Edge content process as its required for the functioning of the Microsoft Edge.

Try the following steps and check if it helps:

Step 1:

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on
    How can I clear and manage cookies in Microsoft Edge?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/edge-privacy-faq

If the issue persists then follow the below step.

Step 2:

Make sure your computer is up to date:

Please check your Windows updates (including optional updates).

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Select Check for Update.

• Download and Install the latest Windows Updates.
    You may receive updates related to Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Oct 27, 2019
  6. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

1. Disable Certificate Error Overrides in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Certificate Error

2. Disable Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Disable Microsoft Edge: I am about to perform a Clean Install of Win 10 Pro and I will be using Google Chrome [ offline installer already downloaded ready ] as my Browser. I do NOT want Microsoft Edge available [ popups, icons etc ]. I know that I can NOT delete it because of the impact that it has...
  3. Edge override Adobe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge override Adobe: WE created 3D modules in Adobe and need Adobe acrobat reader to open these files.. The problem is that Edge always overrule the pdf reader.. If Edge and Microsoft for that matter want to override everything, why don't they give us a workable solution or leave adobe as the...
  4. Disable windows codesign certificate check

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable windows codesign certificate check: I like to create a custom version of this open source project: https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce for personal use (I like to add more features). Unfortunatenly the developer stop the support and the only way is modify the source code. In short this project extend the...
  5. Disable windows codesign certificate check

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable windows codesign certificate check: Hi at all, I like to create a custom version of this open source project: https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce for personal use (I like to add more features). Unfortunatenly the developer stop the support and the only way is modify the source code. In short this project...
  6. Enroll certificates via InTune > Group Policy overrides MDM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enroll certificates via InTune > Group Policy overrides MDM: Hello, We want to deploy User Certificates via Intune. Our certification authority is active, the template is ready for issuing and a profile configuration is created. But the enrolment failed. The error in Intune is "Group Policy overrides MDM". The computer is not...
  7. MS Edge: Website Certificate Errors

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge: Website Certificate Errors: My problem is I find MS Edge does not always react the same to sites that appear to have website certificate error problems. The following two url's are basically for the same site, due to a change in the name of the government department at some or other stage. Daily...
  8. Microsoft Edge Security Certificate Error?

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Security Certificate Error?: In Microsoft Edge browser no matter what website I go to this error pops up. I've tried a bunch of different things already with no prevail. Anyone got a fix for this? I'd Appreciate it. [img] 55109
  9. Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...
  10. Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssl certificate error overrides